1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How is firing the GM, and coach going to help?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JoeRockhead, Sep 28, 2010.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I don't understand all the calls for peoples heads these days. We lost the 2 games, by penalties, turnovers, and bad special teams play. How is this AJ's fault? Or Norv's for that matter. We get freak interceptions on deflections by our recievers, we get fumbles from our RB's trying to drive for extra yards. The Penalties, could be somewhat blamed on playing in two of the loudest and unfriendliest stadiums in the league. I can't make any excuses for the Special Teams play. That is just bad coverage. It looks like the guys are not being disciplined and staying in their zones. Also they are taking bad routes to the return man. We lost both games on special teams really. So that is an area we need to really improve. We get that figured out and we will be not so bad off. So these things, other than special teams coaching, are no fault of Norv or AJ. So why all the finger pointing? Are these losses deeper than I know? VJ's loss has made no huge impact. We still have a great offense. So that goes out the window as a reason. What else but player miscues that I see in both losses is to blame? I need some wise shaman, or Holy Charger wiseman to enlighten and illuminate me. I must be missing a piece of the grand puzzle of the fiendish plot that is going on. Thanks for all knowledge that I will be granted in advance.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    It's not.

We have to ride this storm out.

Firing AJ now/later would be one of the dumbest decisions this team has made since firing Ross. He helped take a terrible 1-15 team (along w/ JB) and built a perennial winner here. When we start to finish 7-9/6-10/5-11 because our team sucks talent wise, THEN BLAME AJ. Until then, STFU.

3. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    This isnt a passing fad...I have disagreed with alot of AJ's doings for a few years now. At the end of the day he wouldnt need to be fired if he thought alittle more about the team and did all he can to get us into the Superbowl..which he is not IMO

4. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    What is he NOT doing to win us a Super Bowl?

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Cutting Kaeding. That is it.:p

6. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I want that other dude to answer.

I agree with you tho :D.

7. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    How far back do you want me to go?

More recently...he didn't do everything he could to sign VJ and MM. PERIOD>

8. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    So that means really, after every year, no matter the record. All the GM's for the teams that didn't win the Super Bowl should be fired?
    I mean they must not be doing enough to get their teams to win it all either. AJ's not perfect, I know, but we have a winning team. It competes every year and keeps us entertained to the end. Mad sometime too. I would like to win it all sometime in my lifetime too. But I'm also glad we are in the thick of things every season. That is much better than being a fan for a team that consistently loses. I do not agree with everything AJ or Norv do, but to cut the roots of the team for being successful in having a winning record makes no sense. As for spending money for players, maybe the owner needs to be placed under a microscope on that one.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    What exactly does "do everything he could to sign VJ and MM" mean? He offered them both fair market value contracts. It's very easy for you to sit there and make claims that Dean should just pay players WHATEVER THEY WANT instead of WHAT THE TEAM THINKS THEY ARE WORTH AND WANTS TO PAY THEM, and then spend Dean's money for him.

As for things AJ has done to NOT win us a Super Bowl, why don't you just go back until he was hired and spell it out for me. You made the claim, now back it up.

10. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    So you admit then that its AJ that decides the value of the players and in doing so is placing a value on what they deem acceptable for trying to win the Superbowl! Players are not unreasonable...they want to get out on the field and play...if AJ had really come close to their estimation, a deal could have been done. I have seen no evidence of AJ trying his wee heart out to get a deal done! He said "here take $3m for 1 year and cout yourself bloody lucky"

IF this has all fallen over because AJ didn't want to pay $30-$50M FOR 5-6 YEARS (whatever it is) the too me...AJ is saying to us that our best chance of getting to the superbowl is not worth that same amount!

11. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I said Dean.

And you still didn't answer the question. You answer, then I'll answer, that how this works. You made the claim, now back it up. Go back to the beggining of AJ's tenure and post all the things he's done to NOT win us a Super Bowl.

12. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    so sorry...DEAN...puts a price on the players etc...

Who do you think Dean is pandering to in all this...AJ SMITH.

Lets not kid ourselves...AJ SMITH is running the show, not the Spanos family.

If the Spanos family were ruinning the show then Marty Schot would still be our coach lol

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Marty Invoked. :lol: That was way earlier than I expected.

