1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Henderson drops 50 lbs to get in playing shape

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Mario Henderson has lost more than 50 pounds in three months
    Posted by Michael David Smith on July 5, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
    Chargers offensive lineman Mario Henderson is listed at 6-foot-7 and 300 pounds, which demonstrates just how far from reality listed weights can be. But while Henderson may never get down to 300 pounds again, through hard work this offseason he’s as light now as he’s been in a very long time.

Henderson’s weight problems really got out of control last year during the lockout, and when he showed up to Raiders camp he weighed in at 383. The Raiders cut him, he spent the 2011 season out of the NFL, and when the Chargers signed him he was almost 390.

But three months later Henderson is down to 333, a stunning drop of more than 50 pounds in three months, which he says is a result of not wanting to fail the Chargers when they gave him his second chance at the NFL.

“People say, ‘Well, you know, he got out of shape.’ OK. I understand that. I’m a man. I’m going to take full responsibility for that,” Henderson told U-T San Diego. “And at the same time, I take responsibility for losing all that weight and getting that opportunity to get looked at, to come back. Like I said, I can’t blame nobody but myself. Now, I’m working hard.”

Now that he’s getting back down toward his ideal weight, Henderson believes he can be the kind of player he was in Oakland, when he started all 16 games in 2009.

“I’m not saying I’m a great player, but I’m average, and I can play in this league,” Henderson said. “I have no one to blame but myself. I can’t blame the coaches. I can’t blame friends, family. That was all my fault.”

If Henderson is taking the blame for getting himself out of shape, he deserves credit for getting himself back into shape.

2. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Shades of Fonoti hope he has it under control!:eek: I loved Fonoti in the beginning but dude got out of control

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Do we have anyone to back up Gaither on the off chance he gets injured?

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Did you not read the article? :confused:

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    He sure as hell fire is a big'un, mightcould just help them boys out.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Do you believe he's honestly good enough to be a backup LT? I didn't even prior to him turning himself into jabba the hutt

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Who else do we have......... Dombrowski? :cautious:

Other than Schilling, all the other tackles are UDFA rookies.

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Is losing 50+ lbs in 3 months healthy? I know he's taking it down to a 330 lbs body, but that still sounds dangerous from a health standpoint.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I dropped 40 in just under 3 months, and did it by taking protein shakes as meal replacements 3 times a day, and eating a low carb sensible dinner, and this included little to no working out. Had I worked out, it would have been much more. So yes, I think it can be health. The real question is, is it sustainable, which I ask myself all the time when I get hungry for Jack in the Box tacos

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    It's sustainable if you're playing football. If you exercise at all, it's much easier to lose weight. The offseason is when players balloon up.

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    At that weight its not unhealthy esp if you have a lot of fat to lose to be at an optimum healthy weight. Unless you yo-yo and don't stick with a healthy diet/exercise. Which is why "normal" people struggle with excellerated weight loss and typically do better at keeping it off when done more slowly.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2