1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hester Stuns Against Cowboys

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    By Jaime Cattano
    Reporter, SDBoltReport.com
    Posted Aug 10, 2008

Jacob Hester debuted shining talent and the potential to play several positions on the field Saturday and helped the Bolts close out the preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys with a 31-17 win. Philip Rivers proved to be back from injury in a stronger and fitter form allowing the Bolts to look like true Super Bowl contenders.

The Chargers hosted the Dallas Cowboys at Qualcomm Stadium marking a preseason win that wowed even the ‘Tony Romo’-jersey-wearing-fans. Grabbing the blue ribbon with a 31-17 victory, the Bolts looked clean and confident from the first team down.

LaDainian Tomlinson did not suit up and, though he suffered a slight groin strain, he was not scheduled to play prior to the strain as he rarely plays in the preseason. Darren Sproles and Jacob Hester mended any gap that may have been open due to L.T.’s absence. Sproles scored on a 5-yard run marking one of the Bolts four rushing touchdowns.

Rookie Jacob Hester, the Bolts third round draft pick from LSU, proved to be the biggest star on the field and displayed a dynamite force giving the team a closer look at his versatile talents. He carried the ball 13 times for 49 yards and scored two running touchdowns.

The Bolts appear to have big plans for the budding star as he appeared as a fullback, H-back and backup running back. Hester received two attempts to run the ball at the goal line and converted both for touchdowns.

Mike Tolbert, an undrafted rookie free agent, scored on a 1-yard run and Nate Kaeding nailed a 53-yard field goal.

QB Philip Rivers displayed full recovery on the field after undergoing ACL surgery in the offseason. He completed 5-of-6 passes for 54 yards before he exited the game early in the second quarter with a 14-7 lead.

Backup quarterbacks, Billy Volek and Charlie Whitehurst, both saw field time but Whitehurst’s showed the more impressive performance. Whitehurst completed 5-of-7 passes for 40 yards versus Volek’s completion of 2-of-4 passes for 12 yards.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think that we're gonna get what we hoped for in Hester - a tough, versatile, smart football player. Saying that he "stunned" Dallas might be a bit over the top. But I like the kid & he sure ain't afraid of contact. :abq2:

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Would branded be better?

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well, he sure tattoo'd a couple of 'em. :tup: :abq1:

5. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    It's a thing of beauty the way Hester delivers punishment to tacklers. :nana_dance:

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Hester looked good, but to suggest that he "stunned" is typical homerist media over-hype.

He made some good plays in the latter half of the game against guys that will either be backups or cut by the time the season starts. Making judgments or creating expectations based on this ONE game is premature and silly.

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16

y'all are going to grow to LOVE the way this kid plays.

Him bowling over that linebacker is what he made a career of at LSU.

8. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Jake uses that big old head of his for a freaking battering ram! :D

9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Prepare to hear that alot the next 4 weeks!!!!! :abq2:

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

That are only three preseason games left.
    I don't this Whitehurst is any better than Lemon.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Dude didn't surprise me one bit.

It's not like suddenly he became good. He's just opening people's eyes to what he has been doing for the last 4 years @ LSU. Owning fools.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He did lay some serious wood on Zach Thomas. Tolbert bust some chops as well.

13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    That's true. Thomas isn't what he was a couple years ago, but he can still play, no doubt.

And I don't mean to come across as a cynic. I just want to make sure we're all considering what we saw in context. And I strongly disagree with some of the commentary I've read that says Hester is going to be our replacement for Michael Turner. I thought Sproles looked very good with the "first team" offense and at this point I feel very strongly that he is much more likely to spell LT.

I think when LT is out we'll probably see packages with both Sproles and Hester on the field in a variety of formations. But (with the exception of short yardage situations) when we're using a single back and LT is on the sideline, I expect it to be Sproles in the backfield.

I like Hester a lot and I think he will develop into a great battering ram. But he will never be a "replacement" for MT. And I don't want to hear people ragging on him midway through the season if he's not lighting the world on fire. The guy is a player, but it's just the preseason and I maintain that we just can not take anything for granted.

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Hester's not a Turner replacement, because I recall M.T. not getting too many passes thrown his way, or going into motion all that much. That's more Marcus Thomas as the other M.T.'s replacement, or even Tolbert if you want to stretch it.

Hester, as the F-Back, will be doing all sorts of stuff in Norv's scheme. :yes:

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    This dude is gonna bring some serious excitement to the team this year.

I predict #22 will be THE jersey to have by next season, like #31 was this year.

16. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Yeah, but I am doing it anyways. :lol:

I love War Daddy, he is my new favorite Charger.

:abq2::abq2::abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  17. floridaboltfan

floridaboltfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I love the idea of a playaction to hester and then a screen pass to LT or sproles I see BIG BIG Diamonds in SAN DIEGO come feb.

18. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I can't wait to see my adopted boy in the regular season.

I predict he will be a great jack of all trades. He will block, catch, and run a little. When teams key on LT too much he will make them pay.

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If we're spelling LT, a backfield of Hester and Sproles will be extremely flexible. Either one can run or catch out of the backfield. In short yardage, depending on what we see in the next few exhibishes, Tolbert could be getting the call from time to time with Hester. Those two could bring back the classic T. I can also see LT throwing to Tolbert or Hester after a brush block. Sproles will more than likely spell for LT more, because he is fast enough to make the corner in a single back formation and my thinking is he will prove to be a more effective inside runner this year than most people think. Modern training practices are such that Sproles, who started as a little power pack, is even stronger than when he entered the league or even last season. It's true of most others on the team and there is no reason for Sproles to be an exception. He also has another year of reading gaps and holes on the fly. Nobody mentions how fast Sproles reflexes are, but I have begun to notice them. His compace size make his reactions quicker relative to the defense, especially as the plays open. They have to scan for the little bastard.