1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Holt added to active roster

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers.com
    Casey Pearce
    Posted Nov 3, 2009

The Chargers signed linebacker James Holt from their practice squad Tuesday to fill the roster spot made available following the release of wide receiver Chris Chambers Monday.

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner said Monday that his team would likely look from within to fill the open roster spot with a linebacker to help on special teams, and that help will come from James Holt[​IMG].

The team announced Tuesday afternoon that they’ve signed the rookie linebacker from the practice squad. He’ll fill the roster spot created Monday when the team released wide receiver Chris Chambers.

Holt (6-2, 223) originally joined the Chargers in May as an undrafted free agent. He was released at the conclusion of training camp and immediately added to the team’s practice squad, where he’s spent the first eight weeks of the regular season. Holt appeared in all four of the Chargers’ preseason games and recorded eight tackles.

Prior to joining the Chargers, Holt was a consensus All-Big 12 performer at Kansas.

James Holts Profile - http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/holt_james00.html

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Oh well, open the gates and let's see what the Jayhawk can do...

Pointy :icon_twisted:

3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    That's the best we could do after releasing Chambers? Great job AJ! :tdown:

4. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    For a second, I thought they added Tory Holt.....:icon_eek:

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    why not, dude's been practicing with the team all year.

let's bust a few heads

6. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    You can almost tell how much attention some charger fans have been paying by their reaction to a move like this.

Sorry, but the last thing I'm going to do is complain about an undrafted free agent joining the active roster.

7. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    What an exciting time for him! At least we know he can tackle. Lets see how an eager to prove himself athlete adds to this roster.

8. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I wish him a ton of success! All positive....until he messes up!

Good Luck Holt!

9. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    I do wish him the best and hope that he can make a contribution on ST.

10. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I remember being impressed with this kid during pre season games. He seems to have a high intensity to his game. He was always in motion and never gave up on a play, rather chasing the ball carrier till the play was over. I think he could be a good addition.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Why? This is a good move.

We needed to replace an injured LB with a capable LB.

Dobbins can tackle. So can Holt.

Dobbins plays on ST. So did Holt in preseason.

What's wrong?

12. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    Nothing I guess. Just not impressed with the addition of a undrafted practice squad guy at this point in the season.

Look as a ST he'll be fine, but with the loss of Burnett and Dobbins at MLB, I was hoping to rent-a-vet for the rest of the season.

These guys are all available

Inside Linebacker
    Zach Thomas - Still could start, but wouldn't be able to probably play as much as he's used to.
    Nate Webster (SLB) - Probably could still start if needed.
    Derek Smith - He worked out for the New Orleans Saints recently.
    Napoleon Harris - Decent option as a backup.
    Pat Thomas - Decent backup option. Worked out for the Bills recently.
    Teddy Lehman - Talented, but oft-injured LB.
    Ryan Nece (SLB) - He's a solid, versatile backup.
    Leon Williams (OLB) - Decent backup, who can play outside if needed. Had three or four workouts recently.
    Kris Griffin (ILB/MLB) - Solid special teamer and deep backup LB.

Outside Linebacker

Derrick Brooks (WLB) - Will need to find a team that plays a cover-2. He said that still wants to play and had a workout for the Saints recently. Currently working for ESPN and Sirius NFL Radio.
    Marcus Washington (SLB) - Decent pass rusher in a 4-3 scheme from OLB.
    Morlon Greenwood (WLB) - Solid backup option at WLB.
    Boss Bailey (SLB) - Oft-injured, but talented linebacker.
    Victor Hobson (SLB) - Solid backup option at SLB.
    Rocky Boiman (SLB) - Can play all three LB positions. Solid special teamer. Worked out for the Chiefs recently.
    Darryl Blackstock (SLB) - Decent backup option at SLB.
    Marques Harris (SLB) - Just got released by the 49ers. Decent backup OLB.
    Robert Thomas (SLB) - Can play all three LB positions.
    Matt Stewart (SLB) - Average backup option.
    Donnie Edwards (ILB/WLB) - 36-year old LB who may retire.
    Louis Green (SLB) - Good special teams player and could fill in as a spot starter.
    Dontarrious Thomas (WLB/MLB) - Versatility may help him find work as a backup.
    Alex Lewis (SLB) - The Lions recently released him. He worked out for the Houston Texans recently.
    Matt McCoy (WLB) - Recently released by the Buccaneers. Worked out for the Lions recently.
    Shantee Orr (SLB/OLB in 3-4) - Decent pass-rushing OLB. Would be a solid backup.
    Alfred Fincher (SLB) - Started off his career at MLB, but more of a backup SLB at this point.
    Carlos Polk (OLB in 3-4) - Veteran who fits in a 3-4 scheme as a fifth or sixth LB.
    Gary Stills (SLB/OLB in 3-4) - Good special teams player, but was selected in the UFL draft.
    Gilbert Gardner (SLB/WLB) - Former third-round pick of the Colts who fits in as a fifth or sixth linebacker.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    What number is the new guy going to be wearing? I remember him from the preseason, a hitter and not a quitter...

