1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How to win the SuperBowl the AJ Smith way???

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by loweezy, Dec 22, 2007.

1. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I'm really curious what the rift between Marty and AJ was. AJ always noted that he and Marty had different philosophies on how to win a Super Bowl. Is it coincidental that the Chargers are playing their best football as the season closes? I hardly think that the team and it's coaches would jeopardize their playoff hopes by tanking games early. But if they could somehow manage to win playing basic football, and saving the best for last, maybe this was AJ's ideology, which was not shared by Marty. AJ always talked about making it into the tournament and going into the tournament hot. LT touched up on that point during this past week. The players are finally buying in.

Is it really that farfetched? I'm not saying that this is some big conspiracy, where Norv and AJ would purposely hold this team back. But perhaps, the strategy of playing fairly "vanilla" and moving to more complex schemes while limiting the chances of being exposed is ultimately part of the BIGGER picture: winning a championship.

The pieces fit. Marty was a one play at a time kind of guy. It's not hard pressed for me to believe why the players took some time to adapt and buy in. If indeed they were not doing what they were accustomed to doing (the Marty way), it's doesn't surprise me that the guys weren't all on board. Last year the Chargers lost a playoff game they should have won against a team that gameplanned against everything the Chargers did all year. Granted, the Chargers did give that game away, but if indeed this is AJ's recipe for post season success, how can you gameplan for something that you haven't seen a team do? Our team is just now picking it up and getting back to what they did last year and hopefully saving the best for last. :bolt:

2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I was discussing just that with Elvis the other day:tup:

If it works i'm a believer:icon_toast:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Talk to me in a month.

4. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Why not now? The running game is picking up. The defense is putting the pressure on opposing offenses. Both of which were concerns early on. Something has changed and it sounds a lot like what AJ preaches. Get into the tourney riding a hot streak. Regardless of what the end result is, we find ourselves in a similar situation as last year: in the tournament. The Chargers did ride into the post season on an extremely high note last year as well, but their success was no secret to the rest of the NFL. Pressure up front from the front 7, and pound the rock on offense. Belichick's answer was the spread offense.. still shoulda lost, but good ol billy had the best gameplan against what he knew was coming.

5. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Do you really think this is a new concept? All of us are wondering the same thing. I have stated multiple times, "Maybe AJ was right".

The team seems to be peaking at the right time. It's not an epiphany. In a month we'll know if it's real or not. Welcome to the party and enjoy the ride.

6. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Not at all, but others referred to it as some sort of conspiracy. Epiphany? Hardly... like I said, regardless of the end result, philosophies don't always translate into the right way of doing things.

I just wish I could pick AJ's brain and know the real differences that he and Marty shared.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Fuk Marty.

AJ IS GOD

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This was postulated by yours truly around Week 4 of the season and coattailed by MTL.

Conspiracy was a word used for effect. :)

A.J. has always said "we have a plan".

We ran up the middle until we lulled them and ourselves to sleep and then BAM. Wait for the players to rise up and play to their levels while the coaches make them earn their keep and there you go.

The players had to realize that it was on them and not necessarily the coaches.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I disagree with a lot of what you are saying. No doubt we are playing better, and the players do seem to be buying into Norv. But all this team has proven to me is that we can manhandle inferior opponents. I have yet to see consistency on both sides of the ball against a playoff-caliber team.

As for New England last year, I think the opposite: Marty went away from what had been working for us all year. Had he stayed true to our regular season identity, we would have beaten the Pats.

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    We did stay true. There was nothing un-Marty like in that game.

Nada.

I think that has become a catch all excuse phrase.

11. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Yeah, Marty was notorious for going for those first quarter 4th and elevens.

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    And if Marty doesn't go for it, he is notorious for not playing outside the box - again. :yes:

Then there was the fumble-rooski which was notorious as well.

The season was full of nefarious acts that were so un-Marty-like.....imagine that.

13. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Interesting how he didn't wear a headset the entire year until that NE game...

I'm not going to argue with you about your butt-baby Marty. The guy is a playoff choking fool, and he proved it again last year, end of story. Scoreboard.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Tony, don't forget Marty he had the best running back in the league not doing anything in the second half.

5-13
    0-2 in SD

Fuk Marty

15. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Oh OK. So you're another one of those guys that discounts wins against inferior opponents. See the thing is, if a lot of the teams we beat are inferior, it means you are on another plateau than them, and that you SHOULD be winning those games. So what's wrong with doing what is expected?

