1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hester ready to make mark

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Chargers running back Jacob Hester’s rookie season has been defined by little things. But last Sunday against the Colts, he finally got a chance to contribute in a major way, and Hester made the most of his opportunity.

When starting fullback Mike Tolbert went down with a shoulder injury, Hester was called into action. He delivered with three receptions, including a fourth-quarter touchdown grab that got the Chargers within three points of Indianapolis.

“You’ve just got to be patient,” Hester said. “It wasn’t my time yet. I was still getting a chance to play on special teams and do some things to help the team. It was fun to get out there and play some offense. I hadn’t done it since the preseason. I was definitely ready and had a good time.”

Although he’s been a key contributor on special teams, Hester hadn’t touched the ball on offense since the Bolts’ Week 3 win over the New York Jets. While he admits he wouldn’t mind seeing more action on offense, Hester has patiently waited his turn.

“You always want to be a competitive player and be in there and help the team win,” Hester said. “But that hasn’t been my role during the first 12 games. That wasn’t what I was supposed to do. I just tried to make the most of my opportunity.”

Hester also pointed out that he can’t complain about playing time. He’s a big part of the Bolts’ kickoff coverage and return units as well as the punt coverage and return teams. That means he’s on the field for roughly 25 plays per game, and he’s excelled in the kicking game. Hester has 10 special teams tackles this season, which ties him with Kassim Osgood for the second most on the team.

“(Special teams) is something I’ve always enjoyed doing,” Hester said. “I did it all four years in college. Even when I was the starting running back two years, I still did it. It’s something I love.”

Hester, the club’s third-round pick in April’s draft, was expected to share time with Darren Sproles as the primary backup to LaDainian Tomlinson this season. Head Coach Norv Turner said Monday that Sproles’ stellar play, specifically a 5.1-yards-per-carry average, have limited Hester’s chances, and the LSU grad is fine with that.

“You’ve got to respect the coaches’ decisions,” Hester said. “They saw something that didn’t have me in the game plans. You can’t argue with that, but hopefully I’ll get a chance to prove myself.”

Hester has spent the season working at both running back and fullback, and the Chargers see him as a hybrid between the two positions. Turner was more than pleased with what his young back accomplished against the Colts.

“You can’t ask for more than what he did,” Turner said. “He went in, he blocked, he made a couple catches. He finished a run inside (the 10 yard line). He did a nice job.”

With Tolbert ailing, Turner said Monday that Hester will likely start in Week 13 against the Falcons. It’s an opportunity Hester will relish.

“I’m excited about getting to be out there and getting to do a few more things,” Hester said. “I’ll have a chance to do a few more things to help my team try to pick up a win that we really need. Hopefully I can make the most of it.”
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Aug 15, 2006
    It's a ****ing travesty this had to happen for Hester to get on the field:

N:icon_huh:rv is a ****ing idiot.
  3. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Sep 8, 2006

Couldn't agree more. My adopted boy has just been waiting to contribute.

Too bad it had to take an injury for someone to see he has talent that needs to be utilized.:icon_evil:

GO CHARGERS!:abq1:
  4. Kwak

Kwak ....

May 25, 2006
    Time for your boy to step up. If he can just block better than Tolbert it will be a bonus. I have seen that he can catch and run from his college days.
  5. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Jul 23, 2007
    Its a good thing Hester has a good attitiude! It is paying off in a start and a chance to be a catalyst in our much needed season turn around.
  6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    It has ever been thus. Opportunities come when they do, largely by circumstance. It was only a matter of time before Hester caught up to the pace of the game. Earlier on, some people were thinking he was over rated. Not so, just under experienced at what the team wanted from him.

Norval is now in trouble, but it has nothing to do with Hester. The FO will continue to play it cool, but it would appear that he has begun to lose the players. The cracks in the façade are getting too obvious. Once that happens, whole thing begins to crumble.