1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How would Tony Romo have fared under Norv Turner’s watch?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Jan 9, 2009.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    link

By RANDY GALLOWAY
    rgalloway@star-telegram.com

How would Tony Romo have fared under Norv Turner’s watch?

In a crowded media room a couple of Sundays ago in Philadelphia, the season-is-over exit interview for Tony Romo was not going well.

Actually, it was a ridiculous disaster, so much so that Romo’s postgame words were more damning than even his play had been that day.

After one of the most disgusting team performances in Dallas Cowboys history, Tony was being himself, and that’s the problem. It wasn’t the time or the place for a too-cool-for-school attitude, or the flower-child sermon on peace, love, happiness, I’m OK, you’re OK, it’s all OK.

It ain’t OK. OK?

Anyway, I just watched and listened. The only temptation was to offer Romo a helpful comment instead of a question. The comment:

"Tony, for your own good, why don’t you shut the bleep up?"

Obviously, public criticism wildfired on Romo because of those postgame comments, and as with the Cabo trip of a year ago, most of the disgust is based on perception. The current perception of Romo is worse than the reality, but what he still fails to understand is perception becomes reality.

Tony, of course, has reached the lowest point, by far, of what had been one heck of a quick and good quarterbacking ride in the NFL. Where he goes from here, even a confirmed Romosexual such as myself is struggling for answers.

But I was also having another Romo thought while hearing his postgame silliness in Philly, a thought that cropped up repeatedly in December, and also earlier in the season.

What would or could Norv Turner have done differently with Tony?

I didn’t call for confirmation, but here’s a bet that Troy, Michael, Emmitt, Moose, Nate, etc., meaning all the still-local Norv offensive disciples from another Valley Ranch era, were also having that thought.

Ask Troy. No one in the league is more respected for his work with QBs, including the mental angle of the job, than Turner. That doesn’t mean in a long NFL career, he’s been 100 percent successful in this area, but the odds are good.

Two years ago, Jerry Jones had a head-coaching decision to make: Norv or Wade Phillips.

The push from here was, yes, personal. Knowing Turner, I thought he was easily the man for the job, despite all the questions about his head coaching ability. No one doubts Norv’s expertise in any offensive area, but as the HC, sure, there were hecklers.

(Go ahead, compare Wade with Turner’s two seasons of work as San Diego’s head coach, getting to the AFC title game last season, a playoff win over the Colts last week, a current 12-1 record from December and beyond, and an amazing job of keeping together a team that was 4-8 five weeks ago but playing in Pittsburgh this weekend for the right to return to the conference championship round.)

Jerry, however, made his decision, and to this day, the Wade cloud hangs over the Cowboys. My thinking, then and now, was this represented a hire that should have been about the future of Jones’ franchise — that was/is Romo — but Jones decided to put Tony’s future in the hands of Jason Garrett, which appeared to be a good thing a year ago, and a mess after this season.

Tony obviously regressed as a quarterback, and no matter the reasons, Garrett has to take the hit for that. Meanwhile, I’m still wondering ...

What would Norv have done with or for Romo, who at the moment is wandering in the football wilderness?

But in talking to Turner this week, that question was withheld, mainly because he’s got more important business at the moment — all playoff teams do. And out of fairness, his close friendship with Garrett is also a factor.

Then again, Turner is in charge of a young, talented and headstrong quarterback. Philip Rivers had much more draft day pedigree than Romo, but has suffered through some of the same down periods. Like this season.

The Chargers struggled through a miserable November, losing to the Colts, Steelers and Falcons by a combined 10 points. The record was 4-8 at that point, and the fans and some media in San Diego were screaming for Turner’s head. (If Wade thinks he’s got it tough here, Norv took a beating less than a year after going to the conference title game.)

But a major factor in the Chargers not quitting on Turner, and sweeping December, and getting to the playoffs, was No. 1, a Denver collapse in the division, and No. 2, Rivers rebounded.

Turner, however, disagreed with "rebounded."

"He really wasn’t playing that badly; he would just make a bad play at the wrong time, particularly in the red zone," Norv said. "If you were watching Philip in the Sunday night highlights, it looked worse than it was.

"But we were struggling as a team, and Philip was trying to do too much. He thought he had to have a touchdown every time we got down there, and frankly, some of the plays I was calling also indicated the same frustration."

Norv talked both himself and Rivers off that ledge. At the moment, he’s got the hottest quarterback in the league and a team that at the end of November refused to accept an "out." Turner was taking all the heat.

If the Chargers had quit on him, the players were not going to be blamed.

"Philip understands the process, on and off the field," Norv said. "He’s a leader, and he’s a winner. What I stressed more than anything, particularly during what we were going through this season, is December and January are when the game is played. That’s when you make your name."

The Romo résumé in December and January is, well, deeply lacking.

The same goes for the Cowboys as a team, and Wade as a coach.

And as Rivers told USA Today this week: "We’ve got a head coach that hung in there with us. When it was 4-8, it was rough. He didn’t flinch. I think that filtered down to the guys."

I’m still wondering, and Jerry, you should join me on this:

What would Norv have done with Romo?

2. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I don't think he would have done as well in Dallas as he has in San Diego. Not because of Romo, but because of Jerry Jones and the incredibly dysfunctional environment in Dallas. In San Diego, we have a lot guys who don't act like they're in high school, unlike Dallas.

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I am glad that we will never know!

We have a Quarterback in Philip Rivers!

4. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Norv Turner has had a lot of success with QBs. Tony Romo obviously needs someone to help develop him further.

You can see Rivers develop as a QB and in two years he has become much more developed, mature, and level headed.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    So much for those who were preaching that Norv had lost the team and that "ALL" the player's hated him.