1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Honestly scared of Moss?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Jared91121, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Jared91121

Jared91121 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Im looking at it and the only possible way this Chargers defense squad could be exploited is in the deep ball given the weakness at both the corner and safety spots. Even though he's ****** numbers in a ****** *** city with a ****** offense for the last few years let's not forget that he is a freak althletically much like T.O. and the deep ball will always be a threat when he is in the game. Especially with a proven QB throwing to him like Tom brady who did if i remember correctly knocked us out last year?

Now I'm the biggest Charger fan around, but doesn't this need to be addressed at this point?

That aside I think the best solution would be to put Cromartie on him, who might be able to keep up with him the most physically.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    F no.

He's a turd. Give him some time, I think together with Stallworth, those guys are gonna wreak havok on that offense, and not in a good way.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    We either owned or injured Moss every time we played him. I think he's the one that ought to be scared. :yes:

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Moss lacks T.O.'s competitiveness and work ethic. Say what you will about T.O., but that dude does not take plays off, and he works as hard as anyone to stay in peak physical form.

Randy Moss's physical skills are in decline. This isn't just a matter of Randy being in a crappy offense. He has slowed down considerably. He lacks the burst he once had, and Randy has never bothered to refine his technique to prepare him for the inevitable erosion of his physical skills.

Randy has had three sub-par seasons in a row. He hasn't had more than 60 catches since 2003. Honestly, I am not at all afraid of Randy Moss. He is a lazy, overhyped china doll who is past his prime. The Pats additions of Donte Stallworth and Adalius Thomas are far more worrisome to me than the addition of Randy.

5. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    First off, brady is not an elite long ball thrower. He is very good at throwing the shorter and medium passes. He has never really played with a deep threat, so it remains to be seen if he can throw the true long ball. He gets a lot of long pass plays on the stats sheet because he throws the ball so well, and lets the WR run after the catch, but that is not exactly the same thing. The other issue I would have is whether their OL can hold our a good pass rush for that long.

There are things you can do when game planning to help remove him from the equation. Moss doesn't like being physical. He doesn't like blocking or being hit one little bit. So, we need to favor cover2 and various press coverages. Let Jammer get up and beat on him. Distract him, keep him from working hard on what he is supposed to be doing. Make sure Jammerhas lots of deep help, because sooner or later Moss will get by. Every time the ball is up, have the S hit hiim if he can. Play the ball but make sure Moss has to fight for everything and get him distracted. Occasionally, I would even walk a LB out to bang on him and jam him coming off the line. When we play zone, tell every defender who can ge their hands on him to give him a jam and slow his release to neutralize his speed.

We can also try to limt the opprutunities they have to get him the ball. If we run the ball alot mixing in some ball contorl passing, we keep the offense off the field. They will also have to mix in some runs and short passes, so that limits his oippruntunities. They never came close to stopping our running game last time. And lastly, we need to rush Brady. It is hard to throw deep passes if the pass rush is in your face. You can't step up and QB try to get rid fo the passes before the Moss has really run his route. None of this is going to be a sure fix, but I think this is how you have to approach the game.

I would focus less on this for game #2 then I would for a post season game. Go in and see if we can dominate just by trying to win the game without building the game plan around anyone, except maybe Brady. Then we can step it up an knotch if we need to.

The other thing to consider, is that I think our pass coverage can and will get better. I have been going back and watching some games, and Kiel is really a weak link in the secondary. He is slow to come up and help. He is not a very good man coverage guy. He held us back. THe biggest thing it hurts is that our CB had to play more passivly, because they never new if they could jump routes and have help if they made a mistake. You cannot play CB effectively if you have to worry about having help around. You have to KNOW that when you try to jump a route, or make a play that the help will be there. Even if Weddle has to play, I think he will be an improvement.

I am also not convinced that Moss will even make the Pats final roster. He doesn't like to practice hard. He doesn't like to practice at full speed. That is going to wear thin after a couple of weeks of camp. He also has always been used almost exclusively outside. While that adds a great new dimension to the Pats, he is not exactly the bread and butter of their passing game. The coaches may not care, but when you don't include Moss early and often, like a lot of great WR, he has a tendancy to go to sleep out there. The Pats playcalling really demands a lot of patience.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Moss is a step slower, a year older, and will always be a dik.

his crappy attitude will show up the first time one of our db's lays him out.

I hope it's Flo.

:tup:

7. captaind

captaind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    His veins are clogged with malted hops and bong resin. Half the time, he looks hungover on the field.

If he's a deep threat, he's only good on those routes about twice a game, if that much. He's not the athletic specimen he used to be.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I don't buy into the hype about moss re-igniting the Patriots offense.

