1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Help a Daddy_O Out

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daddy_O, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Long time coming, I just bought my first home. TY very much.

Now....I have a few ducky's left to pick up a sweet LCD to hang over the fireplace.

Please let me know what brand and options you think would work the best. The target is a 42" to fit nicely in the area above the fireplace.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Congrats on the home. I think what would work best is to send me the money and I'll buy a LCD to hang over my fireplace. That way I could tell how it worked out. I'm just trying to help! :lol:

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Congrats on the new home!

Regarding the TV: Are you sure a 42" is the size you want? Most folks I know always wish they went bigger on the TV, not smaller. Also remember look at the plastic surrounding the TV. On some, the speakers are on the edges so that adds to the overall size. On others, the edges are very thin so the set looks smaller.

That said, make sure the set is 1080p, not 720p. Also, think about how what will provide your new set with an HD signal. Cable is an option, but you will need an HD box if you want more than your basic networks (ABC,CBS,FOX, PBS). I have satellite (DirecTV), but a box is necessary there, but you get more HD channels.

Some of the better brands are Samsung, Sony, Sharp and Vizio. A friend of mine bought a 1080p 42" Vizio at Costco and the picture is amazing. Cost was around $1099.

Don't pay a fortune on the cables to connect everything to it either. Head over to cablewholsale.com or monoprice.com. The cables there are just as good as anything Monster Cable puts out and cost a lot less.

4. Game123

Game123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97

LCDs are nice but have a nasty habit of ghosting during action sequences. I bought a plasma and love the hell out of it. Until the LCD televisions refresh as quickly as the LCD computer monitors, I'd stay away from them. Also, some manufacturer warranties only kick in once you lose 5% or more of your LCD screen.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html

5. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Thanks for all the input. I'mm gonna mull it over, do a little research and I'll get back on the final results.

6. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    We bought a Vizio LCD and a Plasma at Costco. Love both of them and couldn't beat their price. :tup: