1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Home opener against Jacksonville

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Brundlefly, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    not sure if this is the right place to post but I'm considering flying to San Diego for the opener. How much do single game tickets typically cost and where would be somewhere super cheap to stay for a couple days. Thinking of flying in Saturday and out on Tuesday. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Typical ticket will probably be around $120.00, but I hear you can get them for less through StubHub. It really depends on the demand for the tickets. It's not like half of Florida is clamoring to get these tickets to see their beloved Yaguars... Should be one of the games where we get a pro-San Diego crowd. Wear the road whites, as it will likely be very warm. (It was over 100 degrees on the field the last two home openers.)

Reasonable place to stay? Motel 6 in Mission Valley. I'm sure there are others, go through one of those hotel websites like hotels.com or Orbitz, etc. I just saw the daily rate at around $59.99 per night. Book that room well in advance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    From what it looks like, tickets go on sale on June 20th. I'm from Canada so have no experience ever going to an NFL game or buying tickets, do they typically go quick (Jaguars excluded). I just got a white Verrett jersey so I can wear that. Like I said, it'll be a quick trip. Looks like an In-n-Out is pretty close to the stadium as well!

Edit: Also, if I were wanting to get in on the tailgating experience, would you locals be able to show some Canadians a good time! Haha

4. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    You could even get the tickets from the Chargers ticket office, which is at the stadium. 619-280-2121 I think that they may have single game tickets for sale.

In-N-Out is about a mile away from the stadium. You are welcome to join us at the stadium for our home opener tailgate. We get plenty of members from Canada, like my friend Fargo from Vancouver, or Diego from Montreal. You bring the crullers, we will have beer for you, eh?

070613bob&doug.jpg

5. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I was a season ticket holder for about 5 years ending about 6 years ago and I flew in from northern California (where I used to live) to see the games.

I agree with what Pointy has to say and would add the following.

For the home opener it is likely to be warm and sunny, which is why the team has gone to the practice of wearing white in September home games. Because of that, I would recommend getting seats on the Chargers side of the stadium if possible, which is the shady side. Sections in the middle to above middle 30s (like 35-38) are going to put you closer to the 50 yard line.

Watch out for Field level seats with low row numbers (like 1-9 or so) because those are actually obstructed view seats. Every year there are fans that buy those seats thinking that they are the best only to find out they can't see the game very well at all. I had Plaza level tickets for a couple of years in section 35 with a fairly low row number (6 if memory serves) and they were good seats.

If you can't get the seats that you want online via the primary market, then I would recommend StubHub, which carries a FanProtect guarantee. You think it will never come into play, but I can tell you that I was crapping my pants when I bought tickets to meet up with some buddies to see the final year of old Yankee Stadium and the seller sent the wrong tickets (wrong week) and there was no time to correct the situation. StubHub's people met me there at Yankee Stadium and upgraded me at no charge, which is their guarantee.

There is less of that in recent years with instant ticket printing (which allows you to see the tickets way ahead of time), but if you are coming all the way from Canada and bought your tickets on the secondary market, you don't want any foul ups like I almost had for my trip to Yankee Stadium.

Beyond that, I found that taking the trolley to the stadium was better than paying for parking and more convenient. If you consider that option, I would advise going early, though, because the trolley cars get body to body packed when it gets closer to kickoff time.

Of course, if you have to bring something for a tailgate, that may not work as well unless the trolley car is fairly empty.

If you do take the trolley, be prepared to wait a while to get out of the stadium (like 30 to 45 minutes in some cases). I don't think getting out by car is much, if any faster. The Q is not one of the better parking traffic managed stadiums.

Finally, regarding hotels, if you are aiming for cheap, there is always Hotwire, which makes you commit to the hotel before you know which one it is, but also is frequently the source of significant savings over many of the other travel websites. You can see how good of a hotel it is and what amenities it has, though, before you purchase.

I hope you get to go and have a great time. I do miss going to the games since I moved to Texas.

6. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    From what I was reading on the chargers site tickets don't go on sale until the 20th but I checked stubhub and they have ones on there already? I'm looking at like sections 34-37ish

7. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^ Try for those sections, it will get some shade faster than other areas of the stadium.

8. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    So I phoned the Chargers office and they said they aren't on sale yet, so when I see them listed on stubhub are those legitimate?

9. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    My suggestion is to contact StubHub and ask first.

10. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    It looks like it's probably a season ticket holder selling tickets.

11. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    If that season ticket holder is likely not planning on being there due to being out of town, and the price is right I would go for it.

12. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    I went for them! So I'll be there section 34 Plaza level row 2!

13. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    They were $117 each.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Perhaps, just a note for future reference. Rows 1 through 6 on Plaza level tends to have people walking or standing directly in front of you. (The walkway separating Plaza from Field level) The better seats are usually rows 7 and up in Plaza. Of course, most times you are standing because everybody else is standing all around you.

15. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    Typical. Bloody Tom bloody Telesco not getting folk to sit down.

:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^ Yup, the stadium has been up and running since the mid 60's, and that must all be TT's fault too...

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    I'm so excited that I'll get to see Rivers and Gates before they hang em up. Even if I have travel thousands of miles to do it!

18. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Also talked to my Kohler rep and they may send me to Kohler, WI this fall so I might be able to see a Packers game as well. Lambeau is basically football Mecca

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,156
    Absolutely! If you just resign yourself at the outset,
    there there will be pedestrians passing in front
    of you pretty often...the sight lines are great!

p.s. Props to you, Pointy, for coming out with your new avatar at this time,
    what with Trump's celebrated animosity towards your people!

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 8.49.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 8.48.32 PM.png

20. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    p.s. Props to you, Pointy, for coming out with your new avatar at this time,
    what with Trump's celebrated animosity towards your people!

[​IMG][​IMG]

My people? Thanks, I think... I thought the initials were CC, my bad. You know, Chapulin Colorado...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  21. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I did some work in Green Bay last year. I was there for a month. Lambeau is an unbelievable place to watch a football game. Trust me... If u have the opportunity.....Go!

22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The Stubhub seats will be season ticket holders reselling their tickets, most likely for above face value. I think you're better off waiting until single-game tix go on sale June 20th and buy through Ticketmaster. You will likely get the most bang for your buck that way. You might find better seats on Stubhub, but you will definitely pay a premium.

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    You'll have a great time in Dego and going to the game, nothing to really compare it to. I'm glad I grew up there and remember when it was the sleepy little border town by the sea. Great memories indeed.

Enjoy yourself and make sure you hook up with the BT gatter, an experience I'm sure you'll never forget!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    bring some kokaneE!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Heck, I would be good with Molson in a can... Party on indeed!!!

party on Garth.jpg

26. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Fuddruckers is about a mile away too, better beef, better buns, and the fries don't taste like a*s. In N Out has good burgers for fast food, but seriously I don't get the love for that place. There are so many better burgers out there, but oh yeah, you don't get to use the "secret" menu that pretty much everyone knows about.

Regardless of my mini rant about overrated burgers, you should have a great time at the game!

27. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    We have (from what I've heard) the only Fuddruckers in Canada actually so I've had it before. It's pretty good, but definitely need to try some new stuff. I also need fish tacos.

28. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Some of the best fish tacos in San Diego come from the local food trucks.

29. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    You'll definitely have to join us at the tailgate - it's always a good time with great people :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,156
    While I'd agree that some In-N-Out fans are a bit over-the-top,
    the Double-Double is a hell of a tasty & satisfying burger for about three fifty!
    Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 8.14.23 PM.png

• Agree Agree x 1