1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Holmes defends Wilhelm

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Thursday, January 29, 2009
    By Kevin Acee

Matt Wilhelm took a lot of heat in San Diego for the high five he gave Santonio Holmes after Holmes' 67-yard punt return for a touchdown in the divisional round of the playoffs.

"That was just some Buckeye love," Holmes said Thursday before the Steelers practiced at the University of South Florida. "He shook his head like, 'Why'd you have to do it against us?' "

Holmes and Wilhelm played together at Ohio State.

Holmes talked later about a decision he almost made to go to North Carolina State instead. Wolfpack coaches were recruiting him hard, and he was considering it.

"They were using four and five receivers all the time," Holmes said. "And Philip Rivers didn't have a favorite receiver. He would throw to everybody. I thought about it. But he was going to be there only one more year and I'd only get him another year."

• Like Like x 1
  2. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Fukem both that was BS what he did. Don't let the door hit you in the *** Matt! :yes:

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Matt Wiffhelm can DIAF.

4. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I dont think it is that big a deal. Fans always read more into it than there really is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I agree.

He sucks for other reasons, like his play. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Exactly, too many people try and put things, where things just dont belong.

7. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I am not a big Wilhelm fan and after his buckeye love I am even less a fan. He should be worrying about whether that he will be released and signed by the Lions. Thats what I call suckeye love!! Please release him as soon as you can.

8. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    It's a pretty sorry statement when your fellow players and your fans don't have any love for you, but someone like Santurdio Holmes does. Wilhelm better be looking over his shoulder, Siler, Dobbins, Applewhite, Tucker, Harris are coming after your job.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    HELL YEAH! WHO NEEDS GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP! HANG'EM! :unsure:

10. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    My name is rexy2006 and I approve this message.

I'm still his adopted mom. If I dont defend him in here, nobody else will.:icon_sad:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I know your pain (damnit Igor) but he's screwed up too much

12. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    After the game I don't care what they do. But a high five in the second quarter of a huge playoff game? On a huge play that gave the Steelers the momentum after an early TD? :no:

I understand their friends but there’s a time and a place and that wasn’t it. If I was a teammate of his I’d be pissed and I’d hope his real teammates would be too. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well you and I will have to agree to disagree. I believe in good sportsmanship. High fiving someone is not giving them the game. It is showing a bit of class, being able to acknowledge a good play by the other team. It is not giving up.

It is the same as a player helping another player up after a play. Too much is made of this type stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I see it all the time in the NFL I don't no what the big deal is...

15. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    Fair enough, but all that could be accomplished with a simple nice play man but next time where going to take your F'in head off. :icon_eek:

Call me old school but I can't see someone like Butkis or Lambert exchanging pleasantries after they just got scored on in a playoff game.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    IMO, all of our defense deserves a second chance. The only ones that did anything credible this season as far as I'm concerned are (surprisingly) Dobbins, Jammer, Cooper, and a nice rookie season for Cason.
    Phillips, Olshansky, Castillo, etc. have always been great and I don't buy that they can just lose it like that. Even Wilhelm has had his moments.

So I think we should see what happens this season, since they'll have a fresh start with Rivera in charge and Merriman back.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We need guys with murderous intent, not ones who look like they're asking you to dance. If Rivera can put some attitude in this D, I'm all for it. But first there are some heads that need to roll. Olshansky & Wilhelm are 2 of them.

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly and I think he can. Olshansky always had that in him until last season. That was when they really became Cottell's defense. He softened up ALL of the players.
    Like I said "Wilhelm has had his moments." I'm not ready to throw him under the bus but I won't be heart broken if he's not back next season either.

This was one of the top defenses in the league under Phillips. They were still one of the top defenses last season because they were still Wade's defense. A year later, Cottell's stench began to ware on the Defense and it went down hill from there.
    This was with mostly the same players. That's why I think Rivera can get it back to where it should be.

19. BLITZED56

Ratings:
    +50
    Exactly, this should be the motto of the front office this offseason!

20. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah well fu*k that sh*t too,...shove his as* back down on the ground and kick some dirt on him before walking back to the huddle :rolleyes2:

As i said, fans read more in to it than there really is.

21. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Exactly. I don't think you'll be reading any quotes about Charger players defending what Wilhelm did.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He can high-five all of the steelers that he wants. They would still never hire his p.ussy-*** to play on that defense. They hire assassins, not ballerinas. :yes:

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This just makes me hate THE Ohio St. even more. Ohio St. guys and guys from the U seem to care more about their college teamss than their pro teams. I hope AJ ships Willhelm's azz out of here in the offseason.