1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltsFanUK, Aug 26, 2012.

1. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Ricky Henne Managing Editor Chargers.com

Larry English[​IMG] is fully healthy, and according to his teammates, the rest of the NFL better take notice.

“To be honest with you, Larry has been unblockable for the last 10 days of camp,” Take Spikes said following Friday night’s win at Minnesota. ‘We all know he can play, so if he continues to stay healthy, this is his year. 2012 is his year. It gives us that much more depth.”
    English certainly backed up those words with an outstanding performance against the Vikings. The fourth-year linebacker and former first round pick had two sacks along with four tackles, two for a loss, and two additional QB pressures. It was just a glimpse of what he is capable of doing now that he is healthy after missing 19 games the last two seasons with a myriad of injuries.
    “It feels great to be completely healthy, especially coming down a long road to be here at this point right now,” he said. “I’m just really grateful and focused on the future. I feel fortunate and I’m just excited to go play how I’m capable of this year.”

Head coach Norv Turner feels equally fortunate to have a healthy English back and ready to wreak havoc on opposing quarterbacks.

“Larry is building and getting momentum,” he said as he addressed the media after the team’s 12-10 win. “He practiced that way Monday and Tuesday against the Cowboys, and he is really rolling in terms of his speed, his technique and he’s worked hard and improved his pass rush skills. And he’s healthy. And I think when you’re healthy you keep building and create momentum for yourself, and that’s what he’s doing.”

Still, despite his glowing performance, English was quick to deflect the praise off of him individually and instead complimented the team as a whole and defensive coordinator John Pagano’s schemes and game plan .

“As a defensive line and outside linebackers, we just did a great job of pressuring the quarterbacks today,” he said. “We got after it at times. We knew they were going to scramble going into the game, so we had the mindset of keeping them contained but at the same time not slowing down our rush at all. So I think we just did a good job of accomplishing that goal….Coach Pagano is really big on pressuring the quarterback and creating turnovers, because as a defense, if you can do that, you can win football games, and that’s what we did tonight.”
    Still, there is no denying the direct impact English had on coming out of Minnesota victorious, and the 26-year old seems capable of having a breakout season in 2012 now that he is completely healthy. General Manger A.J. Smith certainly feels that way, as he addressed English’s tremendous talents earlier in the week.

“Larry English is a guy who I have said from day one is extremely talented,” he stated. “I think all of us within the organization have known that. He has unfortunately had some setbacks, most notably multiple operations on his foot, but he’s maintained and moved forward. Right now, knock on wood, for this season he’s been relatively healthy. He’s a man on a mission and has absolutely been fantastic in our training camp. We see him as a pass rusher – we always have – and he has particularly in the last week or so been incredibly explosive off the edge. His attitude is still right there, which is hard for a guy to do when you’ve been knocked down so much and disappointed so much. As far as his development, all he needs to be is healthy. If he can remain healthy, the rest will take care of itself.”

Source: http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Healthy-English-Channeling-Potential-Into-Results/2b492a5d-f55d-4650-8ec7-d170f0d9bbdf
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Feb 3, 2012
    Having watched our tackles, I'm not sure that English being unblockable is an indication of much of anything...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    I'm just happy he's healthy and contributing. He doesn't have to be the replacement for Merriman (thank you Melvin Ingram) but if we can get anything out of him, it's an improvement
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

He's healthy & contributing. That's excellent news.

Now work on some pass-rushing moves besides an outside speed rush & we might have something.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Oct 28, 2009
    Larry has a passable bull rush from what I've observed. Don't know if he'll ever be able to match Melvin's spin move, but it's a start.
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    Could be a formidable one two punch for a good defensive coordinator to use; someone who can charge through versus one that can go around tackles
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Aug 15, 2006
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

CHARGERS: Finally healthy, English looks forward to season
    Chargers linebacker Larry English works during training camp earlier this summer. JAMIE SCOTT LYTLE | jlytle@nctimes.com

SAN DIEGO ---- Chargers linebacker Larry English was supposed to be the heir apparent to Shawne Merriman.
    But injuries have made it difficult for English to make much of an impact since being selected in the first round of the 2009 draft.
    The problem with English is not his sack dance. It's that he hasn't had a chance to use it. Foot injuries have hindered his routine, with one unsuccessful procedure after another. After appearing in 16 games as a rookie, he played in just eight in 2010 and five last season.
    English has lived in a blissful routine this preseason. It has been practice, practice, game, practice. There's no break for exhaustion or injury, a true blessing considering the injuries he has had.
    "I can't tell you how much I love this preseason, day in and day out," English said. "For the first time in a long time, I don't worry about my foot. I don't even think about it. I just go out there and go play. I know what I can do and what I'm capable of. I know what I can do. That's all that matters right now."
    Injury reports used to be the top priority. Foot surgeries sapped English's playing power over the last few years, but that has become a thing of the recent past. Hamstring trouble hampered him early in training camp, but now his presence has become positively mundane.
    Yes, English showed up to practice. Who cares?
    The Chargers do. They want him to be part of a solid rotation at outside linebacker, one of five who can get after the quarterback.
    In recent weeks, English certainly has. He has two sacks and seven tackles during the preseason.
    "That's a credit to getting healthy," English said. "I feel like I have my explosiveness back. Speed was my thing, and I'm able to get to the quarterback pretty fast. But I still see things when I look at the tape that I can sharpen up. I'm confident, but I know I can get better."
    Mental confidence is one thing. Confidence in your body is something different. That was a learned trait for English. He can rely on his foot and spring off it. Speed was English's finest attribute, what got him to the quarterback the fastest.
    "Repetition is the key to overall confidence," English said. "If you can do things physically, then you can have fun just playing football. That's something I've missed and something I truly enjoy. I'm excited about what this year and this season has in store."
    English has the explosiveness deserving of praise, quickness that is an asset in the Chargers' constant quest for the quarterback. With speed, he doesn't need moves.
    "He's had that, and the last time he played a regular season game he had two sacks," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "It's just been a long time since he's been truly healthy. I think we can take some pressure off him and use him in a rotation that will keep him from playing an unusual number of snaps."
    The expectations are low, but they won't go away. English needs to get to the quarterback on a regular basis. The weight is clearly off his shoulders, leaving him poised for the first legitimate season of his career.
    After three seasons, English is finally ready to show what he can do.
    "I'm definitely having fun, and I'm excited for what this season has in store," English said. "I want to produce. I can produce big numbers. I'm excited that I'm healthy enough to be given a chance."
    The last regular-season game English played in came against the Miami Dolphins in September 2011, when he had two sacks. That was almost a year ago, but English doesn't want to use it as a benchmark. He believes he's way better now.
    "I was able to make some plays that game, but I was still coming off an injury," English said. "I feel like I'm in a much better place even than I was then. I'm ready to use the clean slate I've been given, and become the player everyone expects me to be."