1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

How confident are you that the Chargers will beat the Pats?

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by BeerGuy, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    100 percent.

I don't have to explain my reasoning to some jackass fan from another team.

2. LoMoFoShO

LoMoFoShO BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    The national media does not reflect the views of the Patriots, nor their fans. The Chargers are here for a reason, and we've all seen this act from the Colts in the playoffs in the past... punch them in the mouth and they turtle... I wasn't the least bit surprised by the outcome yesterday... well, until Rivers and L-T went out... I was shocked that the Chargers won it at that point.

But I can guarentee you the Patriots team is not going around thinking the Chargers have no chance.

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I for one don't think Belicheck will ever be satisfied. With anything. I have this crazy idea that he gave his soul to the devil for a championship caliber team, and he's squeezing it for all it's worth. In this crazy idea of mine, he knows he's going to hell so he's going to get the most he can out of the deal. I don't exactly believe that of course, but his style seems to fit that model.

I can't like the Patriots after they went and insulted our players on our field, provoked or not. They stooped to the level of behavior that made them angry in the first place, which can't be denied. Then they try to act as though they are taking the high road this year by implying they are over it.

4. Grogan's neck roll

Grogan's neck roll Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    The Patriots players insulted Charger players by doing a dance that a Charger player does after a sack. But HIM doing it is not disrespectful? :icon_huh:

5. LoMoFoShO

LoMoFoShO BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I feel the exact same way about your team... they call out my team for being classless, then go out this year and display the same behavior towards other teams. L-T talks about being classy, then shows up his quarterback on the sidlelines. They talk that they are taking the high road, but really are acting exactly the same way. Which, by the way, I have NO problem with... you won, act the way you want. Just don't all of a sudden cry about it and become the guardian at gate for who and what is and isn't classy when the tables are turned.

6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Of course they aren't. They're "humble". They said so themselves:yes:

7. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    The Russians were an unstoppable force
    <object height="355" width="425">

</param"></object><object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QTev5pSuYLk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QTev5pSuYLk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The A's were the most dominant team in the bigs
    <object height="355" width="425">

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6AxCEmuMTXo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6AxCEmuMTXo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object></param"></object>

I look to these moments much in the way Pats fans probably looked to them when they were the overwhelming underdogs.

8. LoMoFoShO

LoMoFoShO BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Just like your running back, eh ? He's "classy". He said so himself. :yes:

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    How about Hobbs, "The Sorriest Corner in the League?" :lol:

10. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    Find a post where I said it wasn't. Anyhow, maybe karma hit everyone last year, eh? We lost after guaranteeing victory, you lost after mocking a team that barely beat themselves.

11. LoMoFoShO

LoMoFoShO BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    How could someone as classy as Rivers said such a thing ? :icon_huh:

12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Can the Chargers win? Absolutely. Will they? I don't know. Making predictions is like sex---it's something everyone thinks they do well when in reality they're just as bad at it as everyone else.

I think for the Bolts to win these things have to happen:

1- Philip Rivers must be healthy enough to be effective. I think our offense can move the ball with Turner if LT has to sit. I do NOT think our offense can move the ball with Volek.

2- Antonio Gates must be moving around better than he was yesterday. You have some big, slow linebackers and Gates is the man who can have success against them. He has to be fast enough to force you guys to bring a safety down to help out in coverage against him, because that will open up things for Jackson and Chambers.

3- We have to hold you to field goals or no points in the red-zone at least half the time you get down there. To me, the Patriots are somewhat like the Colts on offense in the sense that you need to acknowledge that they're going to move the football and pile up yards. You can't play a defensive style with the idea of shutting them down. You have to play more of a bend-but-don't-break philosophy, tackle very well, and force them to execute in order to score.

4- We have to execute #3 while scoring 31 or more points on offense.

If we do those things we have a chance.

Now, what makes me think the Chargers can do this? A few things.