Pointy :icon_twisted:

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    6' 2" 223 sounds like a safety. :icon_shrug::icon_eek::icon_huh:

15. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    53?

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
  17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Because there was so much he can do at this point in time?

I suppose he could have traded for someone...no, wait, it's past the trade deadline.

Perhaps he should use mind manipulation and force another GM to release someone?

Or he can pick someone up through free agency because there's so many great players just waiting to be signed in the middle of the season.

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Jeeez Leo are u having a bad couple of weeks or what?. What can I do to cheer u up?. I'd buy u a pint if I could!. :yes:

Ray listed loads of guys that have different degrees of experience who at the moment are out there and available. I thought that was a great comeback to those saying 'who' should we have brought in. Carlos Polk is out there and he was a special teams demon with us at one stage. One of many guys.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    He's been practicing with the team so there won't be as much of an issue regarding learning the playbook, and he'll be there to fill in on special teams while Siler works at ILB. So for that they don't need an old vet like Zach Thomas (cut by the CHIEFS) or Donnie Edwards.

Though I admit itd be amusing to see Carlos Polk back, anyone know where Zeke Moreno is?

20. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Found this on YouTube regarding Holt:

21. sdcfan18

sdcfan18 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Zeke is playing with the Argos of the CFL . Same team Ricky Williams signed with a few years ago and the team Flutie played with before the Bills picked him up. They play only 30 min from me but it's pretty depressing to watch, so I couldn't tell u how he's done this year. if memory serves me, he led the league in tackles a few years a with the Hamilton Tiger Cats.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    All those guys are probably still available for a reason.

Although, I do have some criticism for AJ.

If all he wanted to do was make roster room for another LBer, regardless of who the replacement should be, why cut a starter (Chambers) instead of a bench fodder bust who isn't even active every game? (Davis)

23. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
  24. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    It's all about the cap.

The Bolts save $2.4 million of cap space on a player they weren't going to re-sign after this season.

Davis is only a $400K cap hit this year and is the backup KR/PR if Sproles gets hurt.

25. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    So the Spanos family were just to cheap to keep the better of the 2 WR's on the team for the remainder of the year. Chambers was gone anyways next year, so keeping him JUST IN CASE really came down to greed. Oh and if we need a KR/PR then stick Cason or Cro back there.

26. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Don't try to do seven figure mathematics when you are too stupid to do two. The dude caught 9 balls of 31 thrown at him this year. That should be easy to comprehend.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,414
    Cap management is about more than just lining the owners' pockets. This isn't baseball where the owner's desire to spend X amount of money is the only limiting factor in payroll management.

I'm still not sure if I agree with the choice, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it must have been about greed if there were cap space concerns.

28. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    And Buster has 0 catches and has yet to get suited up. Look everyone recognizes that Chambers was in a slump. But we all know what he's capable of doing of the field.

So you start Malcom ahead of him the rest of the season, and have him just in case VJ of Floyd go down. He's gone anyways next year. Recognize that money had almost everything to do with him getting cut.

29. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    I don't get it. If Chambers was catching the freakin' ball the Chargers would have had no problem paying him. But you romantics are defending what he once was. If Kaeding kicks 9 out of 31 FG attempts everyone would scream for his head no matter what he is being paid.

30. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Huh? So if I am failing at my job and point to someone 20 years younger than me (in relation to an athlete's lifespan)... who is doing worse, will the boss be impressed by that?