1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hue Jackson: “We are going to win the AFC West”

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Nutz&Boltz, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 4, 2011, 10:13 AM EDT

At a time when Rex Ryan is cutting back on the rah rah rhetoric, Raiders coach Hue Jackson has taken a page out of the Ryan motivational playbook.

When you get knocked down, ramp up the confidence to new levels. And throw in a bold quasi-guarantee.

“We’re not backing down from what the expectation is here by no stretch of the imagination. It’s not going to change,” Jackson said. “We’re going to win the AFC West. We’re going to do everything we can to get in the playoffs and go challenge for a Super Bowl. I am not backing down from that.”

The manner in which the Raiders have reached 2-2 actually makes us believe Jackson. Oakland’s effort was highly inconsistent in recent years. They could beat playoff teams, but lose to anyone.

Despite the 2-2 record, Oakland has played hard each week. Their run game is an enormous weapon. Jason Campbell has been steady. They only played one team they clearly “should” beat and handled Denver rather easily.

The tough early schedule continues this week in Houston. After that, they host the Browns, Chiefs, and Broncos. That gives Oakland a chance to get to the halfway mark at 5-3 and right in the mix of what should be a two-team AFC West race with San Diego.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
  3. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I am really starting to not like this guy.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    They are much improved over two seasons ago. However they still draw flags like scat draws flies. They will give away some games and you just make it harder on yourselves doing that.

5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Win a Superbowl? You have to go through San Diego, New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Houston, Buffalo, New York (again) and Tennessee first. All of the teams I mentioned will have at least 11 wins this year. Good luck Jokeland.

With that said, I think the AFC will shape up like this: 1. New England 2. Baltimore 3. San Diego 4. Houston 5 Buffalo 6. New York or Pittsburgh. The AFC is a tough nut to crack this year.

6. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Yawn. Bulletin board booshwash.

7. firebagfan

firebagfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    maybe Hue is referring to winning the AFC west by out duelling the 3 other teams (including us) they did that last year but still chiefs win the division. this year we will be the chiefs..........

8. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    You mean 1 and done? Not this year. I can't buy that.

9. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Well, he (Jackson) never claimed that they would be winning the AFC West this year. Or next year...for that matter.
    The only thing he is really going to win is a new job somewhere else after the Crypt Keeper bounces his arse out of town for not "just winning baby". Hue Shmue.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I do not put Baltimore that high up. Their D is the only part of their team to fear this season. Their O cant keep up.

11. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    The Ravens didn't impress Monday night. They won the game on defensive take-aways. The Jets looked worse.

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    And now Rex says the Jets are going to the "ground & pound" running game. I find that laughable.

13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Wasn't that Sunday Night?

He's lighting a fire in the team's *** to help the go a little faster/stronger next time or whatever. I don't have a problem with this. The Raiders aren't the doormat they were the past 7 or so years they're a physical team. I'm almost certain will have a division take all game in Oakland in the end of the season. Hopefully not but it's a good possibility with both teams difficult schedules.

14. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    You must be a Raydur fan. You also stated the Bolts would lose to the Dolfins a few days ago.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Raiders do concern me because of their physicality but Patriots showed how to beat them - take away the run game and force Campbell and their collection of 'receivers' to beat you.

16. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    I like it. This team needs some confidence and some type of identity/swagger. Enough pussy-footing, yeah I said it! :p

17. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Yes, because choosing against the Chargers makes me Raider fan? How dumb.

Pretty much this. Hopefully our run stopping will get better when we met up in Nov.

18. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Is he trading both Green and LT?........ that's what it would take........ #imjustsaying

19. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    No, it's just that you are an overly pessimistic Chargers fan. There's a clear cut difference between pessimism and being realistic.

20. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
  21. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    McFadden is pretty good. Campbell is average at best. D-line is tough at times, but the rest of the D sucks. All that doesn't equate to winning the west. At best I see them winning 4-5 more games.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Unfortunately, at least 1 of those wins will be against us.

23. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Still won't be enough to win the west or a wild-card spot. I'm also cool with splitting the series.

24. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Raiders won't sniff a win against us. You heard it here first.

• Like Like x 1
  25. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    **** THE RAIDERS!

• Like Like x 2
  26. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The Raiders are getting way too much respect. Their defensive back 7 is atrocious. Their QB sucks. Their coach can be as delusional as he wants.

27. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    N. Turner asked about Hue Jackson's AFC West prediction. Turner: "I was brought up in a different era. It's new to me, all the predictions."

• Like Like x 1
  28. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    and in other news- pigs will fly before the raiders ever win another AFC west title