1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hijacked McCoy Hotseat Thread - Now Te'o turf war

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good article IMHO

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/sports/Chargers-Problems-Start-at-the-Start-329851711.html

We’re only three games in to the 2015 NFL season. After getting smoked 31-14 in Minneapolis on Sunday, the Chargers sit at 1-2, but as quarterback Philip Rivers said: San Diego teams have started 1-2 before and gone on to win double-digits in games.

However, when looking at the injury issues along the offensive line (and the defensive secondary, where the Chargers are missing three starters) expecting a sudden turnaround is a lot more difficult this year.

Perhaps the slow start to the season would be helped if San Diego would end the slow starts in games. The Bolts have been behind at halftime in all three weeks this year. It's the extension of a problem that now seems systemic.

Let’s go back to 2014 and peruse the last 16 games the Bolts have played to take a look at their first half point totals, and how the game ended:

At Minnesota 7 (L)
    At Cincinnati 6 (L)
    Vs. Detroit 10 (W)
    At Kansas City 7 (L)
    At San Francisco 7 (W in OT)
    Vs. Denver 3 (L)
    Vs. New England 14 (L)
    At Baltimore 10 (W)
    Vs. St. Louis 6 (W)
    Vs. Oakland 10 (W)
    At Miami 0 (L)
    At Denver 7 (L)
    Vs. Kansas City 14 (L)
    At Oakland 14 (W)
    Vs. New York Jets 21 (W)
    Vs. Jacksonville 17 (W)

Count it up and it’s an 8-8 record. Break it down and there’s an interesting trend. San Diego is 6-2 in games where they reach double digits in first-half scoring. That means they’re 2-6 when they don’t reach at least 10 points by the break. The recent trend is especially alarming. The Bolts have failed to score at least 10 points in the first half in five of their last six games.

So the simplistic question is, what’s causing the slow starts and how do you fix it?

“If we knew it we would try not to do it,” said Rivers. “We just haven’t played well early.”

That would suggest a lack of preparation, and that is on the coaches. We’ve been told countless times that football is a game of adjustments, and to their credit the Chargers have often made the proper adjustments within the framework of a game.

”You make changes throughout the game, weekly, throughout the entire season,” said head coach Mike McCoy. “You go in to a certain series in the game thinking you’ve got to do it this way and they change also on defense then you come back and change. It’s all part of coaching.”

But that coaching does not start after the opening kickoff. With all the tape study these teams do they must have a pretty good idea of how their opponents are going to attack them. Why is it the Chargers are so constantly so far behind their opposition at the opening kickoff, especially on offense?

The simple answer would be they’re not getting ready to play properly during the week and that's causing them to miss opportunities early in games.

“We have to come out fast,” said wide receiver Stevie Johnson. “We can’t be taking time to see what happens.”

Basically what he's saying is the Chargers and all their playmakers on offense need to stop waiting to see what the defense is going to do and start imposing its will on the guys in other uniforms.

“Yeah, that’s pretty much what it is,” said Johnson. “I don’t know what else to say about it besides we’ll see what happens next week.”

So the Chargers would apparently benefit from a better offensive game plan heading in to Sunday, which is interesting for a Mike McCoy-coached team. Back in 2013, his first year as the head man, the Chargers scored at least 10 points in the first half in 13 games. They went 9-4 in those games. So what happened between then and now?

Ken Whisenhunt left, that's what. Coach Whis is an offensive mastermind who has a knack for getting his offenses off to fast starts. Now the head coach of the Titans, Whisenhunt is starting games off really well. In three games, even with a rookie quarterback in Marcus Mariota, Tennessee has scored 45 points in the first half.

That's five more first-half points than the Chargers have scored in their last six games with one of the best quarterbacks in the league under center (or, in the shotgun).

The only logical conclusion to this is McCoy and offensive coordinator Frank Reich have to change the way they’re approaching things because what they're doing is not working. Reich is a big boxing fan so I’ll use this analogy.

No more throwing a few jabs in the early rounds to get a feel for being in the ring with a new opponent. It’s time to walk out and throw a few haymakers. What we’re saying is less Floyd Mayweather and more late-1980’s Mike Tyson.

If the Bolts can start taking control of games early and then making their adjustments and improving as they go, we’ll be looking at a lot more of the 6-2 version of the team and a lot less of the 2-6 edition.