You still haven't answered the question. You seem to be very knowledgeable about the inner workings of the organization, so I'm very curious to know just what is really happening behind the scenes.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Why does it have to be an all or nothing approach? When people express their opinion about how AJ handled VJ and MM, it always turns into "Why do you think AJ should have just given them everything they want"? Ever think that maybe there is a middle ground? Maybe if AJ would have been willing to sit down and negotiate, they could have come up with a solution that benifited both sides? Maybe MM and/or VJ either get a long term deal that works for both sides, or a one year deal that the players would have been willing to sign? Maybe they could have been offered 1 year $5-6 mil, and got them into camp? Then the team gets their top players in camp, the players get more money, which is what they want, and the team doesn't have to guarantee $20-30 mil for a guy like VJ.

It is the same thing that happens every time Norv sucking always turns into "But Marty sucked worse". Why couldn't it be that Marty sucked, and so does Norv?

It doesn't have to always be black and white, unfortunately, for AJ, it is always his way or the highway. How about he does what is best for the team and works WITH players and other teams rather than just always playing hard ball and either getting all or nothing. That is what happens in every trade. He either gets a boat load like he did with Whitehurst and Eli, or he gets nothing like with VJ, Brees, and Turner.

There is a middle ground, but he refuses to dabble in the gray area.

By the way, I am not on the "Fire AJ" bandwagon, but I am still on the "Chargers will not win a Super Bowl with Norv as the HC" bandwagon and do want him fired.

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,411
    How many Super Bowls have the Chargers won with VJ and MM?

16. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    None. How many have we won without them? None. Whats your point?

17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,411
    My point is that it's fallable logic to suggest that they're not going to win the Super Bowl because they haven't signed them when there's no proof that they're required to be on the roster before they ever win the Super Bowl.

18. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Its also fallable logic to believe we have the same chance of winning a superbowl without two key players in the squad.

19. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I have no more insight than you do! Isn't that why we are all here...to discuss how we perceive things to be based on the actions of the people in question. I doubt anybody on this forum knows what is truly happening.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    How many Lombardi's did Schottenheimer win during his career????? Shotty is a QB killer, we get rid of DB and he light's it up for the Saint's. Ain't no way in hell Schotty plays air-ball it would always be 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Norv may not win one before he's done in Dego but I like our chances better with him than Schotty.

21. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    What he's saying it that there is no proof either way. You cannot make claims that AJ is undermining the team by not signing guys because there is absolutely NO WAY WHATSOEVER of proving we "would have won it all" if they were both signed unless we win the Super Bowl this season. Until then it's just nonsense. It's like saying "If AJ would have kept Brees we would have won the Super Bowl last year" , "If Aliens would have abducted AJ then we would have won the Super Bowl", or "If Barack Obama wasn't president we would have won the Super Bowl". Those are all asinine statements.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What does Marty have to do with anything? He got fired, for good reason. Doesn't change the fact that Norv is just as bad and this team has just as good of a chance with Norv as it did with Marty. Neither will get this team to the promise land

23. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Then stop acting like you KNOW what would happen if AJ did this or that or say stuff like AJ is actively trying to NOT win a Super Bowl. I'm not the one running around making wild claims that AJ did this or did that, you are.

I knew you couldn't back anything up.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    scratchnz invoked the good 'ol Marty argument

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I guess I got lost as to where you getting it from since you didn't quote what you were replying from. Sorry

26. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    NP dude

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Dude, I believe we have a better chance with Norv than ever with Marty. I never said Norv is going to win it all and if he does it will be without the *******, V Jackoffson. I was glad to see, MM family and friends got throygh to the big guy, he showed up and I'd be willing to bet Deano takes care of him down the line.

28. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I didn't say we would DEFINATELY WIN ANYTHING! I did say that having our best team on the field and that includes MM and VJ gives us our BEST CHANCE of winning a Superbowl!

Dont people read so good?

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What have we seen from Norv that says we have a chance? We start out lost and unprepared every year. We get hot and go on a several game winning streak. Then we flame out in the playoffs. It has happened 3 straight year, and this year is starting out the same way. No reason to think it won't finish the same way.

30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    MM signed, is news slow to get down your way???? Jackoffson is history, he nothing more than a mistake waiting to happen. On and off the field.