1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hip injury returns for Antonio Cromartie

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Hip injury returns for Antonio Cromartie

Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2010 1:08 PM ET

In 2007, former Chargers cornerback Antonio Cromartie put together a Pro Bowl season. In 2008, he regressed -- due in large part to a hip injury that the team allegedly understated.

Kevin Armstrong of the New York Daily News reports that Cromartie was icing his hip after practice on Tuesday, and that coach Rex Ryan downplayed the condition in his daily press conference.

"I figured I'd float it out there, 'Now they need Revis more than ever,'" Ryan said. "Cromartie missed two plays of team period."

During the offseason, Cromartie missed some reps during minicamp practices due to a "fatigued" hip. But it was the left hip, not the right hip.

This time, it's the right hip. And it's the right hip that was fractured in 2008.

There's already speculation and conjecture that the condition from two years ago has returned. And, of course, Ryan would have to be coy about it, because if there's any truth to it Revis' leverage goes up even more.

Meanwhile, some league insiders are wondering why Ryan hasn't used his enormous pile of political capital within the organization to press for the team to agree to Revis' demands. It's possible that he's tried, and that he's simply gotten nowhere with it. It's also possible that he's not willing to burn up any capital to get Revis in the fold, if he realizes that he'll need all of it and more if the home run that Buddy's bambino is predicting ends up being a slow roller to the pitcher's mound.

Finally, we continue to be amused by the persistent reporting from one specific reporter at one specific organization that the Jets and Revis are making progress and continue to be close on a deal. The report is incorrect. There was no meeting last Tuesday (as the reporter reported, citing apparently the same single source), and no progress has been made. The two sides aren't talking. Indeed, there's nothing to talk about. The deal will get done when someone caves. And so it appears that the reporter in question will continue to say "it's coming" until it happens, and then he'll claim that he was right all along.

We'll leave it at that for now, since we don't want to be accused of getting anyone else suspended this week -- and we don't want to give the reporter any additional exposure for reporting something that is flat-out incorrect.

That said, a deal could get done tomorrow. But it won't be due to any meetings that didn't happen last week or any negotiations that haven't occurred. It'll happen if the team or Revis cries "Uncle," which if it's Revis who does it, the "Uncle" could be followed by "Sean."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/01/hip-injury-returns-for-antonio-cromartie/

2. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

3. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I said it before, and I will say it again. One of the reasons Cromartie avoids contact is because he knows he will get injured. He has a history of injuries.

You think a man built like a spider with long arms, long legs, and a thin body is built to hit people? Do people really wonder why his hips have trouble, why he was injured almost his entire career in NFL and college.

Take into account Cro is a pussy who is one of the dumbest people every to pickup a helmet and you get a guy who is really only good at coverage and uses his superior skills to get the ball. He can't tackle and his horrible in the running game.

When Cro makes a big hit, or takes a big hit, he will be injured again. That is what comes with having an abnormal body that isn't designed to take hits.

4. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I am so glad he is the Jets problem now. Would love to see Mathews run him over in the playoffs this year.

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    He must have been trying to make some more babies!

6. Shumway

Shumway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Shame that the pick we got is conditional though. I'd really like it to be a 2nd rather than a 3rd

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He'd never get close enough. :icon_rofl:

Also, first sentence, truer words have never been posted here.

8. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Yes, Mike Florio. It was because of his hip.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Apparently having lots of kids with lots of different women is hard on the hip

10. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :icon_rofl:

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    To many big white women, all it takes is for one to roll over and.... :eek:hmy:

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Oh no he didn't:lol:

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If Revis stays out, the Jets pass defense is in deep doo doo. Cromartie is a great athlete who would have been smart to stick to something like track and field. I'm not sure I'd call a guy who knows he's going to get injured for avoiding collisions with big, fast backs-just means he is way out of place. It's just common sense, not something you see in people who engage in collision sports-me included.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    These are the type players that I wish NFL owners and GM's would stay away from. Let them rot in the ghetto with their baby mama

15. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    On the plus side we did get a 10 interception season and some good highlight footage out of him early on. Also on the plus side (for us) is that he is breaking down as a member of the Jets and is not likely to come back and haunt us. I am thinking he will be on IR before mid-season.

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

I'd like to get that 2nd rounder from NYJ though, which means he needs to play at least 12 games I think.

17. Cheapseats

Ratings:
    +373
    I suppose he could make it, he kind of limped around the last couple of seasons...unless your definition of "play" involves actually making physical contact with another player besides hand-checking the WR.

18. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205

Cromartie definitely has the muscle to lay a hit on someone, don't be fooled by long limbs. His body isn't the pussy, it's him head.

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Or pushing a player in the back after he as already scored a TD...

20. Cheapseats

Ratings:
    +373
    Oh yeah!...way to take one for the team, Cro!
    Just imagine what the New York media will do to him if....er...um....when he tanks a play. I can guarantee it won't be pretty. (...but fun to watch from a distance!)