1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How the Chargers Performed in Their Two Most Important Games of the Year

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Jan 9, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Our 2 contests against Denver decided division supremacy. The Donks were our biggest competition for the division by far. Our first win against them gave us sole possession of first place in the division. Our 2nd game against them clinched the division.

Why do I bring this up? Because these are the games that were played with a playoff mentality, in a playoff atmosphere, games that showed the true character of our football team.

Well, all the Chargers did in those two game was score two impressive victories, including a come from behind victory in Denver where we had not won in nearly a decade.

The offensive numbers the Chargers put up in those games are absolutely frightening. Far from being overwhelmed, Philip Rivers played two of his better, more clutch games going 34/49 for 501 yards with 4 TDs and 2 INTs. LT added 7 TDs and 291 yards of total offense, while Gates caught 12 balls for 152 yards and 2 TDs.

The Chargers put up 83 points combined (41.5 ppg). In their other 14 games, the Broncos gave up only 15.6 ppg, just a point more than the Pats surrendered this year.

This is the same Broncos defense that held the mighty Brady to 7 points in NE.

Of the 26 TDs the Denver D allowed this year, 11 were scored by the Bolts. In their two games against us, the Broncos D gave up 5.5 TDs per game. In their other 14 games, the Broncos D allowed just .9 TDs per game.

While these games were not playoff games, they were our biggest games of the year by far, and our offense was amazing in both of them. If you subtract the damage we inflicted on the Broncos defense, the Broncos averages per game are almost identical to what the Pats averaged per game in both points and TDs allowed. Plus, both of those games pitted Marty against a "genius" SB-winning coach.

I really think most people don't realize what the Pats are walking into, including alot of Charger fans. The Chargers played our best ball when it mattered most, and I fully expect to see that trend continue Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  2. VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN

VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    way to be on the stats man. it does make sense that we would play denver with playoff mentality. i bet if anything marty expected them to be there with us, not KC.

3. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I know some people dismiss stats. They are not the end all be all, but they do tell part of the story. We scored 41.5 PPG against a team that gave up an average of 15 PPG the rest of the year. That's sick. Oh, and the Pats only scored 7 against that same team.

The more I think about this game, the more confident I become in the Bolts winning. The only thing the Pats have going for them is their experience, but that can only take them so far. Every dynasty begins without any championship experience, and they are all doubted until they win it all. But I have to say I'm amazed at how many people seem to be discounting the Bolts in this game.

4. VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN

VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    yea no one in my school seems to think that they can win this first game. A few keep reminding me of marty's record in the playoffs, then when i out smart them they ask how many super bowls the chargers have won. :icon_evil: that annoys the hell out of me. i really wanna prove my SCHOOL wrong.

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    When the Chargers were down and coulda folded, they fought back. Against the Bengals, down 21 at the half, they scored on 6 of the 7 posessions in the 2nd half. When Philip threw that pick 6 against Denver, at Denver, they came back and stuck it up the Donko's asses.

The Chargers are 6 points away from a perfect season. They're focused, and they meanta dominate the league, a game atta time, a play atta time.

I jes don't see it any other way.

6. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I agree.

The Chargers have matched up well in the past vs. the Pats too.

The last time the Pats played a good defense on the road, they got shut out by the Dolphins, 21-0.

The one thing that keeps sticking in my mind is the interview Jets GM Tannenbaum gave to Sirius this past summer. He said Mangini wanted an OC that came from a system that gave that Pats defense problems. That's why Brian Schottenheimer's name came up.

Our offense is better than the last time we played the Pats. Our defense is WAY better than the last time we played the Pats.

I keep hearing all this crap about the "great Pats front seven" by only Seymour is a top talent. Wilfork and Warren looked slow. Warren isn't the type of player that gives Olivea problems. None of their OLB's are pass rushing talents like Merriman and Phillips.

The Jets young and inexperienced OL gave some holes to their RB's, but they didn't capitalize on them. Leon Washington's light weight made him go down many times with arm tackles, and his inexperience showed when a bounce out was available. LT and Turner would have SHREDDED the Pats last week - with the Jets OL.

This game has blowout written all over it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I jes believe Gates and VJ are gonna be huge in this game.

8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072

They have to; Antonio has pretty much been quiet this season. He has some great catches, but it has been LT who has carried this team.

The Patriot’s are going to do everything they can to take LT out of the game.

Now is the time for Rivers and Gates to get on the same page. We do not need 30 yards every catch, a very slow and methodical, 5 - 6 yards every catch will suffice.

Make the patriots respect the pass that will open up LT in the 2nd half... OH, and watch out for Bruschi’s cheap shots, as that is all he is good for now.

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Agreed. Washington was indecisive and when he hit the hole he looked like he was in slow motion compared to LT.

Colvin and Vrabel are very solid LBs, but Bruschi has been very mediocre this year and their 4th LB is a nobody.

10. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66

This a statistical comparison that means something.

In the case of common opponents this is a very good analysis. People can say that the Chargers have faded against "Top Tier" defenses, but they discount the teams excellence this year against the broncos, a team that held Brady and co. in check.

As far as the "Playoff Mentality" goes I agree. Divisional supremacy is key to postseason success. Besides the obvious fact that winning more games in your division helps you get into the playoffs, there is the familiarity factor and the need to gameplan for an opponent twice in one season. Playing the Broncos and Chiefs in the regular season is, in fact, very much like a playoff game. (playing the raiders is more like a pre season game lately though)

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    word :tdown:

12. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112

Totally disagree that Gates has had a quiet year .. He only has one less TD and a hundred less yards than a year ago. I just think that we have all be so focused on what a job LT has been doing, that Gates is often overlooked.

Having said that .. He does need to have a big game as does LT.

13. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Yep. Last year, Gates became the first TE in history to catch 10+ TDs in consecutive seasons. Just because he came up one shy of doing it three years in a row doesn't mean he had a quiet year.

Rivers has spread the ball around more than Brees last year. Brees relied more on Gates. Add that to the excellence of Tomlinson and I think that explains why Gates' numbers have been down a bit compared to last year. When we have needed him, Gates has been huge.

14. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Excellent analysis !!! I believe the game will be close in the first quarter but as the game goes on a BLOWOUT will ensue ! :abq2: :abq1: :bolt: :icon_toast: