1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

How confident are you that the Chargers will beat the Pats?

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by BeerGuy, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Fighterdelafoo

Fighterdelafoo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    EXACTLY!! How great would it be (and how pissed would the NFL be) if it was a Chargers/Giants superbow?!

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,365
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ride the Lightning again."

3. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Dumping your pregnant girlfriend?:icon_shrug:

4. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288

How about keeping your girlfriend on the side without letting your wife know:icon_shrug:

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Practice, practice, practice.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Pats fans are idiot wanta bes. Their lives suuck so they depend upon hanging onto the pats cause they've won so far. When the chargers beat the pats this weekend these same pats fans will leap onto the chargers bandwagon.:yes:

7. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Another potential motivating factor...

I wonder how much a 200+ yard performance in the AFCCG would effect Michael Turners checking account in the offseason?

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +491
    Confident that they can win? yes, but I wouldn't bet even money on them so I'll say it's less than 50%.

That said, some of the Chargers players have done things to alienate fans of other teams, they've been cocky and overly celebratory at times, I don't really mind it, it football, it's a game played by men, it's supposed to be fun.

I don't mind when Merriman does his sack dance but I hate seeing someone like, say, Jared Allen do the same thing, I think that's the whole point :icon_shrug: I don't hate it because it's not classy, I hate it because he did it to us.

9. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    You know, after giving the purpose of this thread some thought, I came to a conclusion about it. Why do you care if we have confidence in our team? I know that you have absolutely no reason to believe the Patriots can lose, and you have nothing to get pumped up over. There haven't been any Chargers players bad mouthing your team, most of our fans will submit that you have an excellent team. Are you looking for people to say what they were last year? That this would be hands down a Chargers victory? It's rare for team to have almost no doubters, and Patriots fans are usually exceptional at finding them. That coupled with the near simultaneous joining of Patriots fans on the same day lead me to believe that there is a link to this thread and others on some Patriots site somewhere. Come on guys, going after LT for saying he was classy? That's like me going to some Pats forum and telling you I don't buy Tom Brady's nice guy act for one second. Go find somebody else to give you a rise. The forum at Chargers.com will give you something to be pissed about, I'm sure.

10. Grogan's neck roll

Grogan's neck roll Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    You can't blame Brady for that one, he didn't want kids, he told her that, she pulled the goalie, he broke up with her, then she tells him she's pregnant.

He didn't know she was pregnant when he broke up with her. Do you think that kid isn't going to be taken care of?

11. Fouts is God

Fouts is God Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Well, call me crazy but that's exactly what I'm doing. Not a massive bet, but I'm betting my boss that the Chargers will beat NE and I'm not asking for any points.

After what the Chargers did yesterday, I have faith that this upcoming game against the Patriots will not be a blow out and that if the game is close in the fourth the Chargers will find a way to be victorious.

(I must still be on an emotional high after that win yesterday). :abq2:

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

First let me just say ..are you seriously putting Gaffney in that group of him being a playmaker?

Gaffney is ok, but dude was cut by the Texans and by you guys before bringing him back. Gaffney scares no one!

I will also ad that those guys can all have good games and it doesnt mean you will win. We can get sacks, force fumbles and get INT's too.

We can also dice up their defense. It isnt invincible by no means.

13. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Sorry, I meant the realistic people with something to offer other than silly insults and a picture of a hot chick in the signature line.

I think it's 55/45 for the Patriots.

I think it will come down to the calmness and precision of Brady. He's as adept as any other quarterback at reading the blitz, evading the rush in the pocket and quickly delivering the ball to Welker across the middle. If the Chargers are committed to throwing personel at Brady all day Welker should have a wealth of opportunities to exploit the defense. He needs to continue to amass substantial YAC #'s.

I have to hope for a strong running performance by the Maroney/Faulk tandem with a ton of screens thrown in to counter the blitz. That should open up the deep threat as well.

Finally, our coaching is better, and I'm confident they'll prepare the team for any and all probabilities. They'll also identify shortcomings better in the first half and provide practical adjustments that will mean the difference in the fourth quarter.

I've also always respected Belichick's ability to prepare players to assume roles counter to their traditional specialties. Look at Vrabel, 10 career receptions, 10 career touchdowns. Bringing Seau in during goal line situations is always fun to watch. He doesn't limit players, he makes them multi-functional so they can assume additional roles if injuries to key people make it necessary.

14. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    That's a bit weak.....there's the Red Sox World Series........there's the resurgent Celtics.....the Bruins still suck because our owner is a bean counter, not a sports fan......our soccer team can't win in the championship no matter what.....

