1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Head ref speaks out on the Weddle hold

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So he basically says that it was Florence who held. Then he goes on to say that Adai held Weddle.

So it is OK for the refs to blow such a big call because they might have missed something elsewhere? Like the Colts O line holding every damn down.

He just admitted that Weddle was not holding, instead was held. The officiating in this game was horribly leaning towards the Colts. The refs tried to have an impact on the game by favoring them.

The fouls on Colts were ignored, and some were made up against the Chargers. I am not a conspiracy theorist, but this was an attempt at fixing the game at some level.

The fact is that they blew this call. Weddle was held, and they missed another call. So it is ok to throw a flag every down and search for something to complain about?

This is BS and the squad that reffed the game should be disciplined.

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I couldn't agree more, they need to feel the pain in their wallet, esp that spanner who saw PI on Hart.

But they won't it'll be a whitewash.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Helmutt

Helmutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PcFtcoo0ic4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PcFtcoo0ic4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Basically what Mike Pereira said was defending the refs (wow, really?) saying it's ok they completely fukked up the Wweddle call because Florence was holding.

W T F

That "oopsie!" could have cost us the game. DUNCE

5. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

I don't mind missed calls that much, that's just the human factor coming into play. What pisses me off is throwing a flag when no penalty occurred. Both the hold on Weddle and the phantom PI on Hart are perfect examples. You might have an excuse for missing something that happened but their is no excuse for throwing a flag when nothing happened. :tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Exactly. If you really wanted to, you could probably call holding on every long return. But defending a phantom call by saying someone else didn't get called for holding is bush league. These guys will never just admit when they're wrong without trying to justify it somehow.

I have another officiating beef. On the Colts 2nd to last drive, why did they get to count the completion to Clark and the foul on Phillips for hands to the face? The official said that, "Since it occured while the pass was in the air, it will be assessed from the end of the play." Actually, it occured as Clark came off the line, well before the ball was in the air.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good point.:yes:

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    This game looked like it was an attempted fix. I cant believe that is actually the case, but what was that crew doing in the Playoffs.

If it is the fact that these are 'all star' teams, then they need to keep crews together all the way through.

9. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Well if you think this game was bad, wait 'til this weekend.
    The ref's working theory will be, "If the Chargers succeed, they must be cheating in order to do so."
    So there will be at least one "Roughing the Passer" call for getting within three feet of Brady, another phantom PI call, and at least one obscure penalty timed perfectly to give NE a fresh set of downs after a failed third down attempt.
    Favoritism in sports officiating? Never!
    Tommy Glavin's strike zone DID NOT basically include both sides of the batters' box.
    BTW: I'm amazed the head ref even bothered to throw out a lame, one-size-fits-all, canned excuse for the penalty that negated AC's touchdown.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

I am still pissed when they called that on Seau years ago. He never touched the primadona!:icon_evil:

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    You guys really look pathetic.

It was told and it was CRYSTAL CLEAR that when at anytime your hands are outside the frame of the defender, it is holding - period.

To say there was NO FOUL when it is clear that Weddles hand was on the outside portion of the defenders arm (not by much), he was guilty nonetheless.

Yeah it sucks.

Yeah it was ticky tack.....But do not say there was no foul because now you look really pathetic.

12. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Dood, I hear you t-man. I think the outrage here is more about the "principle" that the refs were looking for ways to give the Colts an advantage. Aren't the refs supposed to let 'em play in the post season? I mean I understand you gotta call the obvious stuff, but ticky tack penalties aren't supposed to decide games in the playoffs. I think most of us believe that, had Weddle been a Colts player, no flag would have been thrown.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is precisely why the NFL officiating has escaped the same fate as the NBA's. It's more complex, there are more players involved and the absence of a call can go unnoticed. The line between calls and non calls can easily be blurred.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I went back and have seen the game at least 6 times now and watched the NFL Networks feed as well last night.

Being totally objective, the part which is amazing is the only call which was borderline, may have been the phantom PI call. We never saw a good replay to see if Hart's left arm impeded the WR at the end of the route. One angle suggests that Harts arm was across the midsection of the WR before the ball arrived.

When I look back at all the calls, it is the announcers who speculated and pontificated how those were bad calls and the refs were out to get the Chargers.