First, the Patriots, while very stout on defense, have been vulnerable to big pass plays down the field. The first time we played you guys Rivers was still looking awkward in this offense, we weren't pass-protecting well, we had no Chris Chambers to threaten anyone, and Vincent Jackson was playing like it was too big for him. We've seen in the last 2 games that Rivers is starting to be able to get the ball to his wide-receivers more consistently down the field. He has a comfort-zone with Chambers now, and Jackson is playing like he finally gets it. *IF* we can get the ball down the field to those guys it will open things up for Gates and eventually the running game, and then the sky's the limit for what this offense can do.

Remember, the Colts came in as the #1 scoring defense in the NFL, and they couldn't force the Chargers to punt until the fourth-quarter. We were moving the ball through the air against them at will. Rivers was making perfect throws, the offensive line was blocking well, and that was the difference in the game.

Also remember that with any kind of balance in refereeing, and if the Chargers hadn't shot themselves in the foot on a couple drives, it's very possible we would have put up 38 or more points in that game. If anyone thinks the Chargers aren't capable of hanging 30+ on the Patriots they need to think again.

The other reason I think it's not a Pollyanna fantasy that the Chargers can win is the we're not exactly the Tennessee Titans making an unlikely postseason surge. We went 14-2 last year, our whole team is more playoff savvy now, and we have a ton of talented players and great depth. So the Patriots aren't getting some under-talented team playing way over their heads in the AFC Championship. They're getting a team that actually is just playing up to their capabilities, finally.

The big X-factors in New England's favor are the post-season experience and Tom Brady. I don't anticipate being able to get Brady flustered. I don't anticipate him giving us gifts. I do anticipate the Patriots making some big plays and scores in the game. The key is that Chargers cannot flinch and must answer.

It will also help if the officiating is balanced. That has nothing to do with the Patriots but the NFL has shown a propensity to favor bigger-market teams or teams they think will give them bigger ratings in big games. I don't like that crap and I really hope it doesn't happen. I can handle it when a grey-area call goes against it. Hell, I could even live with it if the Pats are getting the benefit of the doubt when there's doubt. But for God's sake, don't MAKE UP penalties where there were none in order to kill a team's momentum.

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Maybe the fact that Hobbs was pretending to piss on the Chargers logo at the time had something to do with it.

14. LoMoFoShO

LoMoFoShO BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Solid post Thuderstruck... hard to disagree with any of that.

15. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

It's not a pollyanna fantasy. Compare our numbers to theirs over these last eight weeks, and you can see why. The only people that think it's a pollyanna fantasy are Patriot "fans" and their lovers in the media.

16. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    i wouldnt call it confidence, but i have faith that our team can do the unthinkable, cause again we will be HUGE underdogs:tup:

17. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    One other thing I forgot to mention that I think goes in the Bolts' favor:

NO ONE thinks the Chargers can win. The Patriots are the team of destiny. We've won two games, one of them being a gritty, impressive road win against the Superbowl champs. We got our playoff monkey off our backs, Norv Turner is getting at least a little credit, AJ Smith is looking pretty smart right now, and a loss to the Patriots won't change that this has been a successful season for San Diego--especially since NO ONE thinks we can beat the Patriots. So, while people in San Diego will be bummed if the Bolts lose, the fact is they've already accomplished all the things they absolutely HAD to accomplish this season to take the pressure off the organization.

So... now pretty much ALL the pressure is on the Patriots. They have to live up to all these huge expectations that other people are setting for them. They're kind of in a no-win situation. Win, and you were supposed to win. Lose, and wow, possibly the biggest let-down in football history since Namath beat the Colts.

The Chargers have only the pressure to play well in this game. The Patriots have all the other pressures that come with being labeled the Team of Destiny and the Best Team Ever before actually completing the task. Tom Brady won't feel that pressure. He never does. But what about all the other players on that roster who haven't actually won anything yet? The Patriots have won three superbowls this decade. But Randy Moss hasn't. Neither has Wes Welker. Ditto Lawrence Maroney, and Junior Seau, and Adalius Thomas, and a LOT of the other players on that roster. Is it really a given that the Patriots will play mistake-free football showing nothing but that legendary poise in this game?

I really do believe that benefits the Chargers.

18. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    He is:icon_shrug:

And last time I checked, he hadn't fathered any bastards either:yes:

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    I said it in the gameday thread before it was clear we would win (in fact I believe we were down by 3 at the time) and I'll say it again.