As for New England last year, did it ever occur to you that the Chargers were forced to play a different type of game? Tom Brady in the shotgun and spread offense all game negated our passrush. No one can explain why the game went down like it did, all the while nearly none of us really give credit to new england for winning this game because our team choked it away. That may very well be the circumstances, but at the same time, the game should have never been as close as it was.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    That was also a Phillips failing - how many times last year did we see third and longs, four pass rushers and a team get what was needed to get the first down? Hell we saw that alot here too with Cottrell (who I suppose is a phillips acolyte). We took away their running game to such an extent that we should've been blitzing and pounding away at Brady like there's no tomorrow. If you know your opponent is so one dimensional then it allows you to maximize your defensive planning because you know what your opponent is doing 90-95% of the time. At least now Cottrell, even if we're not getting the sacks we used to, is blitzing more people on third down.

As far as marty and that playoff game goes, there's a big *** difference between unconventional and stupid

Unconventional is using trick plays and reverses
    Stupid is going for 4th and 11 when your in field goal range in the first quarter. There's no reason to do that especially so early.
    Unconventional is using your passing game more when your running game is the bread and butter
    Stupid is not using your running back at all especially considering he was slashing through the Patriot defense.

17. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    That's so last year, Clinton Hart is now Hornblower's belle of the ball. :yes:

18. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Isn't that what the Pats are right now? Their running game is non existent, and no one has had the answer for them all season.

19. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    ...and you can run on them too. They are not built for bad weather and are vulnerable to a big upset in the Razor this year. :yes:

20. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Jacksonville is going to take it to them. I really think that either the Jags or our beloved Bolts are going to knock the cheating Pats out.

21. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Not according to Tony Dungy. In his autobiogrophry he stated that as he watched the game, paraphrasing, that he was amazed that Marty went away from what got him there and that he thought to himself, “Come on Marty, do what you do.”

Dungy’s philosophy is to do what you do, only do it better each time

22. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    And for ignoring LT and the running game when protecting a lead in the second half.

Trumpie, it was plain to me that Marty coached our team differently against New England than he had during the regular season.

Straight Martyball would've won that game, I am sure of it.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Marty is ancient history - time to let it go. He'll either remain retired or go somewhere else & not win playoff games. That's his MO.

I don't think that there's any big plan to hold back on the playbook or keep any tricks in the bag. The players & coaches are finally getting on the same page & gaining confidence in each other which equals better success. If this is happening at the right time, so be it.

I'm still waiting for the first recent playoff win before I crown anyone as a genius.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Marty is ancient history - time to let it go. He'll either remain retired or go somewhere else & not win playoff games. That's his MO. He apparently suffers from sever mental flatulence in times of stress.

I don't think that there's any big plan to hold back on the playbook or keep any tricks in the bag. The players & coaches are finally getting on the same page & gaining confidence in each other which equals better success. If this is happening at the right time, so be it.

I'm still waiting for the first recent playoff win before I crown anyone as a genius.

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I have a hard time believing AJ would draw it up quite this way, way tooooo many ups and downs this year. We seem to be peaking at the right time though so I can't really complain.:icon_toast:

26. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Nothing wrong with beating up on the teams you should beat.

This Charger squad is more talented than last year's; when we have prohibitive physical advantage, we can really get on a roll.

My concern come playoff time is how inept we have looked on offense against good defenses. That concern hasn't gone away simply because we came back against a gassed Tennessee d-line, or put up 50+ against the Lions.

Again, not discounting those accomplishments. Just concerned about how we match up against all the good teams in the AFC.

27. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    It's funny, Marty had one team that had to play a first place schedule and that team followed up a divisional championship with a 9-7 record and a third place finish. Norv has a first place schedule in his first year and has repeated as AFC West champs and a possible 3 seed, yet people continue to ride Morty's jock. All Morty did for us was prove he could win with a 3rd or last place schedule.

For as frustrating as the year has been at times, it was 10x better than 2005 when the circumstances were very comparable.

28. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I agree. I'm not riding Marty's jock, and I am warming up to Norv Turner.

Just saying that I was much more confident last year. That said, the playoffs will be a blast. All of us fans should appreciate this time; consecutive playoff appearances haven't come around too often around here.

29. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Absolutely agree. Comparisons are being drawn to the present offense and Air Corryell. People knew what Fouts and Co. were going to do each and every play of each and every game, and nothing was held back once the season started. They still couldn't stop it 90% of the time. Fouts was cursed with a mediocre defense most of the time. Louie, Big Hands and Dean were drafted by Prothro, after that offense got priority. Without an video archive, I have nothing but n-grams that make the Air Corryell comparisons fairly accurate to me. It's a system that relies on recognizing and reacting quickly to the way the defense shakes out on a given play and that takes time to master when a team first starts to use it. The running game is different because Muncie was a different kind of back. The full system took time to implement then as now, so the slow start wasn't some subversive plot, just the natural evolution into a more complex life form. The one place where Intelligent Design actually means something real.