1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How close are we?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Jan 17, 2007.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Now I agree with that whole philosophy about “the best teams win even when we’re not playing good”. The Seattle game was a good example but last Sunday, we played horrible. Too many careless errors!!!

As good as Rivers is, he did struggle for the last 4-5 weeks. That did raise a concern with me but since we continued to win, I dismissed that concern.
    I think he did great for his first year as starter but it was is first year. Enough said!

A better receiving core would help Rivers too.
    Jackson and Parker (despite his performance on Sunday) are solid and I don’t believe will get much more than that! Floyd could get better if he can stay healthy. McCardell plays great for an old man.
    BOTTOM LINE... NONE OF THESE GUYS ARE A LEGITIMATE #1!!!
    I remember an era when we had all these supposedly young and promising WRs that were suppose to develop and never did (Jones, Still, etc.). I don’t want to see a rerun of that!!!
    I think that with a “go to guy”... the performance of Jackson, Floyd and Parker will pick up A LOT as #2s and 3s.

Marty is back despite of how we feel. I was hoping (and so were many posters in here) that we’d get a Super Bowl title, Marty would retire and Cam would take over.
    Now that Marty truly is down to his last straw... IT IS NOW OR NEVER!!!

ANYWAY... I hope that last Sunday was a constructive *** kicking for the players, coaches and organization!!!!

Just my thinking (and hoping).

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    We're a good head coach away.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If Marty was to go... so would Cam, Wade and everybody else.

You know that. Right?

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The Jets game I would blame Marty for. It seemed like the whole point was to win 7-0.
    Though you have to give credit to the Jets defense.

This game, the players blew it!!!!

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    What, you think they're connected at the hip or something?

1st time these guys ever worked together was HERE in SD. They're not a traveling band of gypsies jumping from team to team together selling their trinkets.

:icon_wtf:

6. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I really don't believe you can win with Marty as your HC. The monkey on his back gets larger by the year.

You need to keep L.T. healthy.

Rivers needs to take all that he learned last week + all the frustration and use it as motivation for the off season. He needs to come into camp ready to lead the team.

Someone needs to tighten up the team and get them to play a more heads up brand of ball. I don't think Marty is the person to do that. You'll need to be businesslike and calculating from the first game of the season.

You'll make the playoffs next year, I'm sure of that. It's then that the team will need to pull it together and play with reckless abandon rather than buying in to all the hype. One game at a time.

7. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Yah, who woulda thought that Marty's playcalling would ever work? Afterall Andy Reid did the same thing against the Giants this year in the playoffs. Run Run Run... Kick game winning fieldgoal. God forbid this strategy ever work!

Stop the Marty hating. The players execute in that game, and there's no reason they don't win that Jets game. Why would it ever be wrong to hand it off to LT?

8. bolt fan so cal

bolt fan so cal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly. Good points also. That year we also had Fonoti on the last drive who was getting pushed back if you can believe it as well as Oben. There was no room for LT to run. (jets playoff)

9. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    only "mistake" in that game was three runs up the gut to set up a 40+ yarder when we were marching down their fuqn throats.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    we are very very very close

11. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    worry about your own team, luck will only take you so far.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    With Marty as coach, we'll see all kinds of "look at the great season" threads next year too.

• Like Like x 2
  13. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66

When they first hired Marty I felt betrayed, like they were letting one of the enemy come in and take over...I came real close to getting past that this year, but I never really felt good about the guy, now I am right back to where I was when he was hired and I've got a whole new offseason to anticipate what wonders another year with Marty at the helm will bring.:icon_sad:

the really bad thing about all of this is that my first name is Marty too, so in some twisted way I feel like I'm partially to blame for this garbage:icon_eek: :lol:

14. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    A 40 yarder isn't that much to ask really. It's long but Nate has made them before. Oh wait I forgot, It's forbiden to ask Nate to pitch in unless it's 76 degrees outside, there is just the right amount of humidity in the air, the long snapper get's a BJ before the game so he can get the snap just right, the wind isn't blowing any more than 2 mph cause god forbid that a 3 mph gust of wind pulls the ball wide, we have 3 time outs left to (to make sure we get a second chance in case of a bad snap) and the ball IS ON THE FACKING 10 YARD LINE!!!!!

let me ask you this. if the game comes down to one last play and we have to score a touchdown and somehow Vincent Jackson gets open in the endzone and drops a 50 yard throw would anyone make excuses for the guy? Would we get the "well it shouldn't have come down to that last play to begin with" story we always get with Nate?

