1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How, exactly, are you supposed to tackle a QB?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BeerGuy, Sep 15, 2009.

1. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    I'm at a loss.

Is it spelled out anywhere?

Football is a contact sport, correct?

It could be a very long season if the refs call games like they did last night.

2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Like this?

[​IMG]

3. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    No, no, no, that's how you tackle a running back.......

[​IMG]

4. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Blame it on the Brady Biotch rule.:yes:

5. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    They are coming dangerously close to eliminating the main thing that I think people find appealing in the sport, the reckless abandon of the game and the risk of taking a voracious hit at anytime.

If you try to make American football too safe you will simply take the essence of the game away from it.

For me it already is not the same game it used to be and every year it gets a little bit worse.

If you legally can't jack someone up why play the game at all? Suit them up in soccer shorts and flags.

If you don't want to be a defenseless receiver, don't jump. I believe once receivers start relying on that rule more people will get hurt because when someone does jack them up they won't be expecting it.

Protecting the legs of a QB makes sense the rest is getting to be pure nonsense.

6. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Carefully.

7. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    How do you tackle a QB?

Just get video of Cro's tackling abilities (or lack of). That's how the NFL would like you to tackle a QB.

Damn, Cro can't tackle, but for some reason I'm still glad he's on our team. He just needs to stop hanging out with Deion, keep his junk in his pants (or use some protection), and possibly learn how to wrap his arms around a player to make a tackle.

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,413
    They look like they're dancing :lol:

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    In the NFL you can only tackle a QB every third Wednesday during the full moon. Or it's relatively close to something like that.

10. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80

Then lets play Wednesday Night Football instead of Monday.

11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Take away his credit card?

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    QB Killa

[​IMG]

13. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    You ask him very politely to please do the opposing team a favor and fall down. (Making sure not to chip a nail or get grass stains on his skirt in the process.)

As we saw two years ago (or was it last year), the NY Giants defensive player that had the QB wrapped up and then let him go thinking he was sacked, only to have the QB run away and score. Well, if the defender had thrown him to the ground, that would have been a penalty, but because he let him go, thinking the play was over, he got burned.

At some point, you have to decide.

14. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I like the evolution of pro football....it has gone from humungous thugs who crushed the opponent with sheer size and strength (I once tried on a salesmen's copy of the Bronco Nagurski championship ring...it almost went onto my wrist) to a game that demands enormous conditioning, skills, and intelligence....much better than the good old days of pro football IMHO.

The NFL players and coaches are kind of like NRA racing teams...every time the league or the association puts more limitations on the activity, the teams get downright ingenuous with their methods to go faster and quicker....same with the NFL. I like the skills game much more than the crash and pound days. Some of those games waaayyyy back in the 50's and 60's were really tedious affairs.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    I agree with you in general, but they are getting pretty ridiculous in babying the quarterback.

I like enormous conditioning, skill, and intelligence in the game, but in the end the core of football is still humungous thugs crushing the opponent with size and strength.

If you want to take that aspect out of the game they may as well play two hand touch or flag football.

16. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    It's much more fun watching the humungous thugs trying to catch the skilled athletes....but when they do catch them...OH MY!!!

Corners, DE's, safeties, and linebackers really get some great opportunities to really screw up someone.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    I agree, and that's where they're going too far with the QB.

The proverbial thug (LBer or lineman) tries to catch the skilled athlete (QB)...and when he does catch him...OH MY!!!....flag thrown.

18. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I liked the game during the 70's and early 80's the best. All I knew about football was from watching the Chargers in the mid 60's on and they were fun to watch.

It also seemed to me that all the NFL teams played a slower game due to all the running they did. I didn't understand the difference at the time but I soon caught on.

They cheapened the game with all the tweaks they are doing to open up the offense. How could SG and DC figure out how to score through the air and yet others couldn't? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Honestly, that was one horrible game by the refs.

20. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    The day this game becomes two hand touch is the day it falls

Wait, that's almost here

21. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    How do you sack the QB? Well we're Chargers fans so we have no idea as we rarely see a QB sack on defense. Then again maybe we're ahead of everybody else on the evolutionary NFL chain. :icon_shrug:

22. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I guess it's real easy for all of us sitting on our asses watching to say that the game has gotten softer.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,413
    It's a relative thing.

Sure, the game is still a hell of a lot tougher than anything we do in our daily lives, but that's not what we're comparing it to.

We're comparing it to the NFL from years ago.

24. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Touche!!!

25. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    It comes down to the $,$$$,$$$,$$$.$$.

When "Star" players are effected, they change the rules.

Indy/Peyton whined like little *****es when their WRs were getting mugged by the pats D. The "illegal contact" rule was more heavily inforced and Peyton went on to set passing/td records the next year. Then Brady broke that one.

Palmer(Cinci) gets his knee blown on a low hit. no rule change.

Brady the Super Model get his knee whacked on a similar low hit, and the rule is changed.

When the NFL stars get whacked/whine like *****es, they add more kid gloves. I find it funny as hell that that Pats got hosed on a call their QB was responsible for enacting.

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If the QB is Tom Brady, a defender grabs each leg & yells "Make a wish!!!". :icon_twisted:

27. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    "My" QB got his knee blown out on a legal hit. That's life.

If a QB is in the grasp, and, keeps moving his feet in an effort to get a pass off.......well.......he deserves to get whipped into the turf.

If your salary has more than two commas in it, suck it up and bounce off the turf.

That might be my new motto:

"The more commas your salary has in it, the less I feel sorry for you."

• Like Like x 1
  28. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I don't like the new rules regarding QBs, but the NFL likes to see the stars on the field. Higher TV ratings, more $$$$.

Just put tutus on them and flags hanging from the lace.

• Like Like x 1