1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How bad was the Bolts' D on 3rd down?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 12, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    How bad was Chargers' D on third down?
    May, 11, 2012
    By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com

In a lengthy interview earlier this offseason, San Diego general manager A.J. Smith repeatedly pointed to his team’s horrendous third-down defense as the root problem in a playoff-less season.

Fixing that issue was Smith’s primary goal for 2012.

The Chargers were last in the NFL on third-down defense last season. If you can’t get your defense off the field, it’s difficult to win. The most pressing task for new defensive coordinator John Pagano is fixing the problem and Smith’s moves on defense this offseason were made with third-down success in mind.

Just how bad was the Chargers’ defense on third down in 2011? I enlisted the help of stat guru Jason Vida of ESPN Stats & Information. His findings were fascinating.

San Diego’s defense was historically bad on third down last season.

According to Vida, the Chargers allowed opponents to convert 49.2 percent of third downs in 2011. It was the highest total of any NFL team since the 1995 Cleveland Browns.

It was San Diego’s worst third-down percentage since 1975 when it allowed opponents to convert 50.7 percent on third downs.

The 2011 Chargers were especially bad on third-and-short situations. On third downs where opponents needed 1-5 yards to convert, opponents converted 65.6 percent of the time, which was the worst mark in the league. From six yards and beyond, opponents converted 34.7 percent of the time on third down, which was 29th in the NFL.

Many thanks to Vida for his help on this post.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yup. Manusky = :poop:

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Oh...so this one isn't Norv's fault? You're slipping Matti.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Just one of the 3 men who deserved to be fired.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    [​IMG]

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555

You don't like it then quit bringing it up.

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    I didn't bring it up. I pointed out that, for once, you didn't call for Norv's head over something. Once I did that you went back to your old tune. Same old broken record. Like I said, you're slipping.

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Actually I still haven't said the "N" word :D on this thread. Sounds to me like you fabricated this broken record.

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Really? And saying Manusky was
    wasn't alluding to Norv in ANY way? Not buying it Matti, you ain't that sharp. :D

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    He clearly meant Manusky, AJ, and section 134 peanut vendor.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Dude, you brought up Norv first. I wasnt even going to mention him on this thread, so it sounds to me like you're spinning your own broken records. And what I'm not even allowed to illude to the concept of coaches being anymore without getting chidded?

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    At least, you didn't mention Norv in the cheerleader thread. ;)

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Small steps. :tup:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    One of the cases where the numbers were pointless, we knew they were atrocious already on 3rd down. Hopefully johnson, ingram will help matters

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Reyes and Taylor may help as well, if were lucky.

16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Totaly off topic and didn't want to start a new thread but I read this today which had me shaking my head

The Contra Costa Times expects the Raiders to give MLB Rolando McClain "one more year."
    McClain is facing 180 days in jail after being found guilty of assault this week, and has been somewhat of a disappointment since being the No. 8 pick of the 2010 Draft. He'll make just $970,000 in 2012 before his salary jumps to $4.005 million in 2013. As long as he's with the team and not in the pen, we fully expect McClain to be the Raiders' starting middle linebacker this season.

I hope they're talking about disappointment in his maturity because production wise, his 99 tackles, 5 sacks and 14 pass deflections were better than anyone on our team, I don't know what else you want a middle linebacker to do