Now, can McCoy come out of his conservative comfort level and make that happen? Is he capable of opening a game by trying to ram the ball right down the other team’s throat? Honestly, I don’t know. But I’d sure like to find out.

Published at 3:57 PM PDT on Sep 28, 2015

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/spo...art-at-the-Start-329851711.html#ixzz3n8CW7p4k
    Follow us: @nbcsandiego on Twitter | NBCSanDiego on Facebook

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Great article. I can't believe that the same FO that brought in Whisenhunt somehow decided that promoting Reich from rookie QB coach to rookie OC was a good idea. Wasn't happy with the move then and certainly am not now. Hope something changes very quickly or 2015's just another season down the toilet.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I really have no problem with promoting Reich. He worked under Wissy-wig and deserved a shot. I cant say that he has fully been tested with the OLs he has had to game plan around.

When the line is functional, the O works. When we are not turning the ball over every game, the O has a shot. I am not ready to put all the offensive woes on any one person, it is shared.

But I am frustrated enough to say it is time to clean out the cupboards..

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Doesn't matter now. We won't have an O-line to stand in the way after the injury report comes out on Wednesday.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dunlap, Franklin, Watt, and Fluker all listed as questionable or worse. Who even knows where Flowers, Verrett, Green, and Addae are at.

5. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    The O works because of Rivers if the line holds, but the scheme is pretty Vanilla. I feel like I have seen 1 playaction pass that wasnt from the gun all season and was like wow... thats still in the playbook. We dont have the line to what the Offense Reich wants to run where we say we are going to run the ball and their isnt anything you can do about it. If it wasnt for Gordon moving the pile and making ppl miss around the line of scrimmage we would be in an even bigger world of hurt right now. And that inside Draw play. Although it works sometimes, we dont get the push or Defensive fronts that we should be using it on. Instead of running it from a tight set, why not run it from a spread set so its a lighter box. God forbid we run a play thats thinking outside the box like passing formation but u actually had it off.

I just hope Reich is fooling us all and saying just get me later into the season so I can finally start calling the counters to these plays once the Defense think they have caught on...

6. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    When we thought no team could be as unlucky as we were last season at especially 1 or 2 positions, we get hit across the board. I dont think there has ever been a game where all 5 OL that started the game missed some time in the said game. And lets not mention the strength of our Defense all being hurt.

7. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Also why dont we try to run behind our Giants on the Left Side. Pair that with Fluker pulling every now and then should produce some success. Its usually run up the gut behind Watt who isnt doing much of anything or run right.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Random thought; I think over the last two years (I don't think we did it as much with Whisenhunt) but we go into shotgun, we run a ton of draw/inside handoff plays as opposed to operating under center. I wonder if the fact that we are running an offensive system which requires that the OL (the vast majority of the times) has to back up instead of firing forward, contributes to the gargantuan amount of OL injuries we've had over the last few years.

I think the scary thing about McCoy is that this is a guy who came out of the Broncos with a great reputation for being creative offensively, and since he joined the Chargers he's become so Marty that even Schottenheimer is thinking it's overkill. He's so damn conservative and so damn predictable that its borderline ridiculous. And that doesn't even begin to note the issue, as the article says, that McCoy appears to not have his team mentally or physically prepared especially in the beginning of every game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    I guess as the OC in Denver he didnt have as much responsibility of being a HC, but for the QB we have and Offensive players, although still needing a deep threat, at times I feel like its still Preseason offense that we are calling. I watch other teams and say, damn, why cant we run a slant. why cant we create mismatches just my alignment, hell why cant we call the play in with like 20 secs so that Rivers can maybe snap the ball with 12 secs on the playclock. Its pretty easy for the DL to fire off the snap when we are snapping it right b4 its 0 on the playclock. If you going to give Rivers power to change the play which he should have, then that play needs to get called alot quicker. But the slow starts are pretty consistent and no adaptability. We just try to force what isnt great. The offense now isnt horrible, but just isnt great to not be willing to adapt to situations. Pair that with 1 penalty per drive and its pretty much a stalled drive which then leads to poor field position and leaving our Defense on the field too long. If we cut the mental mistakes we can survive a little more with the Vanilla offense. I thought having a choir boy team was suppose to contribute to limiting the on-field penalties???

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Or why are we not running outside more. I believe that MG28 has made more yards per run outside.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    I guess we cant run outside if 90% to 95% of our runs is this inside draw

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think we agree...

