1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

How many QB's call their own plays?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BeerGuy, Aug 30, 2009.

1. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
    I just saw a side story in SI by Dan Patrick where Rivers admits that he doesn't call his own plays, doesn't want to call his own plays, and wants nothing to do with being a play caller.

How many of these guys really call their own plays? I know they have the little green dots on their helmets for a reason, but, sometimes you need to take the training wheels off.

What happens in a hurry up offense? Is it all that scripted when you're beating the clock in a 2 minute drill.

All that flapping & gyrating Peyton does better mean he's calling the ball.

2. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208
    I think a hurry up situation is a little different. I could be completely wrong, but I thought that in a hurry up, it was sort of a scripted thing. Like, the HC and offense would script out what plays they wanted in the hurry up according to the defense's weaknesses ahead of time, with audibles thrown in for a change up.

Peyton's crap that he does is mainly for misdirection I think. Kind of hard to get his rhythm down when he's calling blocking assignments and whatnot, whether they are for real or not. Not many ILBs have his number, and I think that plays a large part in his success. He doesn't fool Cooper though!

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    In today's NFL, I would say nobody.

4. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    The only playcalling any NFL QB does is audibles. The offensive coordinator works with the offensive guru upstairs and they relay the play to the QB. When the QB sees something in the defense that doesnt match up...than they call the audible...but those are already scripted too. Its just like Highschool football....no QB is calling the game...regardless of what people think about their QB.

On the other hand...Brett Favre pretty much does what he wants to do...

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,631
    All the bullshit Peyton does is for show.

6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I heard Peyton Manning gets a list of four plays every few downs from the OC and decides when to implement them so I'd say he calls his own plays. Then he audibles the hell out of them.

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I heard him answer this question live, it was said more like he respected the knowledge and info the OC/Guys in the booth have - Philip will change a play on the line if he sees a mismatch or something but if it's not broke don't fix it. Remember, he is the son of a football coach so while he's competitive and has football smarts, he's not going to try and play coordinator on the field when there are perfectly capable folks up top with a better view of the whole field and how plays are breaking down.

Recently he discussed how things have evolved as far as his comfort level with the offense and how his role has grown and he said if he wants to run a play he talks to Norv about it and if it makes sense they'll run it, no biggie.

I like that he and the coaches work together and have their own focus or main responsiblity in the offense - they're one big unit all moving in the same direction - I wouldn't necessarily want my QB running the offense 100% of the time, it's good that they CAN in a no huddle or hurry-up situation but I don't think it's the best route for the majority of situations.

8. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +100
    This question always cracks me up when I hear it. Those days are over. Marino and Elway were the last great one's we saw do it. Manning definately likes to take a bigger step in taking on the audible game. Dont forget that when you audible guys dont come on and off the field to switch the talent or scheme. The other simple fact is that people act as if all plays are designed for one person or one kind of attack. Lets not forget about all the options a QB has. The real talent lies in the QB that is smart about protecting the ball. They can all throw it or they wouldn't be there. Can they all manage the clock well and keep the turnovers to a minimum is the key. Calling their own offense? Well I guess that is something that happens behind the scenes when they watch video and talk with staff. The feedback in those meetings is when they decide the offense and I'm pretty sure every QB in the NFL has a say in what he "like's" or he feels is working.