'No matter what happens now I am so proud of my team'.

After all my team pulled out the Win against the Colts, the NFL and their crooked officials. Almost nobody gave us a shot, many were downright scurrilous in their remarks demeaning the Charger players and their coaches. And yet we won.

Anything more from now on in is a Bonus as far as I am concerned. :icon_toast:

In the cold light of day I would rate our chances no better than 40:60 but hey that's just my opinion.

20. LoMoFoShO

LoMoFoShO BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Sure, the first sign of a classy person is when they tell you they're classy.

Whining about the other team celebrating when your own team does the same thing... pure class.

Showing up your quarterback on the sidelines... the epitome of class.

21. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Why do you care? Are we comparing which teams players are more classy? :icon_shrug: This means nothing for the upcoming game.

Jezuz you guys are sounding like Jason Taylor more all the time. :unsure:

22. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Haven't you guys gotten tired of this yet? We pretty much feel the same way about this BS as you feel about fans calling you cheaters. You need to let it go because A: it doesn't exactly make anyone here respect anything you say and B: it will have no bearing on Sunday's game.

And besides, it just makes all Patriots fans look sensitive. One would think that with all you guys have accomplished, the heated comments of a player who just lost the biggest game of his career wouldn't effect your ability to sleep at night.

• Like Like x 1
  23. neuronet

neuronet BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say in 10 games against the Pats, the Pats would win 7. So I give the Chargers a 30% chance of winning this game.

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,773
    I can't guarantee a CHARGER win and I can't just say the Pats will win. I do think it will be one of the better played games of the year and will come down to who has the ball last. No blowout here but a tough hard fought game going back and forth, Turn overs will be big and be one of the deciding factors. If we get more TO's than the PATS the game will be more evened out.

There is no way we can just let them move at will as they did in the first game. If that happens it will be a long afternoon. My head says the Pats, my heart tell me the Bolts.:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    One million boltbucks worth of confidence.

SD is playing good, playing loose, and playing to win. All the pressure is on the Pats. Don't choke on it.

26. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Im not going to put a percentage cause thats most likely to be wrong. It comes down to the play calling and defense. Oh and if LT would let Turner, and Sproles to have some glory themselves. I think we are motivated with Revenge. YOu took us out when we were 14/2. Your team is not impossible to beat. We all have weaknesses but it comes down to who wants it more. And whos going to work harder for it. This is not going to be handed over to anybody ( Well unless the refs wanna get involved , then just forget this game.) We need are secondary to step up and Florence needs to stay on his man. No cheaphits or calls. Rivers i hafta say deserves alot more respect from these talking heads on tv and board talkers. He played well, we need him to play like that again and he can. We play loose and relaxed and we can make History fall and be created.

GO BOLTS GO!

27. NWFriar

NWFriar BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    "With brady at QB and moss,welker,stallworth,Gaffney and watson as his receivers.it's impossible for the pats not to play well."

Sounds like smack talk to me:icon_shrug: But what would I know? This NE fan sounds full of himself just like their quarterback, Kyle Brady.
    Make no mistake, I respect the accomplishments of the Patriots this year, even if the coaching staff was caught, "red-handed", cheating. Hopefully their Super Bowl win won't have an *asterisk* by it. :lol: I like the fact that the Patriots have former Chargers, such as Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison. I'll aways pull for them, anyways.
    The arrogance of NE fans just kills me:tdown: When someone sounds this sure of the result, it makes me think that they are afraid of what the reality might be, in the end.

28. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288
    How confident am I? I'm a Charger Fan and your asking this question at a Charger forum:icon_shrug:

Go away dork and tell your wife to drop my kids off this weekend :yes:

29. ColdBlooded

ColdBlooded BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I have seen the Prophecy!

Norv will hoist the Lombardi!

30. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,631
    I have 100% confidence in my team.

Can the Pats win? No. They have no shot. None whatsoever. They shouldn't even show up. Just ship the Lombardi Trophy to Chargers HQ now and save us the cross country trip since there really no point in playing the game.

• Like Like x 1