1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How high can Cro go? USA Today Article

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Big Bolts, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Very nice read. Thanks for posting it.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good article. Hope we can get Cro locked up as a Charger for a very long time. :tup:

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We better do it quick. My head tells me to draft beef and if I was AJ, that's probably what I'd do, but I have this irrational attraction to cousin Dominique. We're pretty much set at starting corner, but the thought of those two together get my knickers in a twist. It's like having the munchies and trying to decide between a fat burrito or a half a dozen churros when you ain't got the bucks for both.

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Great read, I expect another stellar season, and hopefully a long term deal.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    We are playing Manning again and that'll be good for at least two picks that time

6. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I suspect that with Jammer, Weddle and Hart also starting with him, that barring injury, he has a shot at Dick Lane's record. The more I think about it, the fewer teams there are that we can't simply man up against and supply constant pressure on the QB's. The only exceptions are some teams with exceptional TE's and maybe the Patsies. We should be able to do this consistently against all of our division rivals and just make the Russell, Cutler and Croyle cry for their mommies. We can also drop LB's and blitz anyone in the back four. Cromartie is fast enough to reach the QB even in the shotgun from time to time and force a throw.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Good read, good goal for the Cro. If he beats the record the Chargers will have to buy him his own bank.

8. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I think New England picks up Cromartie at the 7th pick or they might pick up Keith Rivers

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Sanders was a poser

:tdown:

He couldn't hold Cro's dirty jock

:no:

10. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Yea i agree Sanders was a poser just look at this Vid http://youtube.com/watch?v=xyNMz_LxEoA

But its Insulting to say that Cromartie is even on the same class as "Primetime" He's the best cover Corner ever he can't tackle worth **** but the man can shut anyone down.Don't get me wrong Cromartie's good but he's no Primetime

11. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    He's started like 10 career games and he's already one of the best cornerbacks in the league. He was a way more dangerous cover guy than Chump this year. The world got a glimpse of Cro's potential this year, but next year is when he'll REALLY start blowing people away.

12. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Yea but the Chargers had a better front 7 than the broncos last year...And we all know that pressure is a CBs best friend.Plus Ive never seen the Chargers use Cro like the broncos use Champ.:icon_shrug:

13. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Funny how your front 7 used to play decently before the Mastermind fired Coyer, eh? Too bad for Champ that the rat needed another scapegoat. Coyer last year. Bates and Sundquist this year. Whose it going to be next year? Not Coach Kevlar, I'm sure. Who's left? Bowlen? I kind of miss when you guys used to be competitive. :icon_toast:

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Cro will cost like $100 Million at least. Alex and Dean better pony up to keep Cro here for his career.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Hopefully will be competitive this year.Yea i don't understand our Front Office moves I'm just like any fan clueless and looking for answers. :icon_huh:

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    As much as I love Cro, I actually agree that it's too early to begin comparing him to Prime Time or Champ. Both of those guys reached a point where they could be left all alone on an island with all-pro caliber receivers and hold them at bay. Cro has done great work early in his career, but he hasn't earned the distinction quite yet.

The good news is that he appears to have the work ethic and the desire to be the best, and for a kid who has his kind of freakish physical tools that's a great sign. Five or six years from now we could be talking Cro and hall-of-fame if he continues to improve. He's that talented.

17. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I agree.

I also think that it's important for people to not get their expectations too high for Cro next season. Teams will have had a whole offseason to study his game, and they will be exploiting any weaknesses that he might have. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes through some struggles early, but I think that he'll get better as the year goes on as he adjusts to how he is played.

18. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    The team total will be impressive, that's was most important, but Cro has amazing ball skills. Everybody will get picks, and the passes defensed stat will be impressive, but if they don't shy away from Cro too much he'll conceivably avaerage almost one per game, particularly on long balls if he has a chance to react to it on patterns where his guy is not the target and on short ones where he can jump the route. He spends an enormous amount of time studying film. I'll wager he is already watching films of the QB's and receivers we face this year. As far as Neon goes, Cro already has better ball skills, appears to be a tad faster, doesn't shy away from contact like the glowing sign and has a superior work ethic. There may not be much to choose between the two in coverage skills, but as a complete player, Cro will be much more effective. The front seven can come, and come often, or show blitz and drop into short and medium center field or give a drop look and come on a delayed blitz, or drop into a zone with the safety blitzing. None of the QB's in our division have a lot of experience and only the Pasties, the Dolts, the Panthers and the Saints have top hands at QB and Delhomme may be declining. We have to be a front runner even with an ordinary offense. But ordinary we ain't.

19. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I remember those days in San Diego. Totally ******.

20. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Cro is the Man!! 14 picks this year and a ring.

21. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm not saying I expect it, just that I won't be surprised. If his picks drop off, it will be because opposing QB's are checking him first and going elsewhere. If that happens, no one will be able to throw against us for much of anything, but I suspect that Cottrell will be disguising coverage since the defense and he have adjusted to one another, so the QB's may not have a good read on where he'll be. What I do expect is that he will dominate more than any other corner this coming season if he stays healthy. I'll have to think about this, but off hand I don't think there is another DC whose players give him more scheming flexibility than Cottrell's.

22. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I will be stunned if Cro ever reached double-figures in interceptions again in his career. You guys don't seem to realize how rare that is. He had a great streak of INT's this year, but QB's will definitely start being much more careful when throwing the ball in his area. I don't see him have four or five straight games with a pick like he did this year.

If he does he may be the best CB ever to step on the field.

23. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    This looks reasonable, but I suspect he'll feast on the division. I also agree with the coverage sacks potential, especially with the newer linebackers emerging. Makes me think DE for the first round even more. Igor inside to spell and then replace Jamal when it's time, since he could also split time with a defensive end who contributes as a rook in the meantime, depending on down and distance.

24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

Its rare enough that in our history with the seven pirates and gil byrd and others, that no chargers DB ever had double digit interceptions.
    I think he could get it again at least once more in his career but we have to wait and see, especially considering other teams will adjust to him and probably will throw both less balls to him and run specified routes against him.