1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

How'd the rookies perform?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Osmekaman, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Great win, even though it was pre-season.

Read the reports, seen the stats and watched the NFL video highlights. Other than the scoring plays, this tells me next to hee-haw.

Can the guys watching live at the stadium or on the telly tell us how the rookies performed?

BOLTS RULE :abq1:

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Better than theirs. :icon_tease:

Cason - looked pretty sharp. Made a couple of very nice plays showing good technique, got beat on a few. He's right where I would expect him to be at this point.

Hester - He's a tough, slow white boy, but he's got a nose for the end zone & doesn't shy away from contact. He's a keeper.

Thomas - Thought he showed some good toughness between the tackles, had a nice reception/run. He'll be part of the LT BUBC group.

If Clark played, I didn't notice him. Same with Tribble. I was a little drunk - will watch again on NFLN tomorrow.

3. Golfboy

Golfboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I watched the game from Chicaog on NFL Network - missed the Cowboy's first drive due to earlier game running long.
    I think Pinnock is in trouble because of Hester - he looked very good and made PacMan miss him, no contact, on a run around end.

Cason broke up a nice pass, but I think in regular season they would have called pass interference on the play as he went over the back to get the ball, and left hand was on the receiver. Didn't matter, it was a great pass defense.

Clearly our team is very deep, which bodes well if there are injuries like last year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Cason - played nervous and like a rookie. Had one good play but got toasted by the Cowboys first team

Hester - not bad but idk if that was much of a test, to run from 2 yds out or so. Good first attempt though

Thomas - solid, but his running style is the same as Hester's, so who goes where?

Tolbert - looks a little Lo-Neal like, one trick pony. Good desire though.

Mark Jones - he very well might force a PR battle

Tribble/Clark - idk

5. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Hey cowturd fan, let Anteater back out!! :icon_huh:

6. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I thought Cason didn't do to bad. He did have a couple of missed tackles, but for a rookie I felt he stuck to who he was defending pretty good. (Timing off just a little)

I sure like the stiff arm Hester did against Jones.

7. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    I see Applewhite and Oliver got on the tackle sheet. Did either look as though they belonged out there?

BTW, who was in the QB's face at Jammers INT?

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Hester = A
    Cason = B
    Thomas = C+

Sidenotes....
    Withrow = F
    Pass D = B-
    Run D = C-
    ST's = A+

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    :icon_huh:

I have high standards and I saw Cason get schooled at least twice in the first half by the Cowboys #1 team. That might be rough but still that's who he is running against come Carolina

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He did. He also made a couple of good deflections & some solid tackles. I'd say he's about where I hoped he'd be at this point - shows a lot of potential & should make the nickel position.

Oliver is a safety. :yes:

11. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Oliver is a safety. :yes:[/QUOTE] :icon_huh:

I know Oliver's a safety....how did he play?

12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I'm pretty sure that was Tucker.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    :icon_huh:

I know Oliver's a safety....how did he play?[/QUOTE]

No, I meant that's where he belongs vs. playing CB. Just making a statement - sorry for the confusion.

he made a few good hits - didn't notice anything outstanding on D. On ST he forced a fumble which Siler recovered. :tup:

14. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I thought I saw Oliver give up a few plays, but also make a few nice plays and at least one good looking tackle:icon_shrug:

He and thje other rooks played well on ST I thought.

course I was kinda drunk

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Me, too, & I didn't see the first 7 mins. courtesy of NFLN. :tdown:

I'll watch it again tomorrow.

16. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Oliver was completely out of position got burned badly on the long TD run by the cowboys. Other than that one play I didn't notice Oliver much, either good or bad.

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't think Clark makes the team, maybe PS but even that I'm not so sure about. The one play I remember he got pushed around and that was against 3rd stringers.

18. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Oliver forced the fumble on ST that led to our first score, so kudos on that

19. TheLash

Ratings:
    +715

wow not even any love for the ST fumble he caused in the 1st quarter:icon_shrug: you're a hard man Thump:lol:

20. TheLash

Ratings:
    +715
    I saw the Illustrated Man (Erik Robertson) out there in the second half, and don't recall seeing him get blown up, but I can be a poor judge of line play

21. TheLash

Ratings:
    +715
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2c42zpoiBew&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2c42zpoiBew&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

found some highlites

22. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    big thing to take out of this is that our backups outclassed their backups

23. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Straight to the face though, won't that cause a flag this year? I did love it though as well as when he lowered his head and flattened someone on another run.

I thought Marcus Thomas ran extremely hard, dragging tacklers and moving the chains. I like his intensity.

Mark Jones looked very quick on his punt returns. His speed sure won't hurt us no matter where he plays and when.

I didn't like the way the Cowboys ran the ball on the Bolts. People missed tackles, took improper angles, just didn't look intense. Then again... it's only the first game of pre-season.

24. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    He's going to be running against the Cowboys' #1 team against Carolina? :icon_huh:

25. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Let's not forget this time last year people were bashing Cromartie and calling him a bust because he wasn't great in pre-season, and didn't dominate his rookie year.

**** unless you're a pro-bowler your rookie year you're a bust. Some people expect way too much out of rookies or young players.

• Like Like x 1
  26. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    QFT

These games mean absolutely nothing. We're not going to see a true first time O or D for anybody until the regular season. This week no AG, no LT, no TO, and vanilla play-calling on both sides. Reserve your judgments until the games count. :bolt:

27. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Agree that people can expect too much of rookies. We're all desperate to see AJ unearth another diamond.

However pointless pre-season games are for vets though, this is the fringe rookies only real chance at impressing enough to make the team.
    It might also tell us who's going to step up if someone gets injured.
    (I hope Tucker turns into a BEAST!)

28. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Only the idiots were saying that... and I mean the true idiots.

29. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah I ate a 20 piece bucket of Kentucky fried crow for bagging on the pick when we first got him.

Then I took this and started changing my tune..

[​IMG]

30. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Oliver did have one excellent play where he came up to the right side on the line at the last second, jumped the snap and ran Jones down from behind on the left side, about a 2 yard gain, I think.

• Like Like x 1