1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How not to build a team, or the Chargers Way

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Chargers - How to Draft 101
    by Mike Murray @TAZZSTERMURRAY

As the Chargers season continues to disintegrate one has to wonder what has gone terribly wrong. You can point the finger in many directions, but lets take a look at the draft and what the Chargers have failed to do that winning teams are doing.

THE GAME IS WON IN THE TRENCHES

There are some age-old adages in the NFL that have stood the test of time – Defense wins championships, the game is won in the trenches, we need to establish the run game. Are these really true? These sayings all point to one thing in my head and that is strong line play.

Its one thing to say it, but its quite another to put your money where your mouth is. Are successful teams doing these things to win?

Let’s look at the 5 teams with the best records in the league and see what they have done in the first 4 rounds of the draft over the last 3 years.

Patriots (8-0)
    2015 – 6 picks, 5 lineman selected
    2014 – 5 picks, 3 lineman selected
    2013 – 5 picks, 0 lineman selected
    Totals – 16 picks, 8 lineman (50%)

Bengals (8-0)
    2015 – 6 picks, 3 lineman selected
    2014 – 4 picks, 2 lineman selected
    2013 – 5 picks, 1 lineman selected
    Totals – 15 picks, 6 lineman (40%)

Panthers (8-0)
    2015 – 3 picks, 1 lineman selected
    2014 – 4 picks, 2 lineman selected
    2013 – 3 picks, 3 lineman selected
    Totals – 10 picks, 6 lineman (60%)

Broncos (7-1)
    2015 – 4 picks, 3 lineman selected
    2014 – 3 picks, 1 lineman selected
    2013 – 3 picks, 1 lineman selected
    Totals – 10 picks, 5 lineman (50%)

Cardinals (6-2)
    2015 – 4 picks, 3 lineman selected
    2014 – 5 picks, 1 lineman selected
    2013 – 5 picks, 3 lineman selected
    Totals – 14 picks, 7 lineman (50%)

Notice a trend. In the first 4 rounds of the draft the top 5 teams in the league spend about 50% of their picks on linemen. And none of them have drafted less than 5 lineman over the last 3 years.

Bring in Tom Telesco and the Chargers. Over the last three years the Chargers have drafted 2 line man in the first 4 rounds of the draft. Yep, only 2. And one of those was a reach (Chris Watt). The Chargers also each year have traded away their 4th round pick, leaving them with only 9 picks in the first 4 rounds of the draft over the past 3 years. The Chargers spent 22% of their remaining picks on lineman. Well below the 50% that winning teams were drafting. If you throw in the picks the Chargers traded away it results in 16% of the picks being lineman. That is a long ways from 50%.

So if you want to be at the top of the league draft lineman.

If you don’t, you end up 2-7.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    ^^^ to add something important to this discussion ^^^

I was shocked to find out that the Patriots are currently # 2 in terms of line injuries in the League, right behind the Chargers sitting at # 1 :eek:

Yet, the Pats consistently draft players whom for their schemes and their plans irrespective of whom they lose to FA and to injuries because both Belichick and Brady rule that team with an iron fist. No one dares to get out of line on that team whether on or off the field even the whacko, colorful and free spirited Gronk! Those who do (murderers included :D) get bounced :sneaky:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    The fact that Donald Butler is still starting tells you all you need to know about accountability with this sorry franchise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I love Tom Krasovic but in yesterday's chat he reckoned Butler was better than the 3 options as back ups i.e. Mays, Dzub and Conner. I don't buy that. Dzub perhaps but Mays has been a player, maybe he has nothing left?, if so why was he brought in? and while Conner didn't set the world on fire monday night he tries hard. Butler does not even try. This should probably be his last season in the NFL. I wonder how long it will take him to spend/blow the $ he has received to date.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    I think Kavell Conner is a quality sub. Going forward, I want us to have no part of Butler. And as bad as Butler is, he is better than Mays (who has nothing left) and Dzubnar (who never had anything to begin with).

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I have been wanting beef on the lines for many years now. Its like yelling when you are right next to an Aircraft in full afterburner.

7. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    OL and DL. Been in my sig for years

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Patriots offensive line is also first in adjusted line yards despite all their injuries. Players that have started for New England have been undrafted, practice squad additions and players playing completely out of position. They had their TE playing RT for them this past weekend. They then moved Bryan Stork, who is a C - has never taken a snap anywhere along the line in the NFL, at RT.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Telesco is watching Jeremy Langford right now and thinking...**** it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    "THE GAME IS WON IN THE TRENCHES"

Yep, amazing isn't it .............

and yet none of us have had a clue over the years to EVER suggest investing in Lineman through the draft.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, we did you're saying ? (since as far back as 08 I would suggest)

So where are those fans now, that love to call out other fans as know-alls who have never worked in NFL FO's when mentioning such outlandish idea's ?

I'm guessing those rats have long since jumped ship once the wins dipped below the double digit number, many moons back. ;)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Nah, I'd rather draft a WR and have pretty stats.