1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

HELP! Need to XFR settings/files to new computer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rexy2006, Dec 23, 2007.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    HELP a new computer rookie, please.

Calling all computer geeks out there:

I just got a new DELL Inspiron with Windows VISTA Premium as a gift.
    I currently have a Compaq running Windows XP.

I am trying to figure out the quickest way to migrate my files and settings to the new computer. I havent done this before.

Is the best way to get a crossover cable to network the two?
    I've read to make sure to run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard on the NEW machine first.

I am especially trying to get this done fairly quickly, as I need to work on the Bugle. My old comp is excruciatingly slow. I want to work on the new one with renewed speed.:tup:

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Good luck, Darlin!! :)

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    That would be the easiest way. Use either a flash drive or external hard drive.

Go to your Windows XP machine and backup the items in your profile directory which is located in c:\documents and settings\username.

Then just copy over the My Documents, favorites, and desktop folders.

If you are using Outlook for email, you are going to want to export all your email folders, calendar , and contacts to a .pst file. Then import them back into Outlook on your new machine.

That's the way I would recommend moving your files over. I don't really like migration tools or wizards, because they can screw up.

Hope that helps.

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Having done this many times for my home-office clients, Ray's advice is solid on this.

Keep in mind that you can only copy files created on your old compuer, NOT programs like MS Word, Excel, Photoshop, etc. For programs you'll need the original CD's.

There is a bit of a learning curve with Vista. Lots of things are done differentyly in Vista than in XP. Training your mind to translate how you do things will take some time.

PM me if you need more help.

Congrats on the new Dell. :icon_toast:

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Ray is spot on about copying your Documents and Settings folder. If you can network your two computers you can transfer all the data very easily. Otherwise a flashdrive is another excellent means to transfer data.

Another option, which would probably require the intervation of a techie, is to just take the hard drive out of your old computer and add it to you new one. This will give you direct an immediate access to anything contained on your old computer. Plus it'll give you that much more hard disk space.

I've never transfered data straight from PC to PC without being connected to a network hub. So somebody else will have to chime in with some instructions if that's a possibility. But regardless, if you're able to put both these comptuers on the same network here is the easiest way to get at your old files.

Get on your old computer and open up My Computer. Right-click on the "C:" under Hard Disk Drives and select "Properties". Click on the "Sharing" tab. Click the "I understand..." Under "Network sharing and security" click the "I understand..." Click "Just enable..." Click "Share this Folder" then click okay.

Now go to your new computer and click My Network Places. Click "View Workgroup Computers" and you should see a link to your old PC. Double click on it and you should see the "C:" that you shared. Double click on it and basically you're looking at all the files on your old computer. At this point any particular documents, programs, or settings, you can just copy and paste into the appropriate location on your new computer.

I've never worked with Vista so I don't know how an XP Documents and Settings folders is going to translate to Vista. But again, hopefully somebody with more knowledge about this particular subject can chime in. Good luck and feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    BTW just in case you're not sure rexy a flash drive is basically a memory stick that plugs straight into a USB port. They're small and don't have an cords or anything, just plugs right in. You can copy data to it and plug it into any other computer and access the data. Excellent for transfering files. You can pick one up for $20-$30 from Office Depot.

If you wanted to network your two computers you can buy a "Network Hub" also for $20-$30 from Office Depot. Then you'll just need two network cables, one for each computer. Network cables look like a phone plug, but about twice as wide. Identicle to the cord coming from your DSL/Cable modem into your PC (usually blue or yellow). If you have one coming from a DSL or Cable modem, you'll only need one more cord to network the two PCs via a hub.

Also... do you, by any chance, have wireless internet? 'Cause that will make everything a little easier and you wouldn't need any new equipment.

7. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Geez, guys, thanks for all the good advice.

I dont have wireless internet, IAD.

Soooo, is it easier to network the two comps and transfer it that way? Or since they are two different operating systems should I transfer files to a flash drive and then upload them onto my new computer?

Needless to say, I have alot of photos. Can a flash drive hold alot of photo files?

• Like Like x 1
  8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Different opperating systems shouldn't complicate the networking process. But networking is certianly a more complicated process than just pluggin in a flash drive. If photos are your top concern a flash drive is perfect. A 2 gig flash drive can hold somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,000+ digital images. And even if you have more than that, you can copy the first couple thousand to the flash drive then the new computer. Then you can just clear everything off the flash drive and copy the next batch over. I don't think it was previously stated, but you can write and erase and rewrite a flashdrive over and over again as many times as you want.

Programs and whatnot are a bit more complicated and, like CBF said, are much much easier to put on your new computer off the original discs rather than copying them from you old computer. But pictures and documents you can just copy and paste or drag and drop without any problems. If those are the only kinds of files you are really concerned about keeping, pick up a flash drive and you should be all set. There's no software to load or anything, just plug it in and it will appear like an additional drive under "My Computer." Let us know if you run into any difficulties. :icon_toast:

9. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I've got the new comp up and running. I havent gone to get a flash drive but probably will tomorrow.
    I need to XFR all my photos and favorites mostly.

This is a beau-tiful 22" monitor. A digital driver was added which Im not used to. Freaking amaaaaazing. Clarity blows my doors off.

I'm having fun playing with my new toy.:tup:

10. eastcoastboltgal

eastcoastboltgal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +695
    Can you come over to my house? :D

11. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Hey Leslie aka my Partner-In-Crime!

What's YOUR problem?:icon_shrug:

Technologically-speaking of course.:yes:

12. eastcoastboltgal

Ratings:
    +695
    I have lots of problems! :icon_eek:

But my wireless is acting up and my computer is being slow and just a big pain in the butt! :icon_evil:

I also wouldn't mind seeing Ray! :icon_tease:

13. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Methinks you have gremlins, yes I do.:frightened:

14. eastcoastboltgal

Ratings:
    +695
    Actually I do need help. The boys got Sandisk MP3's .. I need to learn how to download music :D

15. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Hopefully the resident Super Computermen will come to your rescue like they did for me.:tup:

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I've put pics from my laptop into files/folders and sent those to myself. When they showed up on my new PC, I jes saved'emta My Pictures.

There may be an easier way, but that's what I've done in the past.

17. eastcoastboltgal

Ratings:
    +695
    Yea well what about my MP3 issue? :icon_evil:

18. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_eek: No help from me Darlin, I'm not completely sure what an MP3 is :icon_shrug: :no: :tdown:

19. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Can you clarify the MP3 issue? Are there files on the Sandisk that you're trying to download to the computer? Or are you trying to download MP3s off the internet to put on the Sandisk?