1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How much do you love football? So much you'd cut off a pinkie

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

LIFE OF REILLY

How much do you love football? So much you'd cut off a pinky to play it? That's what Trevor Wikre did.

How much do you love football? So much you'd cut off a pinky to play it? That's what Trevor Wikre did.

You say you love your team? You say you're totally committed? Please. I'll show you commitment.

Meet 6-3, 280-pound Trevor Wikre. He's the starting right guard for Division II Mesa State College in Grand Junction, Colo. He loves football like wolves love pork chops. He'd do anything for his team. Two weeks ago, he proved it.

During a practice, Wikre, of Berthoud, Colo., caught his pinky on a linebacker's jersey during a sweep play. When he looked down, he happened to notice his bone was sticking out of his skin.

"Just tape it up," he told the trainer. "We got practice to finish."

Instead, they sent him to the hospital, where doctors told him they'd need to insert pins and reconstruct the ligaments. It'd need at least four months to heal. He'd be done for the season.

"No way," Trevor said. "This is my senior year. We've got to make this work."

"We can't," the doctor said.

"We can," insisted Trevor. "We can cut it off."

Cut if off?

"To have somebody tell you that you've played your last game of football, I just wasn't going to let that happen," Trevor explains. "I couldn't do that to my teammates. I'd take a bullet for those guys."

Or a bone saw. So he made the doctor lop off his right pinky. Problem solved!

Two days later, he was ready to play against Colorado School of Mines, only the doctors wouldn't let him. "Some stupid thing like the stitches would rip," he grouses.

And how do his teammates feel about his sacrifice? They hate him for it. Especially the ones who have missed games with injuries this season. "Thanks a lot for making us look like wussies," one said to him. The rest of them just kid. When Trevor does something good now, they hold up their hands and holler, "High four!"

Trevor only has one regret. The doctor didn't give him the finger. "I wanted to make a necklace out of it." It'd also be a great gag at Subway!

Feels odd, though. The finger that isn't there aches and itches. He wakes up at night to hold it against the throbbing, only to remember it's gone. It takes him longer to get dressed now. And it turns out you need your pinky to hold the remote—and handfuls of M&M's. But his biggest problem has been typing. "I look down and notice that all my p's are missing."

What's funny about this story is that Trevor doesn't eat light bulbs for breakfast, or ram his head through plywood. He's actually a level-headed guy. "He teaches me patience," says his mother, Kim. "He's the calm one. And it's like he told me, 'Mom, I'm not gonna be a piano player or a surgeon. I'm a football player. I gotta play football.' So I'm perfectly fine with it."

Well, except for the first time she saw his hand in a video on the Internet and had to leave work, sick to her stomach. "I can understand that," Trevor says. "She was happy I was born with 10 fingers and 10 toes and now I'm short one."

But, hey, could be worse. As Trevor's fiancée, Traci, says, "Of all the body parts he could've taken off, that one wasn't so bad. I feel kinda good about it. I know that if he ever needs to sacrifice for our future, he'll do it."

What's off-the-charts unbelievable is Trevor's head coach, Joe Ramunno, did the same thing. He slashed his left pinky in a high-school shop class 29 years ago and insisted they cut if off rather than miss his senior season. "It didn't occur to me until afterward," Trevor says. "My coach and I had the same thing happen!"

High eight!

So, has it all been worth it?

"When I think about how much I love football, and my team, I just get goose bumps," says Trevor, who, big shock, wants to coach after he graduates. "To be able to play and hit people and not get in trouble for it? Man, it's a blessing. I love my team. And I'm a big believer in actions speaking louder than words."

Every pancake block now seems sweeter, every snot-producing hit more precious. And Ramunno says the team is playing "inspired football since Trevor did this." In fact, Trevor helped Mesa State clobber Colorado State-Pueblo, 26-3 this past Saturday, helping it raise its Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference record to 5-0.

"When you get a second chance at something you're so passionate about?" he says. "Man, your love for what you're doing just skyrockets."

So does the respect his teammates really do feel for him. "Amazing," says Mesa State quarterback Phil Vigil.

Personally, I think they should type him a little note of thanks:

Trevor,

We areciate you and hoe you don't miss your inky.

With Resect,

Your als

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3642825&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'd give up a testacle for a Lombardi. :yes: Here take it just knock me out first.

That leaves me with one so I'm good.

Please AJ bring us a ring........

• Like Like x 1
  3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

Great post :lmfao:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I love my Chargers but that's too high for me, I still have use for them :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I think this young man's gonna regret this decision someday.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Gotta wonder why any respectable surgeon would agree to do this!! :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Not to mention his parents :icon_eek:

8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    There goes his back-up career as a hand model.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    That's nothing. Wilhelm and Smith cut their nuts off before the season :icon_eek:

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  10. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    :icon_rofl: Nice!

11. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    You mean it doesn't affect his balance and grabs, like a toe affects turns and twists and darts?

12. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    If he was an adult, who cares what his parents think......I had to make the choice once and I made the wrong choice it would have been much easier to cut it off but my friend said," What would your parent think". I made the mistake of listening to him. Its a pincky finger for Gods sake lose it. Samurai and Yakuza do it all the time and they still are able to get along and kill people. Its not like cutting off your thumb or index finger.:tup:

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    I'm in.
    Don't need mine any more, so they can have 1.

14. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I saw four live football games in person last week kickoff to horn.

15. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    He's a dumbass.