I'd say we're doing just fine, though. I was out in SD for the Sox/Padres series and we held our own.:tup:

15. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Did I cut a little too close to the vain? No Patriots fans have anything to say about my last post? I'm not even trying to insult you or "disrespect" you. I could probably find a couple articles written by north east columnists that are based on attacking our players' confidence. How dare the professional athletes of San Diego say that they feel good about playing the almighty Patriots, right? Shouldn't our team just be quiet because they stand no chance? How dare we talk about getting prepared, seriously.

16. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Sorry you feel left out....I'll be glad to respond since I started this thread.

I asked the question to get a feel for where all of your heads were at. I was hoping for some well thought out answer and I got them, more so, even, than the usual childish ones. That's great, it's all that I was looking for.

I don't think the Patriots are unbeatable, but I give them the slight edge this week. The Pat's season was saved in Baltimore by the absolute implosion of that organization, from coaches to players. That being said, a W is a W and I'll take it.

I promise, there was no ulterior motive, just gauging which way the wind was blowing in San Diego.

I would imagine any team would salivate at the chance to beat the Patriots. If your team needs more than the opportunity to send "The Greatest Offense in the History of History"(the medias characterization, not mine) packing for the season to motivate them, then you're in trouble. I'd hope they were more intent on shutting the idiot media up than settling any "score" from last year.

After all is said and done, though, I've always found internal motivation much stronger than that derived externally.

17. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Why can't I blame him, it's his child:icon_shrug:

Maybe Tom shoulda been a little more pro-active in the whole birth control department if he didn't want kids...:tdown:

18. Grogan's neck roll

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll respond to this post, I didn't start this thread, and I have only posted twice in it, once to defend the Pats' actions after last year's playoff game and once to defend Brady for having his girlfriend pull the goalie on him. I'm interested to hear what Chargers fans are thinking with regard to their confidence. I'm fairly confident in the Pats, but I'm a worrier, and always leave out the possibility of them getting beat. I had a tough time enjoying Saturday's game against Jax, it was somewhat nerve wracking for me, as I am a worrier by nature. But I did have confidence going in, as I do this week.

19. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    I'm betting there's plenty of blame to go around on this topic, on either team.

Pro athletes, in general, seem to accumulate kids like they do statistics.

These days I'm surprised to find a happily married family man in a professional uniform.

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I rate this game a toss up, depending on the physical status of Rivers, LT and some others.

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    How confident will the pats be after the chargers beat them this sunday. Pats deserve to loose. NO one but a fruitcake homer pats fan likes the pats team. And you know it. You'll be a chargers fan two minutes after the game is over like so many other closet hangers on of the pats after the chargers beat the pats this sunday.

22. Grogan's neck roll

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent post, very well thought out! I've been a Pats fan since 1974, wins, losses, embarrassments (and we've had our share). It's why I appreciate this team so much. I would be very disappointed if the Pats lost to the Chargers, but I'm not going anywhere, and neither is Brady, and neither is Belichick. If the Chargers beat the Pats, I'll tip my hat, then move on to my 29-4 Celtics, then after that, move on to my World Series Defending Champ Red Sox. I'll be fine, don't worry about me.

23. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

I hate to break the news to you but noone on a CHARGER forum gives a flyin FLOCK what you think. :tup:

Blilcheat prepares his players REAL well, I bet there is hours upon hours of "film" study :icon_rofl:

24. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I have no problem admitting that I don't think the Chargers are going to shock the world and pull off the win. But they are going to play their most physical football game of the year. So if Welker's gonna make his living over the middle, he's also gonna risk his life. Moss is going to be hammered at the LOS. No one is getting a clean release.

Inside the trenches it's gonna be all out war.

The Chargers are going to take the approach that Baltimore did. If they lose on penalties I think they'll live with that. But they are most definitely not going out like they did in week 2.

25. Grogan's neck roll

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with this post, after that game they won yesterday, I expect the Chargers to empty the bucket against the Pats.

26. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714

Great F-ing Take!:abq2:

27. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Good luck against ANY team in the west :lol:

still have that penis envy over NY :icon_shrug:

28. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200

What do you think of the nfl allowing the pats o-line to hold almost every play. And the refs just look the other way. Do you accept that.

29. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    Again, the only substance in your post is that chick's thong.

Typical Philly.

30. Grogan's neck roll

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you EVER talk football? Seems to me all you can do is talk smack, which is fine, I just want to understand if there is any football in that brain, or do you spend your focus on that picture in your sig as you whack it?