1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hochuli call meaningless!? WTF!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lightning, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Why do the sportscasters keep saying that because the Chargers put themselve into postion to win the division that it negates hoculis call! Correct me if I am wrong but even if everything else went the exact same way for both teams "except" for the win/loss in THAT game.That as of right now the Chargers would already have clinched the division even if the broncos win this Sunday due to the fact that we have more divison games. Are they just trying to make hoculi feel better for his major F-up or what!?

2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    hoculi call meaningless!? WTF!

That's exactly it. Hochuli is a good guy, most people like and respect him. I have always found him to be a good referee, and he had the stones to own his part of the mess so props for that.

HOPEFULLY, we will win the AFC West this weekend, with no injuries to any players who would have been sitting had that call not been botched. If and when that happens, I personally will be happy that everything worked out as it should have.

3. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I could care less if he's a good guy or not, not relavent at all.Another issue about him blowing the call is that his ego took over in the sense that is reinforced by him taking the blame....I've seen time after time when a head ref has a call in his hands, then called all his team together and overturned something by asking ALL of them what they saw then ruling by consensus, which was never a thought to him because in his mind he is the one the entire game is run through him.
    Something else that bugged me about the call more, is it's more about the Chargers having a strange dislike towards them in the way the media's stance is about the franchise. Likend to things like when Rodney Harrison was a Charger the media said he was one of the dirtiest players to ever take the field but when he became a patriot, he all of a sudden was a "character guy" in their point of view.

4. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    And this is the exacyt point i wanted to make in my past thread im now over it and focusing on sunday go chargers 1 more thing fk ther broncos

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    We have a CHANCE to make it mean nothing.

But as of right now it has cost us the division, had the right call been made we'd have already clinched.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The REF blew his whistle when the ball was ruled an incomplete pass.

By rule, the players have to stop all action and that play can not be reviewed. The play is DEAD.

Calling the refs together after he blew his whistle would have been a waste of time.

7. Tned

Tned BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Rarely does a game go by that the officials don't blow multiple calls, whether it be phantom PI calls, or bogus roughing the passer, or others.

However, the two calls in the SD game (Champ being given the INT, on the duel possession/fumble and Cutler's fumble called an incompletion) were big blown calls.

Not only was the Cutler fumble big, in terms of how bad a call it was, but as we all know, if the call was made correctly, then SD recovers the ball and the game is over. Then, assuming the rest of the season played out the same way, SD would have clinched the west in week 16, and could rest players or use whatever strategy they wanted in week 17.

So, while it might be true that blown calls are part of the NFL every week, there is still no denying the fact that if Hochuli got the call right, SD would be AFC West champs right now.

I don't see how anyone can call it 'meaningless'.

• Like Like x 2
  8. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I agree and Thank You!!!!!!! Nuff said.

:bolt::bolt::bolt:GO BOLTS:bolt::bolt::bolt:

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Only losers cry about calls.

I still think Ed is second best ref in the league (behind Mike Carey).

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I wish people would quit thinking others are complaining about the call itself in both this and the other thread on this topic.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I wish some people realized they need to drop this issue because we had plenty of opportunities to win w/out the call going our way.

:D

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I need to spread some rep around. That call mean's nothing at this point, dude owned up to it and our clud fought scratched and found a way. This game on Sunday means something but that game in the second week of the season is in the record books.:bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    That call means everything right now.

If we go into the playoffs with the AFC West locked up as of last week then there's no questions that we lose game one of the playoffs. An emotional win off of a division rival in the last game of the season that catapults the Bolts into the playoffs may be the ONLY thing that can turn this underachieving team around.

So, "Thank you Ed Hochuli. Thank you for providing this team a jumping off point to make the Super Bowl."

14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    What about the last play in the Carolina game? Or any number of other things that went wrong this season?

To lay it all on 1 call is silly.

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It wasn't one call. It was essentially a two game swing in the division. It changed the entire outlook of the rest of our season.

I think the time for talking about this call has come, but for the mediots to say Hochuli is off the hook is bullshit. It was one of the most horrible blown calls in NFL history.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I wish some people would realize nobody's bringing up the issue to begin with.

This thread and the other thread are complaining about the media.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,415
    To be clear, I agree with what you're saying, though.

If we were 10-5 right now when we "should be" 11-4 and were facing playoff elimination by one game it'd be different, but the Chargers have ****ed up so many games this year it seems dumb to complain about that one game even if we "should" have won it if not for Hochuli.

18. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Wow... you really didn't read the words I wrote. :icon_shrug:

19. eastcoastboltgal

eastcoastboltgal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +695
    Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:00 am EST

I'd like for Ed Hochuli to officiate the Broncos/Chargers game
    By MJD

Ed Hochuli is not assigned to call the Broncos vs. Chargers game on Sunday, and I think it's a shame.

The NFL is missing out here. The game's already been flexed to Sunday night because of its do-or-die nature, but there's a chance to add another level of intrigue. The WWF does it all the time. Lex Luger vs. Yokozuna at Wrestlemania X? Sounds good. Lex Luger vs. Yokozuna at Wrestlemania X ... with Mr. Perfect as the special guest referee? Dream come true.

Ratings would go through the roof. Advertise the game as "The Denver Broncos vs. the San Diego Chargers, with returning special guest referee, Ed Hochuli!" It would be a gold mine.

But the real reason I want him to call the game? Because the Chargers are owed one giant make-up call, and Ed Hochuli knows that better than anyone on the planet. I think he showed a proper amount of remorse for what happened in Week 2 in Denver. It's almost inhumane not to give him a chance to make up for that. If he doesn't get a chance to right this, he'll never be able to set foot in San Diego again.

Other officials I'd find to be fair and acceptable for the game include:

• Tony Gwynn
    • Ron Burgundy
    • The Ghost of Bob Hope
    • Tim Donaghy, with a $20,000 bet placed on the Chargers on his behalf
    • Kendra Wilkinson
    • Shawne Merriman

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...chuli-to-officiate-the-Broncos?urn=nfl,130659

20. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

:lol:

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I understand your opinion, but you're thinking for the player's doesn't really proof out. Sure an emotional win over the Donk's would be great, but then again, we can't really say how they will play in the first round.:bolt:

22. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I agree. I don't think anyone knows how they are going to play in the first round. Not even the Chargers.

But we do know how they have played all season... not well. We also know that even good teams must elevate their play in the playoffs.

So what will elevate the play of a team that has unsuccessfuly been trying to elevate their play all season? Maybe something external. This game seems like it could be catalytic for many reasons. IMO, of course.

Maybe we can all agree that if this team doesn't change it's character they will not make it to the Super Bowl.

23. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

THAT!!! I CAN AGREE ON!!!!

:tup::tup::tup:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  25. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    SCREW IT ILL REF THE GAME PUT ME IN THE ZEBRA STRIPES

26. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I just want to opportunity to show some of these NFL officials what an illegal block in the back, a punch to the head and pass interference really look like... :icon_twisted:

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    :icon_eek: I thought you was hitched? :icon_eek:

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930

May I suggest this play?

29. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Classic~

30. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807