1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How to get Spiller

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Mar 14, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    If the Chargers really wanted to get CJ Spiller, we could trade the 28th pick and Sproles (and if they want more also a 6th or 7th) to the 49ers for their 13th pick and grab CJ Spiller. Would be great to have Spiller on our offense!! He can do almost everything!!! except push the pile.... but that is why we either trust Tolbert or draft a bruiser later on in the draft.
    Would you be ok with this?

2. seau55

seau55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Personally id rather get an extension done with Sproles, Draft defense rounds 1&2 and get Tate/Blount in the 3rd

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I was thinking of that idea too. Spiller, from what I've read in the draft magazines recently is the real deal, a potential pro-bowl type back. I would do it. Maybe this is AJ's plan? :icon_shrug:

Oh, btw, I found a picture of Spiller sporting an LT Throwback? A sign of the future perhaps?

[​IMG]

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would rather trade Sproles for a draft pick, and use that pick on a RB capable of carrying the ball more than 4-5 times a game

5. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Change the name on the back of the jersey to Spiller and I will be very happy.

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That would be nice, but won't happen unless we give up our 1st this year and possibly a 2nd next year OR Sproles. I would love to have Spiller but it will take some wheeling and dealing to get him. But CJ sure looks good in those Powder Blues. :tup:

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It would probably even take more than that becasue we would have to move up at least 15 spots. It would probably cost our #1 this year, #1 next year AND Sproles to move up 15+ spots in the 1st round

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    That would be interesting to see. I'm sure the Bolts won't retire his number but wonder if they delay a player from wearing it next year. But then again, him going to a team that has knocked us out of the playoffs twice and not to mention this year when it was considered "our year". Wonder how they truly felt when he signed wwith the Jets.

9. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    No we wouldn't. Read the first post in the thread and then you'll see how possible it is...

10. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I would love to get Spiller and I think AJ is aware that if he replaced LT with Spiller, he would get the fans off his back!

We can always draft a Bigger back later or get one via UDFA..

..I saw this article someone wrote about Mason...don't know how accurate it is, but reading it doesn't make me feel so bad about him becoming a Charger..I diamond in the rough maybe?

I'm very excited about the San Diego Chargers new addition to the RB position. Two words: Marcus Mason. Why am I excited about this guy? If you look at any of his highlights from college until joining the NFL as a undrafted free agent for the Washington Redskins, then you'd realize the major upside in this athlete's game.

Truth is, I only watched him play for the Redskins because I am a huge Colt Brennan fan. As I watched the game, I couldn't help but notice a small RB that was making plays to include a touchdown catch during the NFL Hall of Fame game. Let me tell you what, this kid could run.

During his limited role in the Redskins games last year, he averaged four yards a carry. Although he opted out of the University of Illinois to play for Youngstown State, the reason couldn't be anymore clear, other than wanting to play. He didn't seem to care that it's a lower division of college football. The only other player that I know that did something similar is QB Joe Flacco.

Marcus averaged a beast 5.7 yards per carry, racking up 2,739 yards and 31 TD on 478 carries in two seasons for the Penguins. Of that 2,739 yards, he rushed 1,847 of those yards during his senior season. I noticed the way he played was hard-nose football for the Redskins.

A lot of people ask, "If he is so good, why didn't the Redskins start him?" The Redskins are going to start the players that they pay the most money; look at Jason Campbell. Colt Brennan outplayed Jason in the preseason. I know you're all going to say Colt played against a third string defense. Well, he played with a third string offense, too. If given the opportunity, I believe Colt would've burned the first string defense with a first string offense. I look at Marcus the same way.

I think Marcus will fit in with the way the Chargers run a passing type offense. Most of Marcus' yards during college came from the shotgun formation. The man could catch, run, and block. He's small, compact, and excellent in running screens and draw plays. He reminds me of the way the Ravens use Ray Rice.

Look for great things from Marcus this upcoming season, as the Chargers will continue to add more depth to the RB position.

11. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Don't think Mason will be our starter but he could very well replace Sproles once he gets traded (which if doesn't happen soon, will happen on draft day). Mason could become our 3rd down "scat back" and possibly a kick returner

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    As I said, our #28 pick and Sproles even with a 6th or 7th isn't getting us the 9ers pick. It would take our 1st this year, 1st next year and Sproles to move up that far

13. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I dunno.. if we give the 49ers our 1st and Sproles, they get their speed back/kick returner without having to waste a 1st round pick. Then they could use the 28th to go a different direction so they'd still have 2 first round picks plus a speed back.

14. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    If we moved up in the draft it would be to get an OT or defensive guy. I think Spiller might go #7 to the Browns.

15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    lets just say spiller is not one of the rb's we are targeting. I don't think if we had a top ten pick spiller would even be the pick.

There are other rb's that we could use more effecitively:yes:

16. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    if anyone wants Sproles they have to give us a 1st & a 3rd thats his price why would the bolts give up their 1st when the dont have too:icon_shrug: if the niners want him they know the cost but im sure the bolts would just tsake the 1st:tup: and on the 3rd too

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No team is paying a 1st and 3rd for Sproles, and despite what AJ says, they don't want to pay him over $7 mil for touch the ball 10 times a game.

We are going to be lucky to get a 1st for him, let alone a 1st and 3rd. I doubt we get anything higher than a 2nd, and I would jump all over it if we could get a high 2nd