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    His seat should be set to 500 for him to sit on that might would get his attention.

14. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    This sounds good to me. Remember the game against the Broncos a couple of years back. Everyone in the ground knew we were running left and there wasn't a damn thing they could do. Ryan just followed the big lads and stuffed it down their throats. That was a fun night.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Mc Turtle, should be on a very short leash, turn it around now cause we ain't waitin till next year!!!!!

16. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    I just heard that McCoy is going to the Oct 25th game dressed as Marty, that should fool a few folks...

17. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    The Chargers haven’t been tied or leading after the 1st Quarter of a game since Week 12 of last season – we’ve gone 4-5 in those 9 games, one of them having to be won in overtime. I know we’ve suffered some injuries & some less than favorable calls, but this is looking like a team that consistently takes the field unprepared to play and that goes directly to coaching.

I’ve also begun to wonder if there may be friction between McCoy & Telesco with some personnel decisions, mainly with keeping Donald Brown. I know that by this time last season, we had lost both of our top 2 running backs to injury but I just don’t see his value to the team this year. Maybe Telesco is forcing McCoy to keep Brown on the roster, and McCoy is rubbing his nose in it by making him inactive each week. Right now he looks like the waste of a roster spot (along with Jacoby Jones). Perhaps the sure-handed Donald Brown should be returning kicks, instead of having our top wide receiver return punts & our valuable backup running back return kickoffs.

If we suffer another subpar season, McCoy’s job might be in danger. AJ Smith refused to fire the inept Nov Turner when he should have, and he ended up walking out the door with him - I don’t Telesco will make the same mistake, especially if his neck is on the line too.

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I know people like to say "every team suffers injuries."

But I feel as if it's been a bit WILDLY skewed against us in recent years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Very much agree with you
    We have just been bitten as they say
    Coaches or leagues fault
    Not hitting durning practice
    We are getting soft

20. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,410
    I do think a lineman is generally more likely to get hurt pass blocking, then they do run blocking. We've been more of a passing offense, and many of our runs have been draw plays.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    Whatever about McCoy being on the hotseat (and I should think he deserves to be).. who thinks Telesco is immune from a bit of arse burn?, not me.

This is the guy who kept Trout, Dzub and Brown on the 53. Trout did not deserve a spot period nevermind his injury and now he is gone to IR, what a freakin waste that was. Dzub is a walking penalty machine on special teams and he misses tackles as much as Te'o who is still on the field. Meantime the likes of Burwell (who could start this week) and even Tyrell Williams were risked to waivers instead of these guys. As for Brown, now we are on the hook for megabucks because we didn't dump his sorry *** soon enough and he wears a t-shirt on gameday.

Our 1st round pick is done by half-time, our 2nd and 3rd round picks have free tickets to watch the games....

What the flying F are you doing Tom T?

• Funny Funny x 2
  22. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Really???? Now the GM is deciding who is on the team? WTF to we have MM for?? We don't need a HC since the GM does it all.

23. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I want him fired, not *** burned in some exhibitionist ritual. TT needs to go to, but I believe our draft woes will continue as as the Spanos boys are running the draft. Need to combatant with a strong head coach.

24. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Your saying exactly what I was thinking the past couple of games. And come to think of it, for a long time now. Not only do they have to back up while they are getting pushed (pretty hard to do for anyone) but Rivers is running back 5 yards as well. So when we have what looks like a pretty decent little screen or dump off, we are only gaining back the yards we backed up on. Mix it up team. Show us something other than the "shotgun set, shuffle backwards scramble for a hopeful pocket formation"

25. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I can tell you this, if the Chargers finish 9-7 again, Telesco, entering a contract year will have no choice but to move on from McCoy. Even though it's only October, I think this offseason will have the best handful of potential head coaches to pick from. Obviously, Sean Payton would be my go to if I were Telesco. Here are my reasons why:
    • Payton's offense is unbelievable to watch. Creates mismatches with a number of personnel groups. Uses the underneath routes and run game to draw teams in, then exposes them down field. Payton's offense relies heavily on patience and timing.
    • Leadership and Aggressiveness
    • Combined record of 88-54, 5 out of 8 seasons with 10+ wins.
    • In 2006, Payton took over a franchise starving for success and took a chance on a QB who had offseason shoulder surgery.
    • Super Bowl Winner
    Other candidates include Hue Jackson, Kyle Shanahan and David Shaw. I've defended Mike McCoy for a while, but this team continues to stay the same. No matter how much the roster has been turned over - blown leads, inconsistency of play, game planning, etc. have all been consistent throughout the Norv Turner and Mike McCoy years. I'm hoping it will change, but, doesn't look likely 5 games into the season.

