1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How would we feel if we were in colts fans shoes right now?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 14fouts, Dec 29, 2009.

1. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Just wondering if it was us last week instead of colts who had a chance to go undefeated and pulled starters in 3rd qtr with a small lead? I would be rather upset myself especially when it comes to benching healthy players, also Peyton Manning has never missed a game or been injured in his entire career

2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I'd probably be pissed. Not that you have to go undefeated to win the trophy, but they could have easily beat the Jets. If we were 14-0 I'd like the same effort to win the last two as the first two.

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The Super Bowl is more important than 16-0.

I bet Giants fans are more happy with the outcome of the 2007 season than Patriots fans are.

Just because Peyton's never been injured doesn't mean he's impervious to injury in the future.

Caldwell's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

If he left the starters in and a key player or two got hurt he'd be getting scorned by the media just as much now for leaving stars in in a meaningless game.

4. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Exactly- theres no way they lose that game if starters play even most of the rest of game. They kept showing them on sidelines (Manning, Wayne, Clark, etc and they didnt look happy at all) Also they had great chance in last game against a bills team who has nothing to play for.

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The Jets have the #1 ranked defense in the NFL. I wouldn't say there's no way they win the game.

I wouldn't bet on them, but it's not like they're the Lions or something.

6. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Wouldn't it be funny if the Jets play the Colts in the playoffs and the Jets win... :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I would have shot myself a looooong time ago.

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The Pats losing the SB that year had nothing to do with them going for 16-0.

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I'd love it because then we'd host the Jets in the AFCCG, as they would be the #6 seed when the playoffs started. :yes:

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Doesn't negate my points.

11. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Playing Brees in a meaningless week 16 w no playoffs was dumb. Almost as dumb as what the colts did.

They could get hurt? No ****, they play football for a living. They could get hurt on the way home, or on the sideline tripping over wires.

It was obvious the players wanted to play, (and yes they most likely would have won) so let them, they earned the right to play for something they worked all season to be in the position for.

Manning couldve got hurt the first snap, but he didn't. He couldve got hurt the last 11 years, but he hasn't.

Tough situation, let them play wins by a hair.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    agreed

Right.

But the odds of getting hurt playing a full contact sport against the best players of the game the nation has to offer hardly compares to the odds of tripping over a wire in your home.

I can agree with this part.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I don't think it was dumb at all. No playoffs but it would have been our first time having back to back seasons with double digit wins in over a decade. Not to mention, over the Donkos. Everybody wanted that win regardless.

What the Poines HC did was stupid. Very!!!
    If they got a big lead and he pulled everybody in in the third quarter, that would make perfect sense but that's not what happened.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    If it wasn't for the Rivers factor and the opportunity to see what he can do in a real game that's otherwise meaningless I'd agree with you about Brees.

15. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    It sort of does. Players can get injured in any game. If you are a great team, you have sufficient depth to overcome it.

We have a quality backup behind Rivers. I trust Volek to win a game for us more than I would trust half the league's starting QBs.

If your starters get injured going for 16-0, the team loses in the postseason if you don't have quality depth.

If your starters get injured in the postseason, they'll still lose in the postseason because of the same lack of quality depth.

Every player, current, and retired, said they would have wanted to go for "immortality". 19-0. No regular season game is "meaningless", even if a team has already locked up the #1.

16. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

You can blame Marty for that. He had a clause in his contract that paid him hundreds of thousands of dollars in bonus money any time the team won 10 games in a season. That's why he played Brees in the final game, when the team was already out of the playoffs. Marty wanted that 10th win. He felt Brees was the best chance to get him that moneymaking 10th win, instead of starting Rivers like AJ and Dean had hoped, so they could gauge how he would perform.

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Right. But if they get injured in the playoff game then so be it, but they're playing a do or die game in the playoffs.

Win, Lose, or Draw in week 16 when you have the #1 seed you're still in line for the Super Bowl (re: end goal)

And I think Curtis Painter displayed to the world why the Colts do not want Peyton Manning getting injured on Sunday.

18. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The Jets played a great game too guys. Ryan brought a lot into that game and let it show on the field. I had the Jets pegged to win this one just listening to how each coach was talking about their approach and it sounded to me like Ryan wanted Manning to be forced out. Caldwell made the right call taking the starters out of a heated game. 16-0 and the Superbowl may not be mutually exclusive but in this sport, avoiding injuries is all part of the game. If I were a Colts fan, I might be upset but thinking "it's for the Lombardi, all for the Lombardi."

19. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Geez, and I thought you guys were talking about horseshoes, I have no idea how those would feel...

Pointy :icon_shrug:

20. Boltfan7998

Boltfan7998 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah I'd be mad if we lost because of it but then again I'd be glad none of our starters got hurt. The Colts are going to the playoffs no matter what so their fans shouldn't be complaining too much. But hey I guess we all know now that all the Colts really have is Manning who wins games for them, Painter's a freaking joke! God forbid Peyton get's hurt or they'll be one and done thanks to the Bolts! :abq1:

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Tough call either way as a fan. 16-0 sure looks great in the box score and does afford some bragging right's, but it ain't the Super Bowl.

If I'm choosing between a 16-0 season or the Lombardi, I'll take the ring. As for Brees and his injury, it was stupid for Marty to play him for any reason. In the end, if true about Marty and his bonus and Brees to an extent, selfishness brought both men down but the damage had already been done.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'd feel like we were being a bunch of pissy little whiners, just as I feel about the Colts' fans.

23. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Exactly- if colts veteran backup Sorgi who has proven to be pretty decent over the years wasnt hurt- I would agree maybe when they pulled manning, but to throw a rookie Painter who has never taken a snap in regular season in against one of the best def in the nfl, I dont agree with that.

24. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    What I didn't understand is why did they even start Manning? If they were so worried about injury why not just start the backups and let them play the game?

About playing Brees in the last game of 2005. I wanted Rivers to start the game to give him some real game experience. Remember, even if Brees had not been injured we still had a problem and I think AJ would have tried to do some kind of tag and trade with Brees, so Rivers would probably have been our starting QB in any case for 2006.

25. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    At the time, starting Brees in that (yes it was meaningless) meaningless game 16 was very stupid regardless whose fault. We knew we had a lot on our table in the offseason pertaining to the qb position. We didn't know what we had in Rivers, it also led to us getting nothing in return for Brees. Very stupid waste of a lot of things.

26. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    bingo....

We ****ing hate that the Patriots and their fans were making such a big deal about undefeated right? It was disgusting classless and ultimately bit them in the ***. Right now Colts fans (who are usually pretty good people in my experience), are being even douchy-er than that. There is such a chip on their shoulders to somehow do something, anything better than the Patriots... and this was an opportunity to do it.

This has nothing to do with the '72 Dolphins or any of the bullshit they're using to justifying their cry-babying. This is all about one simple fact... Payton may have gotten his ring, but Indy still plays ***** when they face NE and San Diego in the post season. :yes: That fear and insecurity is just being collectively projected on to the decision to pull their starters.

I'm very embarassed for the Colts fan base.

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Not really. Had the Ponies kept their starters in, I don't think they'd stand a snowball's chance in Hell!!!

28. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I have to question the importance of a Super Bowl trophy in comparison to an undefeated season in the eyes of the Colts. How many people here can name the winners of every Super Bowl off the top of their head? How many people here can name off all the undefeated teams in history off the top of their head? The Colts have won a title within the last five years, as some team wins it every single year. Going completely undefeated is something that I feel overshadows that, it is not something that is done every year and yes, it does include winning the Super Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I wish I've had a dollar for everytime I've heard the "16-0 is more rare than Super Bowl victories" argument over the past week.

Give me a break. You know what else is also more rare? 0-16. I guess the Lions are more distinguished in history than all the Super Bowl winners!

All that is is rationalizing. The Super Bowl trumps 16-0 any year and every year.

If you still get 16-0 while putting your team in the best position to win the Super Bowl (re: end goal) then great, but if you don't get 16-0 who cares?

30. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    YOU COULD GET HURT WASHING YOUR DOGGIE!!!!