It has come to that for many playoff teams that have won because of their kickers efforts and not once has any team ever forfeited their win to the opposing team because the game shoudln't of come down to the kicker. Real playoff teams win when the opportunity shows itself.

with that said we are a Parker Fumble, a McCree Fumble and a very stupid Florence Personal Foul away from being a good playoff team.

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
  16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The chargers team now could probably get to and win alot of super bowls. But evidently the chargers could still use a bit more to win it all.

The patriots lucked out. There is no other way to say it. The chargers were beating the craap out of them all day and then a few lucky breaks swung the game to the patriots.

So that this doesn't happen again. It wouldn't hurt to still make the team stronger.

The chargers pass defense is still lacking. Still need to improve the pass rush and the d-backfield situation. And some of this is coaching.

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The show is on !!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Kickers are paid to make kicks. WR's are paid to catch the damn ball. If you didnt perform at your job, what your expected, what happens? It should of never came down to that kick, but the truth is, it did and he missed his shot. His leg strength isnt all well. But at the same time, you know you have to go in and make these key kicks when called upon. Our team did kick the **** out of the pats, but obviously not enough. 9 carries in the second half by the MVP was not nearly enough. I wouldnt blame our defense because if you take away the 2 turnovers and the PF, they only gave up 10 points. The PF led to 3, the punt muff led to 3 and the fumble led to 8. Thats pretty good when your playing Tom Lady's team. Our defense played perfect through 3 quarters. They gave the offense a chance to blow this game open. The chargers started their first 4 posessions at or near the 40-50 yard line. We didnt execute well and only came away with 7 points? Thats a big no no when your in the playoffs. This game very easily could of been out of reach by halftime or yet the 3rd quarter. But our offense sputtered by a letting a mediocure defense manhandle them, confuse them, better yet hold them when they needed to. LT could of had atleast a 150 yard day, but Cam somehow decided to put the ball in Rivers hands after the 3rd quarter. We have 2 very good running backs, 2 different types of runners. A bruiser and a lightning fast cutback killer. It worked for the Saints that day. It threw the defense off big time. If the plan was to load up on LT, we should of gave them a big burst of Turner. He did well when he was in the game. They couldnt tackle him. But again, Cam found away to go away from our game plan. Maybe he was thinking too much of Miami in a different way.

• Like Like x 1
  19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    How close are we?

If nothing changed personnel-wise, this team could come back next season and still win the AFC West and be a top 3 seed in the playoffs.

That's pretty friggin' close. What's needed is for the players to take a look in the mirror, buckle down, be true professionals, and understand that it takes more than potential to win a Championship. It takes every guy doing his job with 100% focus.

Had that happened last Sunday, we would not be discussing this right now.

This embarrassing loss will go a long way toward achieving the ultimate goal. Whether Marty is at the helm when that happens is anyone's guess.

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Lets face it the chargers have never had such a good team. Right now its probably the best player personal team in the league. Its young. Its learning. I'd guess they learned plenty from this year. They're going to be better next year just because of that. Now if A.j. can just upgrade 3 or 4 positions the chargers should be so good even bad luck should not keep it from winning it all.

21. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Dont mean to look too far ahead, but 2008 schedule has us playing NE at home and NO in LA and also the Jets at home. Jax, Tenn, GB, Minn should be winnable games. NE is going to be a challenge again. But I dont see NE having a chance especially if we play them early. They always seem to play like crap early in the season. I dont think we should get too ahead of ourselves here but damn looks good for another playoff run season.

22. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I wonder if we are positioned for the perfect season?

Not meaning to jinx us, but just maybe........