1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Healthy English looking forward

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    CHARGERS: Finally healthy, English looks forward to season

SAN DIEGO ---- Chargers linebacker Larry English was supposed to be the heir apparent to Shawne Merriman.

But injuries have made it difficult for English to make much of an impact since being selected in the first round of the 2009 draft.

The problem with English is not his sack dance. It's that he hasn't had a chance to use it. Foot injuries have hindered his routine, with one unsuccessful procedure after another. After appearing in 16 games as a rookie, he played in just eight in 2010 and five last season.

English has lived in a blissful routine this preseason. It has been practice, practice, game, practice. There's no break for exhaustion or injury, a true blessing considering the injuries he has had.

"I can't tell you how much I love this preseason, day in and day out," English said. "For the first time in a long time, I don't worry about my foot. I don't even think about it. I just go out there and go play. I know what I can do and what I'm capable of. I know what I can do. That's all that matters right now."

Injury reports used to be the top priority. Foot surgeries sapped English's playing power over the last few years, but that has become a thing of the recent past. Hamstring trouble hampered him early in training camp, but now his presence has become positively mundane.

Yes, English showed up to practice. Who cares?

The Chargers do. They want him to be part of a solid rotation at outside linebacker, one of five who can get after the quarterback.

In recent weeks, English certainly has. He has two sacks and seven tackles during the preseason.

"That's a credit to getting healthy," English said. "I feel like I have my explosiveness back. Speed was my thing, and I'm able to get to the quarterback pretty fast. But I still see things when I look at the tape that I can sharpen up. I'm confident, but I know I can get better."

Mental confidence is one thing. Confidence in your body is something different. That was a learned trait for English. He can rely on his foot and spring off it. Speed was English's finest attribute, what got him to the quarterback the fastest.

"Repetition is the key to overall confidence," English said. "If you can do things physically, then you can have fun just playing football. That's something I've missed and something I truly enjoy. I'm excited about what this year and this season has in store."

English has the explosiveness deserving of praise, quickness that is an asset in the Chargers' constant quest for the quarterback. With speed, he doesn't need moves.

"He's had that, and the last time he played a regular season game he had two sacks," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "It's just been a long time since he's been truly healthy. I think we can take some pressure off him and use him in a rotation that will keep him from playing an unusual number of snaps."

The expectations are low, but they won't go away. English needs to get to the quarterback on a regular basis. The weight is clearly off his shoulders, leaving him poised for the first legitimate season of his career.

After three seasons, English is finally ready to show what he can do.

"I'm definitely having fun, and I'm excited for what this season has in store," English said. "I want to produce. I can produce big numbers. I'm excited that I'm healthy enough to be given a chance."

The last regular-season game English played in came against the Miami Dolphins in September 2011, when he had two sacks. That was almost a year ago, but English doesn't want to use it as a benchmark. He believes he's way better now.

"I was able to make some plays that game, but I was still coming off an injury," English said. "I feel like I'm in a much better place even than I was then. I'm ready to use the clean slate I've been given, and become the player everyone expects me to be."

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He'll just get hurt again. I for one am not putting a lot of expectations on him

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I think he would have healed faster if Gallagher performed the foot operation with his Sledge O Matic. Dr. Cut Sue's slice and dice job didn't turn out to well.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Finally the Chargers aren't depending on getting anything out of him. If he's injured and out for the year again then the team has sufficient depth and talent at OLB that they can live without him. If English is healthy and contributes, it's gravy

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And I'm fairly certain he feels the weight of those limited expectations. :laugh:

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    It usually takes at least a couple years for the body to fully purge the Chao out of it's system. ;)

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Buster never could. :whistling:

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Providing you don't have a compromised immune system..... Buster was a mess in college too.

9. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I think what's good for him now is that they don't expect as much. Nobody expects him to be "heir apparent to Merriman" anymore, they just want him to be a solid rotation guy, which I feel he can be. people are always gonna think he was a reach in the first round when better players were there, but that isn't his fault, and just because he may never live up to what you'd expect of a mid first round pick doesn't mean he can't still be a good player.

