1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How Many Running Backs Do We Draft ?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    How many running backs do we draft or pick up after the draft ?

Who are we going to draft...

Why are we going to draft them...

What round will we draft them in...

Where do I live...

Whats my name...

Sorry guys I got carried away...

I can't wait for the draft to get here...

In A.J. Smith I trust...

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I think he drafts two.

Sproles could still be a draft day trade and in that case we would for sure get two. If not, i still say two with one in the last round.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    ill say one 1 in the 2nd and another in the 5th or 6th.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Definitely two

I'm betting one early (rounds 1-3) and then probably one with that compensatory fifth rounder, or even a fourth rounder.

Maybe Matthews and Dixon or Hardesty and Blount

5. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Joe Mcknight and Jonathan Dwyer? (not in that order)

I get a funny feeling that because of the success of someone like Gore in Norvs scheme we will be in the market for a big pounder of a back!

Someone like Dwyer, Dixon or Blount

My money is on Dwyer...whos yours on??:icon_shrug:

6. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Not a CHANCE we draft McKnight...Or Dwyer :icon_tease:

My money is on Tate/Scott in the 2nd/5th.

7. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I'm betting we draft 2. I think 3 is excessive. Given the depth at the position I wouldn't be suprised at all if we draft RB's in the first 3 rounds (Round 1 or 2 AND 3). Multiple reasons:

a. We might end up trading Sproles as someone has already metioned which will mean that we NEED 2 impact RBs...not one.

b. Deep RB draft, but you don't want to draft too low to just end up with a JAG when you could get good solid help earlier.

c. Not too many positions on this team of extreme need other than DT and RB. DT is just not that deep and we may have to go early with that one.

d. Increase your odds at landing a big time playmaker by drafting 2 RB's in the front end of the draft and hope to strike gold with one.

e. The way of the NFL these days is multiple back rotation....upwards of 3 backs like the NY Giants of a couple of years ago.

f. RBs also generally translate well to ST players. Roster space if valuable and you need guys contributing in multiple ways.

g. We may want 2 distinct styles of RB's.....ie, thunder and lightning approach....like Best in round 2 and maybe a between the tackles guy like Hardesty in round 3.

I could actually keep going....but at a minimum I think we draft one back early and one late.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Well almost everyone we've spoken with or talked to has been a big sledgehammer; Ben Tate, Toby Gerhart, Montario Hardesty has some qualities of that, Legarette Blount, even Matthews can run over people. Big backs are the best compliment to a wide open offense

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    We need one running back & one offensive lineman that can impose their will on third and short.

I'm not sure who that is but it's what I think we need

and a run stopper on defense

10. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    talked to? who cares! chargers often draft people without first talking to them.

11. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    LOL...doubt we would pick 3 in a row and there are actually possitions that are deeper than RB. This DL class is loaded with talent and you can get some pretty decent players late. Some good talent at TE as well but we really dont need one asside from a blocking TE and a couple of those might go undrafted.

This RB class is deep but it isnt spectacular imo.

If Sproles is traded, we go two RB's in the first 4 rounds, ....if not, one early, one later. I do think there will be many trades on draft day. Not so much in the first round but there after we should see a lot of trades particularly in the middle rounds.

12. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Then we aren't drafing a RB till the 7th.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We will not draft anyone at RB.

Nobody !!!

Remember you heard it here FIRST !!! :bolt:

14. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

I don't think we're drafting 3 in a row either, which is why I said 2 in a row....or at 2 in the first 3 rounds. I happen to think round 2 and 3 is more likely than round 1 and 3...or back to back in rounds 1 and 2 because I think we need to address DLIne in the first 2 rounds also.

15. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Hmmm.. Been drinking? :icon_tease:

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Bring back Michael Bennett. Rotate Legadu in the the mix with Sproles and Tolbert (and Hester). Get Gates to run out of the I-formation. Bring back the winged T dammit. The wishbone lives (for at least one play then boom). Put Mooch as a blocking back and slam tango.

For gods sakes people ... get us some linemen and when you think the lines are right get us some backups who push the starters across the board.....then think about a back whose shelf life is about 2.5 years or so.

Please do not draft any of these running backs. I said please. Stop the madness. Stop the insanity. :bolt:

17. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    we will draft Ben Tate/ Charles Scott, or Ben tate/ Dexster Mccluster, or Ryan Matthews "if hes there, / joique bell, thats the match ups i see

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I think the Chargers have 7 picks, maybe they can draft one RB and 6 fat boys? :icon_shrug:

BTW I say 1 RB in the first 2 rounds and bring in a couple of UDFA RBs

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Not on school nights. Eva' :no: You will know when the world famous posting while altered syndrome hits. Trust a brother.

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    With the added third day to the draft I deffinatly beleive that we will see alot of trades goin down on day 2.

On what RBs and when your guess good as mine. I do think 2 at the minimum new faces are commin to SD. As far as who to me it looks like no one RB in this draft will be a 10 year producer. So we load up on 2 of the good potential for 6+ season guys and we play the RB by commitee copycat card for a while.
    :icon_toast:

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

A.J.'S PISS CURES

CANCER ....

ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION ....

MALE PATTERN BALDNESS ....

AND

A NEW SOON TO BE ANNOUNCED FORMULATION THAT WILL CURE FORUM STUPIDITY !!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  22. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    :lol: I can't wait!

23. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    The unknown factor here is if Sproles is staying or going.

If he stays we might only draft one power type back that is versitile enough to handle 20 plus carries per game and run inside.

Those backs are Mathews, Tate, and Hardesty, IMO.

If Sproles gets traded then we could go Best at 40 or maybe MCCluster late 2nd early 3rd to replace Sproles and get a jumbo back like Gerhart or even Scott late.

I also really like Deji Karim with our comp pick in the 5th. This guy can run more than Sproles and would be a good lower round alternitive to getting a jumbo back early or say a general purpose back like Mathews.

LaMarcus Coker should be signed as sproles insurance UDFA even if Sproles stays.

24. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    :lol:..He wont be a RB in the NFL.

25. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    he most likely wont be a RB but i could see him bein use like darren sproles out the backfield, a change of pass back, someone who can hide behind the blockers and not be seen, so thats y i like him if we ship sproles off

26. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Me personally I would say Sproles trade is just under 50/50. If Sproles is gone, then we get possibly 3 new backs. Could be 2 draftees and a UDFA, or woulndt be surprised to see a last minute FA pickup like Fargas. I think he is still avail??

27. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Has anybody forgotten about our star free-agent running back signing????? I don't know what all this RB talk is about when we already have our pro-bowl, mvp starter in.... MARCUS MASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :nana_rock: :icon_rofl: :flag:

28. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I havent forgotten about Mason, but to me he seems like he is only here to compete for a job. Hence he could see the door before the reg season starts.

Not sayin he cant get it done, but he will be competing with Sproles (if hes here) and 2 Young RBs.

29. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I know he won't start... i was making a joke

30. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Yep. 2 backs, 1 NT in the first three. Then we'll grab a corner, a TE and OL's, whoever ranks highest on the chart should determine the order, unless positions we want get et up too quick, then we might make a small reach.