1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hot Coordinator/GM names for teams

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Dec 28, 2015.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Doug Marrone is an interesting name. Especially if he can bring Jim Schwartz with him as his defensive coordinator.

3. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
  4. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +241
    I'd throw Todd Haley into that coaching mix as well, but I like
    1. Josh McDaniels - I seriously doubt he would take our job though
    2. Tom Cable - one tough SOB - I've long felt we need a hard *** head coach. I've had enough of the softies (Turner/McCoy). We've been successful with Schottenheimer and Ross. We've sucked with Henning, Riley, Gilbride, Turner - need I say more?
    3. Hue Jackson

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    I think your best bet is to look for a HC that is really outspoken in player personal department. Telesco is here to stay unfortunately, so the next best thing to hope for is HC who is in his ear damming HIS players. Not Colt Re-treads.

The thing I fear is TT getting more complacent, now that he knows he can survive this trainwreck of a season.

Hue Jackson is the man for the job....I think.

6. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    What do you guys make of the potential Sean Payton link?

If he was interested, would spanos even pony up to get him or would he be too cheap?

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Makes sense.

If we truly move to LA, we can't market a Mike McCoy, Adam Gase, Sean McDermott, etc. Marketing a well-known, well-respected coach like Payton will be much easier. He's spent a parts of his career in Southern California, recently moved his daughter to Malibu where she is going to college - he even took a few days off in August and missed a few practices to be a full time dad.

However, he always creates speculation once his seat gets hot. Even though New Orleans has struggled in an easy division in consecutive years under Payton, the team is a bit of a dumpster dive. Mickey Loomis has made some questionable moves that has handcuffed the team at times, and not to mention the retaining of Rob Ryan after two horrible seasons, well until they fired him this year.

Still, their offense is one of the top units in the NFL. Also, Payton is from the Parcells tree, and could most likely assemble a terrific staff of coaches. The possibility of Doug Marrone as OC (although if Payton leaves, he is the favorite to take over), Dennis Allen as DC - makes my mouth water.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I don't know if they will go cheap if they get LA.

I do not have numbers but the Chargers have been bringing some heavy hitters in to work with them to open LA. Iger, Policy etc.

I would not put it beyond the Chargers/Spanos to try and make the team as glitzy as possible if they get LA. New Unis, New BIG NAME head Coach etc... A new start to try and win over some of the LA fans and the LA Business dollars.

ONLY the LA move would bring in someone like Payton in my guesstimate.

The big question I have been thinking over is this:
    With the Chargers doing the whole scorched earth approach in San Diego, blasting every bridge with tactical nukes, poisoning all the wells and alienating all fans... What do they do if the NFL does not award LA to them.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    I sure hope if we do move to LA, they make the powder blues the official home jersey, all white on the road.

[​IMG]

That would give me a full blown hard on.

10. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    If the team relocates to the perceived "big boy" market of Los Angeles, then a splash hiring like Payton would not shock me.

While the team remaining in San Diego would make me happy, I am concerned that the Spanoses would take an "it's my ball and I am going home" attitude and only make minimum expenditures.

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    As a San Diegan, I'll lobby hard to make sure that if the a-hole family steals my team and dumps
    it in a-hole Los Angeles, the history, the name and the uniforms stay in San Diego, Browns-style.

image002-800x272.jpg

p.s. Spanos ownership has always fought fans, against full-time powder blues...why would that change?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Maybe new market, want to make a splash, powder-blues are a classic, favorite among all football fans. Look what the Donkeys did, putting a similar twist on things. Bringing back the orange jerseys as their home, all white on the road, and all blue as the alternate. Chargers should follow suit, especially with the look I posted, think we could have the best uniforms in football.

13. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Who's the "we" you speak of? ;)

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    TMI ;) and don't hold your breath. The Spanos have resisted that at every turn...

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I feel like I'm nitpicking water under the bridge here but I don't think Marty was any more successful than Norv was with us.

I mean, everyone loves that 14-2 season but Norv had a 13-3 season with both seasons ending in a one-and-done.

Meanwhile, Norv made it further in the playoffs than Marty ever did.

Sure, Norv's tenure looked ugly after 2009 but we never provided Marty the opportunity to look good or bad after his best season like we did Norv. And I argue the depletion in talent had more to do with that dropoff than Norv did.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    And part of that was at least a little on Marty as well.

Marty was a coach much more dependent on his coordinators than Norv was - for better and worse; and that was pretty much the case with respect to both their careers, not just in San Diego. A strong argument could be made that the meat of what, from the coaching staff's end, contributed to Marty's 14-2 season was permitted to leave (some beyond the organization's control, some within control and still allowed to go) and the writing was on the wall. It was handled poorly - which is a recurring theme when it comes to the organizational structure of this club... and can certainly be traced back to ownership, ultimately. But despite AJ's chosen methodology, there was a visible string of logic if you're willing to look beyond the superficial argument of "he fired a 14-2 coach".

17. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yes, there was cause to fire that particular 14-2 coach..... but it was handled poorly, and done too late. Many of the best HC candidates were hired before Marty was let go, and as a result, the pool was shallow that Norv was hired from. Not only that, but Norv started behind, since most of the best assistants were already hired before he took the job. In the end, it all comes back to Dean Spanos. The guy simply doesn't know how to properly run a football organization.

In short..... Crap owner = Crap organization

18. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I can't wait until this ******* season is over. What a waste of time.

19. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Neither coach was very fast in terms of thinking on his feet during games. Norv couldn't manage a game clock to save his life. Marty was just not a good in game tactician.

It seemed to me like Marty was a better teacher of football and had better attention to detail than Norv did. The team seemed to get progressively sloppier and less disciplined as time went by with Norv. I don't have any specific stats to prove that, but that is definitely how it seemed.

Also, Norv was the worst play caller I have seen at any level of football ever in over 40 years of watching the game. I swear I could watch us play, see the offense line up and be correct on the play called about 90+% of the time. I could only imagine the ease that opposing coaches and defenses had with figuring out what we were doing on offense. They had to know just about every play before the snap, but because we had studs on offense, we had success anyway until the talent started to thin a bit.

20. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +108
    The Chargers need a huge personality as HC. Someone who can command the respect of the players and make them run through walls for him. It takes someone super special to overcome the organizational weakness of the Spanos family. Has to be a culture changer. Who is that guy and would Spanos ever hire him?

They probably won't fire McCoy until they know if they have LA. Bringing a Mike McCoy coached team to a new market is disaster and even Spanos has to be smart enough to see that.