Of course he's had some bad luck with injury, and we've never really got to see what he is actually capable of as a result, but I hope for him that he gets his chance this year to be a solid contributor, and if so I think he can be a useful part of our OLB rotation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    It would be nice if he developed a few more moves than just the speed rush though. Surely, he can pickup a few things from Ingram.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Weren't you the guy who, when I said that recently, informed me that he also has a good bull rush? :cautious:

12. Moses

Ratings:
    +358
    Oh no doubt, he could stand to learn a few things, but to be honest I think speed is his advantage, he isn't nearly as dynamic as someone like Ingram and won't ever be the player that Ingram could be.

Without being a particularly specacular player, he's someone who can give a solid effort and provide extra depth at a position where we have suffered in recent years. It's just nice that we have 4 OLB guys who can all bring something to the table when healthy.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yes, on one particular play. Admittedly, it's a small sample size.

I just would like him to develop more moves. After all, the guy's had plenty of time to study. ;)

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I agree that he needs to develop more moves. Speed is a terrific attribute to have, but at some point it can be neutralized.

Merciless Melvin will school him up. :abq2:

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    True, but it's nice to have versatility at the position.

Ingram is the only guy with top speed, spin, and bull rush moves. Phillips is mainly a speed guy, so are Barnes and English. What made Merriman so great in the beginning was that he could overpower as well as out quick his blockers. A pass rusher needs multiple moves to be elite. Ingram can be that kinda guy.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Butbutbut ... his arms are short!!!! :rolleyes:

2012 DROY

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Moses

Ratings:
    +358
    Ingram does certainly look to be the real deal, he should be a great acquisition for us, and will be a solid contrbutor straight away.

The way I'm looking at it, even if English is our worst OLB, the 5th best, that sure says something for our depth compared to previous years, and that shows a tremendous improvement in pass rush. That will undoubtedly help our secondary too, because in my view they were the worst affected by our lack of pass rush last year, sometimes opposing QBs had an eternity to pick out a pass, and no CB has a chance in that situation, so I look for a bounce back year from them too.

Looking back at young Merriman, he may be the best defensive player we've had in my time as a Bolts fan, that guy was unblockable, too strong and too quick for just about anyone to matchup against, and got the sacks to show it too, it's just really a shame how injuries derailed what would've been a great career.

18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I was afraid this title was going to continue to say "looking forward to some much needed R.&R after getting placed on I.R. the 3rd game of the season" :whistling:

19. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    The thing i dont get about this...is that his "injury" problems all comes from one single injury that had lingered. So he really has had one long injury, rather than consistent injury problems. He hasn't had any problems except for that foot.

Once that foot is fully healed, like it seems like it has, there should be no problems. Feet take a long time to heal, cuz its hard not to bother them, but once it has healed, there should be no lingering effects, and since thats the only injury he's had as a pro IIRC, i'm not worrying too much about him getting injured again, just let him preform.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sorta like Gates, right? ;) I fully realize that he doesn't have the pre-injury stats of a Gates, but if we're willing to accept that Gates might be past this injury, can't we at least give English a chance to prove the 1st round pick wasn't a colossal waste?

Seems to me some folks are just far too willing to give up on a guy - even root against him - in order to fulfill some agenda.

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Without looking back I thought English played his complete rookie season. I believe English will be better than what most people think. I highly doubt TIng can teach English much of anything game wise, maybe some good southern food recipes but that's about it.

22. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    Who the hell is TIng???? I'm really confused right now...lol

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Melvin Ingram, they say he has T-Rex arms so I call him TIng.

24. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I hear you on that I'm willing to give a guy 3 years , Hell I rooted for Buster till 4 but if Larry doesn't produce this year he's toast in my book. Damn I was the biggest Jammer hater for his first 2 years but I got to love the guy after that.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The Jammer haters are back after last season...... aren't you getting on the bandwagon? ;)

26. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Not at all, he gave us good service and I'm not willing to throw him under the bus. Players age and may not look in their prime but as long as they can do their job... How long you think Ray Lewis is going to last? as long a a player has fire in him he can also help the newer players even if he can no longer play every down.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    So, the same for Cesaire then....... oops! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    My computer keeps crashing...seemingly can't process the phrase "Healthy English"

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll bet it caught hell during the Bush years. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    English needs a solid year if for nothing else himself. Of course, the better he does the better off the Bolt's will be as beneficiaries of his good fortune. I hope he doesn't have any more setbacks it isn't like the he wanted to go through a couple bum surgeries by Dr. Cut Sue.