1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hester and Cason......

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Aug 5, 2008.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I just wanted to give my insight for everyone about our draft class.

In the years I have been covering the draft I have never been more excited about this years crop we got. Just for the fact being that we are built to win now and these guys will play huge for us. Jacob Hester and Antoine Cason will play an intrical part in our run to the Super Bowl. I say that because Cason is a Thorpe winner a proven guy that mark my words will turn out to be another Cromartie. The two corners in this years draft that I thought had the "it" factor were Cason and Flowers because their ability to not only cover but are very willing against the run. It will show again by us having the best secondary in football. Weddle, Hart, Cromartie, Jammer, and Cason.

I love Jacob Hester, I know that alot of you feel we paid to much for him but I dont think so. Hester is a guy that Norv had a hard on for from day 1, because he fits the scheme he wants to run to a T. The singleback set with 2 TE's. Although not the most fleet of foot, we werent looking for a spell back for LT with this pick, we were looking for a guy who was an above average blocker and had versatlity, something that LoNeal wasnt. Now understand that I loved LoNeal with the best of them however Neal wasnt someone we could rely on when teams stacked the box to swing a pass and pick up 5 or 6 yards. Hester is going to be a great back for short yardage situations and also on 3rd and 5 or 6 will be able to catch passes out of the backfield and get the yardage needed. Hester reminds me alot of Ronnie Harmon from years ago who was an unbelievable 3rd down back.

Marcus Thomas had a breakout campaign his senior year at UTEP. This past draft was loaded with undersized back's and we managed to get another Michael Turner. He is a classic slasher with great size at 6'2" 215 lbs. He has very deceptive speed and in the open was as good as any in this draft. I do think he will see some time although very limited is going to play huge for us down the road.

Hope this helps shed some light for everyone!

2. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Cason won't be a Cromartie, because Cromartie is just a physical freak, but Cason will be very good. I wanted the Chargers to draft him and I had no idea why people thought we would go after Flowers. Cason was the best CB in the draft imo.

3. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    My point wasnt that he will be a Cromartie due to physical features. He will be another Cromartie, that people passed on and will turn out be a diamond in the rough. The kid plays with passion and heart and is a ballhawk, which will be evident in the years to come. His football IQ was second to none in this draft.

Flowers on the other hand I loved as well, because not only was he a great cover corner, but also was very willing against the run, and laid the wood.

4. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    haha ok :icon_rofl:Ok Buddy sure you did

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Just looking at your sig, jammer is not 5'10

6. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12710

7. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155

I didn't make the top one, you can blame Conc for that one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We have to figure a way to keep Cromartie. He will bee the best ever when all is said and done.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Seeing as how lesser CBs like Nate Clements and DeAngelo Hall got new contracts each worth 8 years, $80 million, Cromartie's probably going to command 8 years, $100 million. :icon_eek:

10. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I like your way of thinking, especially with Cason and Hester.
    I think Cason is one of those instinctive, nose for the ball, smart DBs who just has that something extra that doesn't always show up at the combines. Hester is a WINNER, pure and simple. He has heart, desire and underated speed. He looks quick enough to me with a nice burst. I've watched him a lot and he seems to do everything well. Perhaps the most impressive is his sheer reluctance to put the ball on the ground. I think he fumbled ONCE while at LSU :tup:

By the way, I just love your avatar LT EXPRESS. Diaper Nation, ain't that the truth :icon_rofl:

11. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Ya Cason football IQ is off the charts.

As for the avatar...lol, I have gotten so many props for that and I do appreciate it. I found it online one day and lost it.

Glad you liked the commentary. I have next years draft on my site nflfansunite.com.....Not promoting admin.... Just thought you might like it.

12. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I'll check it out :bolt:

13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I hope you're right, Ronnie Harmon was one of the most exciting players I've ever had the privilege of watching in person.

14. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Actually Thomas measured 6'0 1/4" , isnt as fast as Turner and didnt have near the college success over his 4 years that Turner had.

Still, AJ has been doing well in picking the right guys so it will be interesting to see how he does.

As for Cason...he is a player to be excited about. He isnt a Cromartie type freak of a player but he was a bright spot on a not so good Arizona team. Im real excited about him and i really want to see what Oliver can do as well.

Hester just gets the job done. Anxious to see him play as well at this level.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hester is a PR/Weddle type of guy. May not look like much at first, not physically imposing, but they have heart & know how to play. I think he's gonna be an Alstott kinda guy for us - tough, physical, hard to bring down, & committed to giving his all.

I wanted Flowers, too, but have to admit that Cason is a good choice. He's a ball hawk - I see him as having 5-6 interceptions this year easily. We'll put up even bigger INT totals with this group than last year's.

This year, Brady is OUR *****. :abq2:

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We should have the cap room. He would be a priority with me. He only is just breaking in as a starter and it appears he can man up with just about anyone in the league. A guy who rarely needs the help of double teams is invaluable. Jammer has years left, Weddle is young and Hart is low mileage. A unit that talented that is kept together can be worth the cost of keeping someone like Cro. I can see the possibility of never having to go into a dime package except in rare circumstances with this group. Teams will not be able to run effectively as a surprise in passing situations and the QB's will never be free of pressure. That sort of thing wears on their nerves and their bodies by the time the middle of the third quarter rolls around. Even guys like Manning and Brady can be made to feel antsy. We could have the best back four to go with what might be the best LB's for some time to come.

17. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    OMFG I forgot we have to be exact with you. Dude really is that necessary?

I went into his UTEP file and got it off their site, didnt go scout around to try and find his exact height.

And as for his college success once again just like the other disagreement we had about Oliver, READ THE POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It says "Had his breakout campaign as a SENIOR"! READ READ READ

I will try and get every measurement exactly right just for you okay....?

18. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    :icon_shrug: I dont think it is a bigdeal. Just posting what he measured at the combine.

I dont understand why you get so worked up. All im saying is he had one decent college season so he will be interesting since AJ has a knack for finding players.

What isnt neccesssary is freaking out. Calm down dude.

19. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Well when you start out the sentence by saying actually, it really makes it sound like you are trying to prove someone wrong, or make them look like they dont know sh!t. I really dont care I just know you and I had this same disagreement about Oliver being slow. I am good with it, I just think its a bit comical, and not necessary to do.

Have a good evening!