1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

How many times does Wright need to get burned deep...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Enormo, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    ...before they rotate coverage or get him help over the top? Do they think the Jackson will step out or be over-thrown every time?

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Pags isn't the most adaptive DC in the league.

3. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100
    Single safety deep with slow reactions isn't good defense? Dam we have been doing it wrong for years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Philly did a great job getting miss matches. But still, Derek Cox has to be on the WR1. Last week, Andre Johnson was the player to play man to man, we played off coverage. Now, one of the fastest and explosive WR's in the league and we want to play man to man and not even get a finger on him at the LOS is just a terrible game plan.

I just don't like Marcus Gilchrist playing SS. He left Wright to hang at times with no help over the top. I've said it before, Marcus Gilchrist is better at FS not SS. And he should be strictly a nickel corner or CB2.

I actually liked Wright inside at nickel in pre-season. Think we should give Marshall a look at CB2 as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Way toooooo much zone in the defensive backfield, draw it up close and take the pattern, force it to the sideline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Gilchrist is no SS, even if he seemed to be (trying to) play more of a FS position last nite. Can't we play Taylor in the box and have Weddle help out Cox and Wright? not sure Gilchrist is ever gona make it as anything to be honest. 2nd round pick too wow, another bust from AJ.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,231
    If I recall, Weddle is our Strong Safety, making Gilchrist our Free Safety...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Not according to the roster at .com, although we use our safeties pretty much interchangeably. Taylor will hopefully be at full speed soon & we can see what he has to offer.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    They used Weddle all over the field and many times in the box, like a strong safety. I guess that was a way to help alleviate the assignments for the read-option.

As a side note the Chargers have faced two top 10 receivers back to back, Andre Johnson and DeSean Jackson - two of the best in the NFL. Jackson runs by everybody and yeah the team should've given him more help but sometimes (see his TD) it just didn't help. I am not happy with Cox or Wright's performance last two weeks but let's see vs the Titans, that's a lesser challenge than either of the previous two

10. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Wright played in man all day long, it's true Jackson had a big day but the kid is working it and should only improve. On the TD he turned his head to early and lost a step in doing so and couldn't fully recover. I liked what I saw and Pags must have signed off on Wright manning up with Jackson, sometimes it takes getting burned to learn.

11. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Jackson is a tough guy to cover. I think wright will be ok - it was pretty foolish to leave him with little or no help over the top on a guy with DeSean's speed & elusiveness. Having said that - Gilchrist looked out of position (again) a number of times. Hope Taylor gets healthy soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Usually FS plays 'center field' and is the QB of the defense. That's exactly where Weddle lines up. SS also lines up usually on the strong side of the offense, that's opposite of Weddle.

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Gilchrist sure looked like a free safety on the Jackson TD and had an oh shite moment playing catchup from center field. I don't know what their rotation is off the zone in back of the "man" up front by Wright but Jackson caught balls everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Hard to believe that. Gilchrist played well his rookie year and last year in the nickel.

Strong Safety just isn't his position. Free Safety is his secondary position, Corner is his primary position. Whether that's a CB2 or in the nickel, he does a solid job.

15. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I'd put him back at nickel IF Taylor pans out, but he didn't look that great there either. We're going to need to draft for the secondary next year - again. :-(

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,770
    I might be crazy but on Philly's first offensive play, I thought I seen the Bolts line up similar to a 42 alignment. I don't know if they shifted prior to the snap or not but I had a vision of the Buddy Ryan defense of the 85 Bears. Maybe it was just gas.

17. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Gilchrist may have played well in the nickel, but when he filled in for Cason at CB he was horrible. The sad truth is, the entire Charger secondary isn't looking so good right now...the defensive line and linebackers are playing well and that is helping things, but the secondary, as a whole, for the Chargers is pretty suspect, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Yes... Weddle is playing far closer to the line than Gilchrist is i.e. Gilchrist seems to be playing more FS but they've been saying Weddle is the FS since day 1. If we need that in the box tackling machine i.e. Weddle near the line that guy ain't Gilchrist, I'd try Addae or Taylor there and have Weddle roam/play center field. He should then be smart enough to get over to help Wright or Cox as required.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,770
    I'm looking at Addae becoming more inclusive as enforcer as time goes by, whether its called free or strong safety by virtue of presnap alignment I don't care the kid has a nose for the ball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    That's just it - he didn't play that well at nickel either. Better, but not well.

21. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +509
    I think Shareece is holding his own. He has to play in the scheme he's put into.
    I don't see very many other starting cornerbacks doing much better if placed into
    the same defensive scheme.
    He's still young and with this experience it will greatly add to his abilities.
    With time, he could develop into a very consistent and reliable corner...and in a few years
    we might be comparing him to QJ....but with less P.I. calls.
    Okay, fire-up the kneejerk reaction machines...

22. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Time will tell - or more accurately, reps will tell. He can definitely hit. Nose for the ball? Meh - he was out of position quite a number of times too.

23. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    Single Deep is tough to play if the team keeps throwing deep. That being said, Desean Jackson is by far and away the fastest receiver on the field and Gilly should have been shading his way every snap. Just to slow to react. Shareece knows he's fast but has never covered someone like Desean and he should not have been playing catchup with him.

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    They have never played as listed on the roster. Trumpet Man and I had argued in the past about that... I argued Weddle wasn't the strong safety according to .com, but in play he is.

25. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I'm not as certain with Pagano, but past DC's have used the safeties in either role. Yesterday Weddle was up close/blitzing quite a bit, so I suppose I'd look at that as more of a traditional strong safety role.

IMO, if we had another safety who was a sure tackler/good in run support, Weddle is better suited to the ball-hawking role & smart enough to adjust for coverage responsibilities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I noticed the same thing. In fact, there were times in the dime package that Walker was off the field and Weddle was exactly where Walker lined up.

Also Wright got hurt on the first series. Watch the slo-mo of Jackson sprinting away from him. Looks to me like Wright's not getting full extension with his right leg. Slightly dinged up. Gotta be hard to defend one of fastest WRs in league in that condition. Definitely needed help.

If that's not the reason he was so slow, ie if he actually is that slow at 100%, then it's back to the draft for CBs.

27. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I can't imagine we WON'T draft a CB or try to upgrade via FA. IMO, it's the next highest priority behind a long-term LT. Not completely sold on King being "the guy".

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    LOL! I read this and was thinking to myself "and that Dunlap guy is ticking me off too..." Good thing I actually thought before posting... (for once) :laugh:

• Like Like x 1
  29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    You're partially sold on King being "the guy" ? :cautious:

30. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Yeah - he's done a reasonable job so far, but the jury is still out.

Not gonna play the semantics game, Lance. You wanna be a grammar Nazi, find another player.