1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Help With NFL Sunday Ticket

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by boltsnow, Nov 6, 2007.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Does anyone knoe "for sure" if you need to have a basic service in order to get the NFL Sunday ticket? I have had Direct TV for about 7-8 years now but am moving and will no longer will need the basic service (getting a better package deal on cable, internet & home phone) from cable provider. I have heard many say that you don't need it because it is in the NFL contract that subscribers to Sunday ticket do not need to sign up for any other Direct TV service. I would call DiecrTV myself but we all know what they would say.

Any articles or direct links to the trueth would be greatly appreciated. Tried to find something on the NFL site but couldn't locate anything.

Thanks in advance!

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Help With NFL Sundat Ticket

Don't have any articles to support this, but it was about 2 years ago that DirecTV started requiring you to have their basic package before you could get Sunday Ticket.

If you really want to be sure, head over to the DirecTV forums at DBStalk.com:

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=82

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748

I ****ing hate direct tv and the nfl for their stupid exclusive deal.

DTV knows all they have left going for them over digital cable is NFLST. That's it. If ST ever becomes available on cable DTV will fold.

• Like Like x 1
  4. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56

Thanks for the info. They fricken have message boards for everything for crying out loud.

5. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56

Word!

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583

Don't completely dump on D*. THe NFL took bids from every provider, including the cable operators. D* happen to win. If you want to blame somebody, blame the NFL.

As for your 2nd statement, D*'s HD is far superior than anything digital cable can offer. TW, Comcrap & Cox can't even come close. Only thing cable has over D* and E* (Dish) is their internet offerings. I've got roadrunner and my tested download speeds are in the high 9 to low 10mbs range.

7. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

I agree. DTV has superior HD.

BTW at home in San Diego the HD local stations on TimeWarner have an audio delay. Does anyone else have this problem?

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You must also have a land telephone line. :icon_sad:

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583

Besides having D*, I also have the TW phone-internet-cable bunlde. Saving about $50-60 per month that way. Haven't noticed the audio delay here in Carlsbad. But then again, the TW here isn't exactly the same as it is in San Diego.

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Yep, although I think that restriction will be lifted once the HR20/21 receivers have internet access fully implemented. The on demand (which downloads over the net) stuff works well now, so the land line requirement might be a thing of the past very soon.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I wonder if this could affect the price/performance of sat internet? I've still got dialup, only option other than sat, & the price/performance of sat internet hasn't been worth it to me.

Any thoughts?

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Hmm...well, I don't think they're going to get rid of the phone line as an option. If not having as phone line is a problem, there is a way around that too. My in-laws have Dish network and they too had to connect their receiver to a phone line. Since there was no phone jack near their TV, I set up one of those outlet adapters. One end plugs into an outlet (direct to the wall, not a power strip), and the receiver's phone line plugs into it. The other end plugs into an outlet, which connects to a phone jack. Works well for them.