1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hot off the presses - Foley-Mansker lawsuit settled for 5.5 mil

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Jul 2, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080702-1111-foley_mansker.html

SAN DIEGO – An undisclosed settlement was reached today in a lawsuit brought by former Chargers linebacker Steve Foley against the city of Coronado and an off-duty officer who shot him at the end of a DUI pursuit nearly two years ago.

The settlement came in the third week of testimony in the trial in which Foley was seeking millions of dollars for past and future lost earnings. Terms of the settlement brokered by retired Judge Larry Irving were not disclosed.

"It's a good thing that the parties resolved this. It's the right time,'' said Norm Watkins, attorney for the defendants. The dollar amount should become part of the public record when the city approves the settlement.

Before the settlement was announced by Superior Court Judge Richard Strauss, Foley seemed to stare angrily at the man who shot him, Coronado police Officer Aaron Mansker, who was in the courtroom.

Advertisement
    Foley's mother, Betty, was finally able to convince her son to go into chambers and talk to Strauss about the settlement.

Foley's lead attorney, Harvey Levine, told reporters that Foley was probably thinking about the totality of events that led to his crippling injury that happened about 3:30 a.m. on Sept. 3, 2006.

Foley – who left through a back door – was scheduled to testify as soon as today.

"He was looking forward to describing to the jury the facts of the evening,'' Levine told reporters.

Levine said Foley, who now lives in Houston, is planning on going back to college to complete his degree in sociology and continuing on as a full-time parent to his 11-year-old daughter.

Mansker testified last week that he fired twice at Foley at the end of a DUI pursuit in front of the athlete's home in Poway, when he was sure Foley was reaching into his waistband for a gun.

The officer, then a 23-year-old rookie, said he shot the former linebacker behind the left knee and hip when he got within 15 feet of him. Asked if he thought Foley, who was not carrying a weapon, might have been reaching for a cell phone, Mansker said no. But he conceded his plan to follow and try to get the football star to pull over was dangerous.

Mansker testified last week that he spotted Foley's car being driven erratically and swerving on northbound state Route 163 about 3:15 a.m. and began following it. He said he did not know the driver, who he suspected of being under the influence.

Mansker, in street clothes and driving his own vehicle, said he got close to Foley's sedan and flashed his headlights in an effort to get him to pull over on the freeway. Mansker said he did so, even though he told a dispatcher that he couldn't stop the vehicle because he was in his own car. Mansker followed Foley north on the freeway for 13 miles, and both vehicles exited on Pomerado Road.

Foley told Mansker's attorney in a deposition that he had no idea somebody was following him that night.

The officer said he pulled up next to Foley at Pomerado Road and Spring Canyon Road, rolled down the window, identified himself as a policeman without showing his badge, then yelled at Foley to pull to the curb. But Foley drove off.

Mansker said he decided to try to get Foley to pull over on Pomerado when he saw sparks coming from the area of a rear wheel on Foley's car. At another point, Mansker said Foley got out of his car and walked toward Mansker, who identified himself as a police officer and ordered Foley back to his car, which Foley said never happened, according to Mansker's attorney, Norm Watkins.

Foley had a blood-alcohol level of .21 percent or higher when he left downtown after a night of partying, Watkins said.

In the end, Levine said the two sides decided to take Irving's advice to settle the case and "put an end to this long and intense litigation.''

2. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    SettlementHot off the presses - Settlement suddenly reached in Foley-Mansker laws

Hmmmm, what's the over under on number of millions? $10? $15? Tough call, I don't know where to start.

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    SettlementHot off the presses - Settlement suddenly reached in Foley-Mansker laws

Probably a good chunk of change headed his way, Foley had at least another 5 years of football in him when he got shot.

4. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028

I wonder why they bothered to make the settlement confidential? City expenditures are going to eventually wind up as public information regardless.... :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Hot off the presses - Settlement suddenly reached in Foley-Mansker lawsuit

my vBookie cash would be on the over 18mil

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

$25 million I bet

Every single TV station in San DIego has their van planted in front of the hall of justice here

7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554

I would say that for Foley to settle it would have to be around 10-15 mil.

8. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59

FROM THE ARTICLE:
    The dollar amount should become part of the public record when the city approves the settlement.

It's not going to be confidential, read the article. Once official and signed and the city will make the settlement public record.

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264

It's just sad it had to end this way for Foley. Dude was a beast, and cool guy as far as what Ive seen interviews of him. I'll miss the bull dance and his hard nosed play. He was part of the turnaround we had here esp. for the defense. I just wish he hadn't have been DUIing and that stupid Mansker wouldn't have been "Deputy Do Right" and let real uniformed police officers deal with Foley. Both were at fault. I wish the best for Foley and hopefully he got a nice chunk of cash. As for Mansker, I really don't care for the dude. Foley was wrong for being DUI, but Mansker was wrong for trying to resolve the matter himself in plain clothes and an unmarked car.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886

According to B4L...

Steve Foley = OJ Simpson

(minus the two severed heads, of course):lol:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

What I stated is that both have enough money to keep themselves out of jail. Though if Foley were convicted of murder, he might not be able to get himself out because he doesn't have OJ money or the celebrity status of OJ.

On the other hand... if you or I had a long history of domestic violence, assault, battery, and DUI's we'd probably be doing some time.

It's ALL about the money!!!

12. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494

What?

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748

Please don't quote him so I don't have to see his nonsense.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

What part of it don't you understand?

15. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
  16. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

I just wonder if Foley put a demand to fire Mansker as part of the settlement. I would. Dude should be criminally tried as well.

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Don't tell people how or what to post. We live in a free country!!! :flag:
    If you don't like it, don't look at it!!!

18. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467

What kept Foley out of jail was Mansker and his actions. Not to mention, it's the reason Foley just got a big settlement.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Remember, he also had charges in the past for domestic violence. As well as assault and battery.

20. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018

Damnit... who called B4L and told him there was another Foley thread to flame? :icon_evil: :icon_tease:

21. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494

Past charges = unrelated in dui cases

22. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494

Past driving offenses count, not domestic violence charges

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

What kept in out before his most recent DUI?

24. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

I don't know, but it doesn't make posting fun when people go on and on and on and on about the same crap all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467

DUI?

26. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018

in out?

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I'm sure probation plays a part in this.
    Not to mention, when it's mentioned in court that you are a repeat offender, bad things will happen.

Why is it tough to understand that if you or I had his history, we'd probably have to do time?
    I don't have hundreds of thousands to pay a lawyer. Do you?

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

him

29. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467

confused.