I saw a 15 yard penalty on the Colts RT for a left hook which floored S.Phillips which if the refs were indeed paid off or whatever, would most likely not have been called.

The sense I got is the fans started frothing at the mouth on cue when Dear-dork opened his pie hole because people can not think for themselves.

15. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Anyone have a link to the actual transcript?

16. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Triplett is a POS ref, maybe the worst in the league. Here's the REAL unfortunate part:

We get him again this week. :tdown::tdown::tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    He had something on his lip. It looked like a sore. Whatever it was it bothered me and not unlike that **** stain on Drew Brees' face. I bet he is sucking dick for NFL cash. :lol:

Speaking of being bothered, no one unloaded on Florence for giving up on the Gonzalez TD. There was no whistle after McCree's hit. Flo thought Gonzalez stepped out of bounds and gave up.

No mother effing whistle means you keep playing.

Next, McCree almost cost us the game by removing his helmet after we stopped Manning with 2:01 left in the game. No one mentioned this bone headed move and we got lucky. If the refs were paid off, they would have called this penalty for removing the helmet and Manning would have had a fresh set of downs inside the 10 yard line or so with the score 24-28.

18. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

I saw that as well, we dodged a bullet there. That was stupid.

BTW, Triplett is the same guy that did the Chargers @ Titans game. There were a lot of OL holding non-calls for the Titans.

19. LightningStrikes

LightningStrikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Bad calls happen every game. Good teams overcome them like we did in Indy. Still, there seems to be an extraordinary amount of calls that have gone against the Chargers during these playoffs. So much so that it does have to make you wonder if the NFL is trying to influence the results of these games if they're close. It is no secret that the Chargers in the Super bowl wouldn't be the marque matchup the the NFL wants.

20. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    You don't get it do you?

Bill Polian, GM of the Colts is on the Competition Committee the group in charge of disciplining Refs.

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Our O-Line did a great job...a great job of holding as well. :yes: We got away with **** so it evens out.

Freaking Chargers fans need to get a grip and not buy the lies and starting thinking for themselves instead of letting meatheads such as Dear-dork announce them into a psychosis of bullshit.

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The Competition Rules Committee is governed by many including head coaches (Jeff Fisher is on the committee) so what is your point?

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    i call BS on this report

"Well yeah we made a big mistake that cost the team seven points and yeah my balls have been over the fire since that happened but look here's this other penalty we missed so it really wasn't that bad"

He ****ed up royally, he did so because he wanted the Colts to win and he's trying to cover his ***.

24. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Lions' Millen named to NFL's competition committee
    Associated Press

Updated: August 4, 2006, 11:30 AM ET
    Email
    Print
    ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Detroit Lions president Matt Millen has been appointed to the NFL's competition committee.

Millen will fill the seat vacated when Charley Casserly resigned as general manager of the Houston Texans earlier this year, NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced Friday.

"Matt will bring a very valuable perspective to the committee both as a former player and as a senior club executive," Tagliabue said.

Other members of the committee include Atlanta GM Rich McKay, Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher, Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis, New York Giants co-owner John Mara, Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome, Indianapolis president Bill Polian and Carolina president Mark Richardson.

Well, at least NE is not represented on the committee.

25. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    It was a very poor call . We over came it. The pass interference on Hart was bs and the pick up of the PI flag with no replay on the Rivers was outside the box was clearly again a call that was home field officiating at is ugliest.

When refs stand out as they did it was a poor game on their part. The fact that so many have commented on it including the N.F.L. only confirms that in fact was not a highlight moment for this crew.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    After watching NFL Replay last night I'm amazed at how much blatant holding the Colts oline got away with.

I'm not all that confident in a well-called game this weekend either. :unsure:

27. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    That was classic, it was PI, but they changed it to Illegal Contact so they could pick up the flag using the "QB outside the box BS rule".

28. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Looks like they NFL loaded up the Conf Championships for the Home team.

This guy is just throwing out the stats and states it as such. He based the stats on the Triplette's Regular Season crew and this one is mixed, but he does have some of his guys.

Link

The Guy calling the Packers game is also a big homer slant ref.

29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Conspiracy anyone?:icon_evil:

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I think we need to run some pick plays using the refs. :yes:

After the entire zebra crew gets decimated, we can do our thing.

• Like Like x 1