1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you guys feel about AJ Smith? (BTW, nice board you guys have these days)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by titanfan24, Oct 11, 2010.

1. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    Long time no see my friends.

I hope all is well and I like the new setup.

Wanted to come by and gauge the feelings that you guys have for AJ Smith these days?

I have always looked at him from 2,000 miles away with some skepticism. The guy is a great talent evaluator, but he seems to suck like Sasha Grey in people skills and getting into tiffs with key people.

I know how you guys roll and know that you all will probably get it together and make a run at the end, but it looks like his stubbornness with VJ and McNeill may cost you guys a title.

Just wanted to gauge you guys thoughts.

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Personally I am fine with him. Execution comes down to the coaching staff. Yes we've had our issues with holdouts and primadonas, as well as holdouts but I for one am in no hurry for a new gm.

3. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    And good seeing you tf, been a while. Congrats on your win yesterday big win.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    McNeill got his deal.

SUCK IT AJ HATERS :lol:

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Thats now how I feel about your mother.....Shut up! Butthead!!

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Great to see you again titansfan

Aj is a great draft man, great at evaluating talent and making deals. Really don't like how he had such a huge hand in hiring norv and I question how it's gone since then

7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I think hes a piece of **** who will ruin this team before being fired, much like bethard. AJ is living off making one great pick (rivers), and has done nothing the past 3 years to improve this team except hiring norv. Every other move he has made has been horrible, not to mention his horrible people and negotiation skills.

The sooner we rid ourselves of this guy, the sooner we get back on track as a potential super bowl team

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    titanfan, some of us disagree about AJ but as for myself, I really like and appreciate what he has done for this organization for the most part. He's a hard nosed, don't take any BS type (as you all know) but I do believe he's fair. He will reward the players that produce and stay out of trouble on and off the field. (Rivers, McNeil) He has had some real stellar drafts too and one of the NFLs best talent evaluators (except when he didn't draft Polamalu) He's hardnosed and can come across as a jerk sometimes but since he's taken over as GM this team has become a force in this league making the Chargers a playoff regular the last 5 years. Is he perfect? Heck no. But I'd rather have him making the tough personnel decisions rather then a Dan Snyder type overpaying high-priced FA's. I myself am a big AJ fan. Can't speak for others though.

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    AJ has his faults no doubt about it e.g. bit too stubborn for my liking but one thing you cannot knock him for is his consistency. He does not bend, he is a black or white guy, you know where you stand with him, take it or leave it.

I like the way he seems to have an answer/replacement for a cut player almost immediately. It is clear he knows what is out there at all times and knows the qualities of 100s of players.

Overall I'm content with AJ.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    DRINK AJ'S PISS AND BE FREE !!!!!!!!!!!!

AJ'S PISS CURES CANCER

[​IMG]

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

A.J. SMITH IS GOD

12. Bolt-tastic voyage

Bolt-tastic voyage BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I really don't see how everyone is like "Bravo AJ" for giving Mcneil a long term deal. In my opinion this just makes him look stupid. If his plan was to sign Mcneil all along which we all knew it was why wouldn't he just do it on the same time frame he did with other soon to be free agents like Gates & Rivers and do it the year before. It seems to me all he has done is lost us 5 games of production by Mcneil. The end result is all the same. I get that he wants team players and character guys so it makes sense to take a hard ball stance with a knuckle head like VJ & I support that, but Mcneil hasn't done anything to show that he lacks good character or is not a team player. My point is that I support Mcneil getting his deal and i think he deserves it, but in my opinion waiting for Mcneil to cave and sign the low tender before giving said deal just proves that it was all about ego for AJ. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    The organization has to set a tone or they will have people with their hands out, holding out, whatever all the time. The organization is trying to be consistent. Consistency may well prevent other hold outs in the future if guys see that they need to conduct themselves in a certain way to get what they want.

14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    AJ offered the most the Bolts could. And, at the time that was a one year tender. He would have been here had he signed it, 3mil.

and imo, he would have been signed to the same long term contract about this time no matter.

that's the way the Bolts roll.

Its not AJ and his ego. Its the way the Bolts do business.

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

IN GAWD WE TRUST

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I think we're 2nd in total O, 2nd in total D, (built by the players AJ aquired) and its impossible to forecast such horrendous special teams issues which have cost us at least 2 games for sure so far. We're also the 4th winningest franchise in the NFL since 04'.

AJ Smith is doing as good of a job as you can ask for from a GM, and I think its childish and stupid to try to blame him for our playoff failures.

17. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    What do I think about AJ Smith?

Just ask the guy in my avi what he thinks about AJ.

18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Hey TF24,

He is what he is some peeps love him and some hate him. I like his straight no BS the way he deals with players. He takes care of the guys who are team players. Pull a ME ME attitude and you get the finger.

He told both VJ and MM, sign the tender and we will go from there. They both tried to strong arm him with holdouts and he didn't blink. Not shocking at all that now that MM signed his tender they are working out a deal.

VJ I would guess is on another plan. Sign, don't be a dumbass off the field this year and we will see. One could also speculate that when VJ pulled the dumbass move on the way to the playoff game last year(pulled over with suspended drivers license, expired tags and noise violation thumping his stereo) and the ******* kicking the red flag(15yrd penalty) move, he punched his own ticket out of SD.

19. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'm STILL pissed about that!

20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    The guy with the Epic Fail record in the playoffs?

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    So, if I run a red light and don't hit someone, does that mean running the red light is a good idea? The end result doesn't always mean the process taken to reach that result was correct

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    If AJ chops down a tree in the forest, does it make a sound?

What is correct, is ensuring that players do not hold the team hostage.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There would have been no team to hold hostage had they just negotiated a new deal 6 months ago rather than playing hard ***

24. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Yes, the sound of the handful of people who b*tch about his every move b*tching about him cutting down the tree.

25. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I appreciate AJ's no nonsense approach, but would hate like hell to work for him. You can have the exact same approach without the attitude. I wonder how much his hard @ss reputation keeps free agents from looking at the Bolts as a potential employer. The only public comment regarding AJ and no desire to be with the Bolts was Eli, and I'm no Eli fan, so it is impossible for me to prove a negative...how many folks didn't come here because of AJ.

That said, I'd rather have him than the vast majority of GMs in the game now...attitude and all.

26. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I don't get the "attitude" stuff. Other than the one time he mimicked LT's words in the paper, he always seems to come off in a professional manner. The organization presents a consistent tone to the players, I would think guys would appreciate that there aren't several different sets of rules.

27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    this

I would LOVE to work for someone like AJ. You always know where you stand, you get rewarded for keeping your nose clean and performing your job @ a high level, and he doesn't let the employees **** around on company time. If you do, you're through. You won't see guys sitting around doing nothing but causing drama while others do all the work. Not on AJ's watch.

The only people I see hating on AJ are people who just don't get it, esp that dude w/ the Marty avatar. Are you kidding me, Marty? Hahahahahahahahaa :lol:

28. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    A.J Smith Should Have Been Fired Years ago When He Let Schottenheimer Go... F A.J Smith!!!

29. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Someone forgot their jets avatar.... :lol:

30. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Yes, Because Marty was the Sole reason we lost to the patriots. Totally true........./end sarcasm.