1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Huffington Post piece on Merriman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Mar 29, 2010.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Shawne Merriman Doesn't Rule Out WWE

During a momentary twist-off of the salary cap, NFL GMs are giddily wheeling and dealing like a garage full of fantasy football geeks on draft day. There's no telling what might happen next as typically tight-fisted clubs like the Bears have gone on a spree while characteristically profligate spenders like the Redskins have stood pat. I asked one player who has been the subject of some speculation, San Diego All Pro Linebacker Shawne Merriman, if all this NFL musical chairs is getting to him.

How do like all this wild no-salary-cap spending that's going on?

It's kind of a bind that everybody who came in my year got into. It's about 212 players. We just gotta deal with it and hope for the best. End of the day it's about playing football.

Do you think one of the things that got so out of whack was that owners were paying rookies too much?

I think so. Because whenever a guy comes out of the draft and is unproven and gets that type of money and then you have guys who are proven in the league who aren't getting the same type of money, it creates a problem not just in the locker room but in what we're going through right now with the CBA (collective bargaining agreement). This whole thing is a money issue. That's what it's about. If those problems had already been fixed who knows where we'd be at right now.

When you see prized veterans like Ladainian Tomlinson, Brian Westbrook and Thomas Jones getting cut for essentially money reasons, how does it make you feel?

It's a part of the business. I'm one of the few that understands that. I'm just here to play football. If I find a five-year deal, my job is to perform for five years. Of course, I'd like to finish out my career with one team but that's not how it is. How it is is it's a business, and that takes precedence over where I want to be.

Then let's talk business. Antonio Cromartie, Ladainian Tomlinson - two former Chargers teammates of yours with Pro Bowl resumes - recently signed with the New York Jets. When are you headed to New York?

Let me tell you something it'd be great to play out there. I'm an East Coast kid. So to be back out on the east coast would be great. I love the San Diego weather and winning, but it'd be great to play on the East Coast.

Let's just keep this between us, but which team under no circumstances would you not want to join?

(long pause) I'm happy where I'm at.

Amidst the debate over new overtime rules maybe the players could benefit. Here's a proposal for the NFLPA: Just like it is for most other Americans if you work OT you get paid time-and-a-half.

We know that won't be the case.

Doesn't that make sense? You play an extra 15 minutes you should get paid extra.

It would make sense if they took away two pre-season games and added two to the regular season and we got paid for those. Now that would make a lot of sense.

All this free agency, players moving around, collective bargaining - it must make you think about how you want your career to end. I read a few weeks ago about Allen Iverson finding out on the same day that an injury ended his season and likely career and his wife filed for divorce. Can you think of worse last day at work than that?

No it doesn't get too much worse than that. But I don't think in that way. My thoughts are all always positive. I don't worry about my career after football. I'm still one of the only active players to have had my own TV show, pro football talk on FOX. I had several radio deals with Clear Channel, and still do. I enjoy talking about the game that I love playing. I'll be doing much more of that when I'm done with football as a player.

I read on your twitter site, www.twitter.com/shawnemerriman, that you're into the WWE. Promise me you won't go into professional wrestling.

No, I just like kicking ***. I don't know about the wrestling thing so much. It's a possibility though. It's been there for while.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Stupid *******.

Basically saying he doesn't want to be here.

3. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Merriman is overrated... yet I still think he is a good player and I would like to see him sign a long term deal. I think he still has some "lights out" in him

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,417
    Seriously? This is a lead in to a question in an interview for a newspaper article? :lol:

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,417
    Right. because they're not compensated enough with their multi million dollar contracts. :lol:

6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    It's the Huffington Post.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    He also said he is happy where he is at.

Look, we all know there appears to not be alot of love lost between he and AJ. Having said that imho Merriman has been very restrained when it comes to questions about his future. Privately he might feel different but at least publicly he has said he is happy in SD and would not mind playing out his career in the one city/team.

I just hope he comes back to something like his 2006 form and we franchise him for 2011, that way we should probably get his best 2 years out of him and then let him go East Coast if that is where he goes.

If he does not perform in 2010 then all bets are off of course.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :beat: Why you gotta hate?
    Pissing in the cheerios again...