Not for nothing, I know we all laughed when Joe Barry left to become the Redskins DC and some players were interested in signing there. But, look what he's done with that defense. 12th in points against, 6th in total defense, 8th against the pass and 12th against the run. Incredible. Mind you, he's doing this with an offense on the other side that hardly moves the ball.

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah I think the whole front office, secretaries and all, are on the hot seat. But before firing anyone important like Mary Sue in accounting I'd can Frank Reich first, see if McCoy can run this offense well enough to save his job.

Might do the same with John Pagano as well, and just give Mike Nolan a run at it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  27. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    But both Frank Reich and John Pagano are on the 'cusp' of becoming head coaches! :laugh:

28. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    There is a gigantic difference in the level of talent with which Norv Turner had to work and with which McCoy has had to work.

Turner had Speed Racer's Mach 5 for most of his years as our HC. McCoy has been stuck with a Ford Focus by comparison. I think it is fair to ask why Turner didn't win the race with the Mach 5. It is unfair to ask why McCoy didn't win the race with a Ford Focus when other coaches are driving Ferraris, Porsches and even Chevy Malibus. McCoy is still beating the coaches driving Yugos and AMC Gremlins. If you want McCoy to do better in the race, give him a better car than a Ford Focus.

The real problem is that this team lacks talent. Is Sean Payton a better HC than McCoy? Absolutely. Does that mean McCoy is the problem with our team? No. The problem is Telesco, pure and simple. The coaching has not been great, but it has not been horrible either. In fact, it is a huge upgrade over Norv Turner. If you are coaching lesser players, you are going to tend to get lesser results and that holds true even if you happen to be Sean Payton.

A GM can't keep making blunders without it finally taking its toll on the team. You can't give up a year's worth of draft picks in three years, let several good players walk in the process, fire 20% of your draft ammunition and a big chunk a free agency dollars at one position (CB), and then wake up one day and wonder why there is a general lack of quality depth throughout the roster. Stupid move after stupid move has caused the roster to be in a state in which it lacks talent and any competent GM should have been able to see this coming from miles away.

If some of you guys would hold Telesco to even a quarter of the performance standard you seem to want to hold McCoy, Telesco would have been fired and long gone by now.

29. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    It's not about talent. It's about coaching, and that's where we disagree, it has been horrible. It seems as if, since Whisenhunt has left, McCoy has had nobody to lean on for advice. The offense looks brilliant one week or as I've witnessed this season, one series and will go away from the mismatch that was working. McCoy's philosophy is completely flawed - he's one of the most conservative coaches in the league. You think he would of ran the ball on the 1-yard line away from home on Monday Night when a score wins the game with 5 seconds left? Nope. That is the difference between McCoy and the coaching tiers that consist of Belicheck, McCarthy, Payton and Tomlin, etc.

Or how about the Cincinnati game, where he decides to let the Bengals run the clock out when he had timeouts to use to try and get a score before halftime? Or going back to last year against the Patriots at home on Sunday Night down by 9 with under 6 to play with a 4th and 4 and we punt to Tom Brady to kill the game? Or how about going back to his days as a coordinator with Peyton Manning at home in the playoffs against the Ravens and he calls 3 straight run plays? You know how that one ended up..

The problem is McCoy thinks he's doing 'what is best for his football team' and he really isn't. He's playing not to lose, instead of playing to win, which is all that matters in this league. How many wins you tally up in the win column.

You can surely point fingers at the GM, but great coaches know how to win with depleted talent - Look at Belicheck, McCarthy, Payton, Tomlin and shoot even Pete Carroll's first few years in Seattle. These coaches took calculated risks to put their teams in the best positions to win football games. They game planned to play to their teams strengths. Preparation for your opponent and game/time management decisions is where McCoy has plummeted since Whisenhunt left. It's quite obvious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    My take is that McCoy mistakes "buying into the system" as meaning the system provides all answers. The system is the best way to get everyone on the same page and get your teamwork to equilibrium. But if the system can't risk excellence because it cannot absorb failure, well, then you will never venture out of the middle of the bell curve - and you will be perfectly AVERAGE.