1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How would you react?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Electric Chair, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    My wife just landed a new job opening the Hard Rock Hotel in the Gaslamp. It's a very exciting move for her career, but I am just crushed by it. Why? Because we had to cancel our two week vacation to Costa Rica over Thanksgiving for it. We have been planning this trip for a year. Her new job doesn't give any vacation time for another year, at which time the plane tix will be expired. Add to that the 25%-50% cancellation fees at the hotels, and we will wind up eating about $1,500. Ouch. It's also not just the money, but the build up and excitement of the last year has been ripped out from under us (me in particular). I tried to put on a happy face when she told me, but let's face it- not easy. Having lived through other hotel openings with her, I also know it also means I won't see her very much over the next 6 months, which sucks as well (thank god it's football season).

I am sure that I will get over this disappointment (maybe), but man does this suck. How would you react? Am I being a total selfish dick expressing anything other than joy for this exciting move for her?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get money back on non-refundable plane tickets bought through a travel site? I used a credit card, so I was going to contact them and see if there was something I could do to contest it, but I doubt it as this policy is in the fine print on the purchase agreement.

I feel like I got punched in the stomach. Pura Vida. :icon_sad:

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Wow, tough call. But of course I would consder that my wife will be around for more Coasta Rica trips and congradulate her and support her with all of my heart...

While crying inwardly...:lol:

3. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Yes, but then again you have to wonder if when that opportunity arises will circumstances be the same? We have no kids and some expendable income NOW. No telling if that will hold true in another year or two. That's probably the most disappointing thing.

Oh well.

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I feel ya bro. Sorry I dont see an easy answer...

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    If Momma ain't happy, then nobody's happy.

Paint a smile on your face.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    ZACTLY!:yes: :tup:

7. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Yeah ..... send her a postcard too.

I've always wanted to go to Costa Rica.

8. Monkeybacon

Monkeybacon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21

I would go with the Leisure plan. If she's going to be busy, maybe she won't notice. Of course I am a selfish dick. Lots of monkeys in CR BTW.:tup:

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    very much does suck but sometimes you just do have to bite the bullet, there are always other times and opportunities for vacations and maybe you can reschedule as opposed to just cancel period (some places are very willing to do such). I can't imagine a chance to work at the hard rock like that will come up ever again.

10. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Goll, that is just a great idea... I think your wife would support it as well. You should take leisure on the trip with you... You guys would have a blast. No TVs, No laptops... Just enjoy yourselves and have a guys trip.

11. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Does Costa Rica have legal sports book? Hookers? Wacky tobaccy?

Ya' gotta have all of leisure's vices available.

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    That's a toughie, EC.

Assuming you don't have any kids to take care of, leisure's plan does have merit.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    First things first...
    You are NOT being a selfish dick. As you said "It's a very exciting move for her career." So obviously she's happy and you're happy for her but still, that's a lot to give up!!!!
    With that added to it, you won't see her much for the next six months but those six months will pass faster than you think (speaking through experience of a similar situation.)

Suggestion...
    Use the plane tix within the year. If she can get a few days off, take an extended weekend trip some where. Hell, maybe plan a road trip this season with a buddy!!! :bolt:
    So you'll be out $1.5K... think of it as if she took a college semester and it landed her a kick *** job!!!! :tup:

14. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I am taking her to dinner tonite to celebrate... I think that I will try leisure's idea, but I will wait until after things get busy in her new job.

15. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    That is great. :yes:

But I'm still trying to figure out why it sucks that you won't see your wife much for 6 months.

:icon_shrug:

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Dood CR is the ****, but you totally did the right thing. It's totally natural for you to feel like you got punched in the stomach, and putting your best foot forward for the old lady is as much as you can be expected to do. :yes:

If she will still let you go you've got quite a woman. And give me a hollar.

17. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I have property and do bus in Costa Rica PM me with infor on plane tix and hotels maybe I can help you...

• Like Like x 1
  18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:tup: :tup:

otherwise EBAY

???

:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Just curious but how long had she been applying for the job?

Do you know any travel agents that are pretty good friends that might swing something under the table?

Or as has been suggested ebay or craigslist? IMO getting your money back probably won't be too tough but the punch in the stomach might be. Good news is she's gonna be making more money (I assume) and there will be another probably better vacation in the future. And if you're planning to have kids stack paper because it's gone once the little suckers start popping out. :icon_eek:

I probably didn't help much but good luck Mark. :bolt:

20. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243