It was obvious watching him on tape that he was slowing down and his natural talent was fading. At a certain point, receivers lose some of the skill they had w hen they were younger and then have to rely less on natural talent and more on training, experience and practice. That's the way players like Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, Keenan McCardell and numerous others were able to stay in the league for a long time even after their talent faded.

Moss isn't one of those players. In minnesota he beat people on natural talent, and his was incredible no question about it. When he got to Oakland he started to slow down from injuries and just father time. But unlike a player like McCardell, Moss never cared to work on his route running or his ability to outthink cornerbacks. As such Moss is relying on the same old tricks that his body can't provide for him. Even counting for the bad QB and OL play, Moss was not outrunning or out jumping DBs like he used to going back to 06 and 05.

The only way moss will ever be a 'scary target' is if he devotes himself to learning all the crap he ignored as a young player. and his track record suggests that won't happen.

• Like Like x 2
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    btw I'm not overly worried about Welker or Stallworth either

Stallworth is a china doll who played one full year and is always knicked up.

Welker is a decent slot receiver and return guy but I wasn't impressed that much with the Chargers and I haven't seen anything too impressive with the Dolphins either.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    All it takes is one good hit by Hart or McCree and Moss gives up for the season.

11. super_deluxe

super_deluxe World Class

Ratings:
    +46
    Remember the double hit we put on TJ Whosyourmama? Yup. McCree and one of our ILB's would be glad to re-enact that with Moss.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I think wwek 2 sounds like a good time to figure out if he can handle being part of a team that has a thousand receivers.

13. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Why would the Pats even need Moss? They burned our shut down CB for 49 yards in man to man coverage on 3rd and 10 with CALDWELL.

I expect Moss to be fine in NE. He's a frontrunner. When things are good, people love him. They won't be losing in NE and bring out his bad qualities. Hopefully the breaks go our way this time and we beat them anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Agree completely.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

IMHO Tom Brady didn't beat the Bolts. The Bolts beat themselves.

16. super_deluxe

super_deluxe World Class

Ratings:
    +46
    Now if only Pats fans could realize the truth of what happened that day

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The public's man-love for Welker is very surprising. He is a 10 yard per catch receiver and a medicore return man. He does not impress me.

18. Steve

Steve BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I don't think we even have treally hurt him. Moss doesn't like the physical part of football. He is such a great athlete, he likes to run free and clear through the secondary. But he doesn't like to hand fight with people. He doesn't like to block. He just doesn't like to do the dirty work. The trick is that most teams don't like the risk that goes along with playing him physically. We have done fairly well against him , so I think we should continue it.

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I agree. Just running up next to him and yelling "BOO!" should do the trick. :icon_tease:

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Jammer allowed one reception in that entire game. Sure, it was at a bad time. But I tip my hat to Brady on that one. He made a perfect pass.

Jammer played extremely well in that game. If the rest of the team had played as well as Jammer, we would not have lost.

21. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    The Pats running game doesn't scare to the point where I think we will need to be cheating our safeties up. I also think we can get consistent pressure on Brady rushing four so I don't think our defense will be exposed to big plays.

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I agree. Maroney has alot to prove. Our safeties should be able to provide help over the top. Jamal and co. should be able to handle Maroney without the safeties, especially with Willhelm replacing the ankle biter.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    And we would be remiss if we didn't give Donnie Edwards his props. Good old #59 played his heart out in a losing cause, he was probably our defensive MVP that day.

24. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Wow, you can you can simultaneously be on Buster's and Donnie's groin at the same time? :icon_eek:

25. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    He does have two hands...... :abq1:

See what that bolt is doing above?

Something like that.

:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  26. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Why is it that no one believes our defensive backfield wont continue to improve over last year. They went from the dregs of the league to above average, is that next step to elusive for them, or just to damn slippery?.

As far as jam being beaten by EYES, pftttttttt, I ask, where in the hell was the safety on that play????. It looked to me that Jam was rolling to the inside, seen there was no over the top help and adjusted to cover for someone else's mistake. Fact is he did make the play and the recovery was fantastic. Thats the way I saw it. :bolt:

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    First off, it's gonna be mighty damn hard for Brady to throw the long ball to Moss when he's on his back. :icon_tease:

Next, Moss doesn't want any part of our physical D. Somebody's gonna light him up good just once & that will be the end of his day.

The Pats best offseason acquisition was Adalius Thomas, hands down.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    That wasn't the Bolts, than was Marty and Cam beating us. WTH was McCardel doing that whole game?