Works both ways, don't it?

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is what you got out of this one?

"Let's just keep this between us, but which team under no circumstances would you not want to join?

(long pause) I'm happy where I'm at. "

I got that he knows his days here are numbered no matter how much he wants to stay

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Thats a stupid answer to that question. When somebody asks....'where DON'T you want to be'....you don't say "I'm happy where I'm at." Thats a non answer, thats avoiding the question, thats basically leaving every door open!

In short he's saying...."I don't care where I go as long as I get my money."

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,417
    What did you get out of this?

12. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I take that as, don't burn any bridges because you never know where you will end up. He doesn't know what his future holds, whether signing "the best" free agent contract he can get or being traded to a team, I think he was smart to say that.

13. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    :no:

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    mountains out of mole hills

15. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    :icon_toast:

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    It was definitly smart not to burn any bridges. But if you read the rest of the article he practically blew his load over the prospect of playing on the East Coast.

He can take or leave San Diego, he has no committment to the team or his teamates, he has a committment to his wallet....as is proved by his choice to show up in the wrestling ring. The guy is a dumbass, if we can get a 1st round pick for him or package him and move up to get Dan Williams AJ better take it.

17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Wait a minute...

He has zero commitment from the Chargers to keep him - and he's said over and over and over again ever since the rumors of his departure started that he loves SD, loves his teammates, would ideally like to finish his career here but that if he is traded elsewhere or is let go that's not something ha can control and that's just the business side of things. His #1 priority is playing football.

In the NFL a player is fool not to take as much money as they can while they can b/c the game waits for no man and when it comes down to business - it's ruthless.

He showed up in the wrestling ring ONCE as a host on a monday night in the offseason.

How does that make him a dumbass worth trading away so we can pick-up an unproven rookie NT???

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555

Don't feel so bad for him Syd, Merriman is being fed what to say by his handlers in the interest of not raising anymore red flags on his already mutilated reputation. And the reason he doesn't already have a contract is more his own fault than the "dreaded business side" of the sport.

He was busted for steroids, he declined a necessary surgery that cost him an entire season, and when he came back he played like ****. He also puts himself in stupid situations off the field with sluts like Tila Tequila, and getting into this dumbass wrestling thing. If he were worth the money he thinks he is he'd already have a long term deal.

I call bullshit that he wants to stay here. And I think AJ did the same when he drafted English.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Its a matter of time until he's in a Ben Roethlisberger situation.

20. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    You're too funny. What NFL player truly has a committment to a team he plays for? EVERY NFL player has a committment to one thing......$$$$$$. When the time comes, he gives 100% committment (in my eyes) to the players and the team as a whole. I guess LT is a dumbass also and not committed to the team when he was here because he didn't bite the bullet for the team. It was all about him getting the ball. As far as I remember, SM always said how much he loves SD and would love to continue playing there. Hell, what player wouldn't want to play where he grew up? He was an East coast guy his whole football playing career and if not playing for the Bolts probably would want to go back. If you can't understand any of that then I guess there is no reason to try and get you to understand.

21. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I doubt very much that he is being told what say or not say. Steroids.....yes, he was busted for it but it wasn't like he was a cronic user (supposedly), it was reported that he passed all his tests prior to getting caught and passed them all afterwards. So it seems more like he rolled the dice because of his injury if anything. Not saying it makes it right but also doesn't mean he was a steroid abuser. Everyone looks at things in a different way, I look at it like he wanted to help the team and thought he could play through the injury and unfortunately found out he couldn't. To say he played like **** is a bit inaccurate. He playede like **** based on what you wanted out of him. For others understanding that coming off of a major surgery to your knee, well, you're gonna have a drop off on your play. This year should be a telling story as to whether we want to resign him or not. Exactly what wrestling "thing" are you talking about? They guy can't have something to take interest in? Did he wrestle someone that I missed that would make someone say that he he is involved with wrestling? So I guess that VJ isn't worth the money, or Gates or any other player who wants more money then a team is willing to give? Regarding TT, well, I'll chose to hold off on judgement because I truly don't know what happened just as much as you don't know what happened because neither of us were there, everything you hear is just hearsay. Plus, how long was he hanging with her without anything happening? The chick freaked out the one time and he is done with her. Sounds like a man with a good head on his shoulders. And the Rothleisberger comment, well, that's just laughable. Ben keep company with young girls in alcohol related situations and makes stupid choice. Merriman keeps himself busy with business ventures and has friends over his house to party as opposed to going to college bars. BIG difference.

22. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    haha, busted!

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    :icon_rofl: This is like when Bronco fans used to defend Cutler, or how Cowboy fans defended T.O. As long as the guy is wearing the right logo on his helmet they will come up with any bullshit rationale to excuse his actions.

If Merriman stays this year I hope he blows us all away and becomes comeback player of the year. But it would be foolish to give that guy a big deal.

24. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Oh you are sooooo lost. You chose to pick 2 players that fans tried to defend their actions......ON THE FIELD. You names 2 of the biggest idiots while on the field. So tell me, what has Merriman done on the field to fall into the same category as TO or Cutler? That's what I thought. Really, for those that want to drag Merrimans name through the mud, tell me, what has he done off the field that is worthy of calling him a dumbass or wanting him off the team? And keep in mind, were not talking how the average american acts in their every day life we are talking about sports athletes in their every day life. Let's also add in the fact that let's not compare a single guy to a married guy. That is like comparing apples to oranges. Any moron can tell that a married person has a different set of responsibilities then a single guy.

So you can turn your head if Merriman does good this year? He all of a sudden is a stellar employee and a person of character?

• Like Like x 1
  25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I'm going to stop you right there because the rest of your post is nonsense. Your starting to get too subjective about this.

I consider steroids, and not taking care of an LCL/PCL injury an on field issue. I consider beating women (allegedly), partying every night, traveling with an entorage, and expressing your desire to get in the wrestling ring off field issues. Or at least red flags.

The fact that Charger fans are the only fan base left that defends this guy, gives me the Cutler/Owens comparison.

The truth is if Shawne Merriman were Denver Bronco you would not be defending him right now....nuff said, end of story.

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. I'll take this over some of the mouthing off some of these yahoos do. Players are essentially property and Merriman has a philosophical attitude about it. Probably live to be 90.

27. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    This is just great we have the Huffington Post writing about one of our players. Never thought to look up the Sports page on that site. On second thought I never thought to look at that site period.

• Like Like x 1
  28. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Why would it be foolish? :icon_huh: If he performs well and helps our team win games, he should get the pay that he deserves (key word: deserves). If he blows us all away and gets 12 sacks and 90 or so tackles, he definitely deserves the contract. If he gets 4 sacks and 40 or so tackles, then it's time to move on because Larry English can give us that. Pay the man what he deserves!

Basically, if he earns a big deal he should get a big deal... 'nuff said

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I guess Fox can't cover everything.

30. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Nonsense because you can't defend it. So tell me, are you married? I'm sure if you are you will deny it only to try and make your point but any guy changes once they get married. And they're a liar if they say differently. Regarding his injury, is it not also the fault of the medical staff? Doesn't the team have the responsibility to shut a player down if they believe that he is not capable of going? So beating women (allegedly) is wrong, we both agree but you yourself just proved my point (thank you)....**allegedly**. You have no proof, nor do I, that he ever did. If it was indeed true then I'm sure he would have been charged and arrested and he wasn't. So you want to accuse him of something that he wasn't charged for....truly classless if you ask me. Also, please tell me about this partying every night. Really, come on.....enlighten me. So he talks about wrestling, until he "actually does it" why would anyone hold him accountable? It truly is a sad situation that you are led around by your collar and believe everything you here. Try and prove anything you accuse him of as being fact, and I'm not talking about him saying he wants to get into the ring, it's when he actually does, then you can accuse him of being a dumbass but until he actually gets charged with a crime, or climbs into a ring to put his football career in jeopardy,,,,,everything you speak of is the thoughts of someone who believes the supermarket tabloids. And that is pretty sad.
    I'm glad that they spoke with Jammer because he is someone who actually knows and hangs around Merriman and he himself said that all that talk was just that....talk. Sorry, but I would be more believing of Jammer then some reporter on the character of Merriman. Obviously you are a believe of the National Enquirer.