1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Here it folks - Chargers have reached their level of mediocrity

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Oct 21, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Don't want to beat the dead horse but.............

this pretty much sums it up

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/20/n43569-chargers-canepa19/?chargers

SAN DIEGO – The think tank of floating public opinion comes up with varying revelations as to why the Chargers peaked and since have fallen to a level where calling them a dead-flat average NFL team would be a hosanna. They are 2-3. Since their defeat in the 2007 AFC Championship Game at New England, they are 11-12. There is undeniable mediocrity to their mediocrity.

Need more? In regular-season games over the last year and a half, 18 teams have won more games than the Chargers. They have the same record over that span as the 49ers. If there were standings, they'd be a half-game behind the Texans. They've won just three more than the Raiders!
    :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

What, in the name of plain English, does this mean? They aren't very good, that's what.

The prevailing hot wind of blame blows – overwhelmingly – in the direction of head coach Norv Turner and, to a lesser degree, in the face of General Manager A.J. Smith, the sculptor whose fine original work has weathered into an indefinable hunk of clay.

The Chargers are average because they are average, from ownership, to the GM, to the head coach, to his assistants, to the scouts and, most of all, the players. An above-average dose of injuries can crawl into the blame game, but good teams overcome maladies.

Having watched them through five games, I wonder if the Chargers would be good if injury-free. Doubtful.

The perfect test came Monday night vs. Denver. The Broncos were unbeaten, but without a thick resume. Historically, this was the kind of game the Chargers win. They were rested, healthier, coming off a bye following yet another national debacle in Pittsburgh. So Denver ripped off the powder-blue throwbacks and exposed every wart – and there is a considerable number to expose.

Smith took some heat after Pittsburgh, when he said he was embarrassed and at times his team seemed soft and bewildered, which was correct then and remains correct this morning. People think Smith's the problem. His most recent drafts have not been very productive and he hasn't done enough to address the offensive and defensive lines, now his biggest areas of concern.

But don't say he hasn't taken the blame. He refuses to comment now – “I have nothing to say at the moment,” he insists – but I sat across the desk from him in February, when he said, “I have to pick up my game,” adding he was happy with most everyone in the organization except himself.

Fans have short memories. Must he repeat himself after every loss? I have yet to hear an excuse out of him. His coach is coaching, his players are playing. Smith has every right to voice his opinion. Without naming names, he has expressed his disapproval. His style isn't going into the locker room and venting. I wish it were.

Smith built this team and it's his to tinker with. He hasn't always been right, but it doesn't mean he can't regain his previous form. Those of you calling for his head can wait. He's signed through 2014. He makes a lot of money and isn't going anywhere. Nor should he be going anywhere.

Turner, of course, has been sitting on a Bunsen burner since he replaced the once-reviled, now-revered Marty Schottenheimer. Norv hadn't been a winner as a head coach, and with the exception of his stellar record here in December and January, he hasn't done enough to sway the voters.

It's not my job to fire coaches any more than it's Norv's to call for my dismissal, or do a Seinfeld and walk into your place of work and heckle you as you heckle him. But I do believe this is the defining season for Turner, whose contract runs through 2010.

His seat is warming. If he doesn't make the playoffs – and it's not looking good – the organization must at least peer into another direction at season's end.

Turner hasn't won enough, but what's alarming is that his team has deteriorated with him on the bridge. Only a few of the players he inherited are better now than they were when he arrived, and this is not an old roster. The offensive line has gone from butter to margarine. His defense, even though he doesn't coordinate it, has slipped terribly.

Thing is, Norv has a way of righting the canoe, as we saw in 2007 and 2008, and that's not the mark of a bad coach. It's the mark of an undefined coach, who seemingly has problems establishing a solid community and maddeningly works better in desperation.

If I have a problem with Turner, it's that he rarely points a finger at himself, although he rarely points at anyone in particular. He's a good guy, a bright coach who knows the game, but he's coaching a bunch that makes far too many critical mistakes to win consistently.

But – big but – is there enough time for him to correct the wrongs?

“I know the areas that are at issue for us,” he says. “We have to do a better job at handling situations we're just not handling well.”

Don't we all.

2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Yet in the past 3 years, we've manage to reach the playoffs with a crippled lineup and win 3 games.

I don't care anymore about us dominating the regular season. Win enough games to get in the tournament and hope that we are playing our best ball then.

Damn I'm sick of all the negativity in when we are only 6 weeks in and one game below .500. It's not like we're the Browns or the 0-6 Titans. We've been in this situation before and have the talent and experience to make a run at a playoff spot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Through these words shines a lot of reality.
    There's 14-2 left by Marty. Then 11-5, 8-8 by Norv
    We have elite players on the paper but not on the field.

4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Agreed!

People listen. I will tell you that this donks team is better than I thought. And they are legit.

However, this lead they have is not insurmountable by any means. They have some tough upcoming games.

Ravens, Steelers, Eagles, Giants, Chargers

KC, Oakland the next 2 and we end our last 4 of the last 6 weeks of the season with KC, Cleveland, Tennessee, Washington....There is plenty of time and opportunity to make a come back and if not, to get a wild card.

If this team makes the playoffs watch out!

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    hey, these are the facts.

and imo - dominating in the regular season IS important. How many wild cards have won a SB? or even made the SB?

How many home field teams have gone to the SB?

Frankly I'm damn sick and tired of everyone trying to spin the same old story about "JUST MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!!" line.

We need home field. And over the past three years we haven't come close to playing at a level that will earn it.

that said -

GO BOLTS!!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    11-12 since the Pats game, 21-16 under Norv in regular season, 35-18 with Rivers as a starter. Oh and did you know that we are 0-2 since week 4? And between 2000-2006, we were 53-59? I can spin this **** soooo many different ways.

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    I can think of two recent wild card teams who were in similar situations as the Chargers who went on an WON the SuperBowl.

2007 Giants and 2005 Steelers.

One who made it to the dance and barley missed the win - 2008 Cardinals.

Colts had a terrible run defense, struggled all season long on the defensive side of the ball, were known as "soft" and rode the coattails of Manning - won the SuperBowl in 2006. They also had a soft spoken, finesse coach who wasn't deemed fit for Tampa Bay.

How did the Titans fare with the best record in the NFL and home field advantage last year? 1 and done.

How about the Chargers in 2006? 1 and done.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

You big old mean pot stirrer. :icon_tease: :icon_rofl: :icon_toast:

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Got me there, but........... I never said we HAD to have the best record. Just that home field seems to generally give a team an advantage.

And you point out two teams out of 48 in 4 years of playoffs. Hardly a ringing endorsement.

:flag:

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    My one hope is that we don't wait months into the offseason to fire and replace Norv.

11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Where's the Lombardi?

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    It is being made somewhere back east currently.

13. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Raiders beat the Chargers in 1980, to become the first wild card team to go to the Super Bowl. They then beat the Eagles to win it all. So there is another example to add to the list. It can and has been done. We are all frustrated, but as a man once said "Keep hope alive". That is all we can do now. Don't give up, it's still early.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    Not saying it's easy, by no means and if this team doesn't continue to improve it won't happen - just that's it's very possible and recent history with the recent pool of talent, playoff formats, league pairity indicate it's definitely not impossible to achieve.