1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Hughes checks in from symposium

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Brandon Hughes

The Chargers’ eight 2009 draft picks are in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida this week for the annual NFL Rookie Symposium, and cornerback Brandon Hughes provides Chargers.com with this exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the event.
    It’s been a long couple of days with a lot of information being thrown at us, but it’s been a great experience.

We got here on Saturday night and had the night to ourselves but we didn’t do much. We just relaxed and got our minds right for the week. I’m rooming with Kevin Ellison. Everyone in our draft class gets along really well. We’ve used this time to bond a little more and create cohesiveness between us.

The wakeup call came early Sunday morning. We were up at 6:30 getting ready, and it felt like 3:30 because our bodies were still on West Coast Time. We started the day with an early breakfast and then headed straight to the auditorium for meetings.

We go from one meeting to the next and it’s a lot of information to consume. Meetings start at 8 a.m. and end around 9 p.m. We take a 45 minute lunch break and have one two-hour break in the afternoon. The days are spent listening to a lot of different people letting us know what to expect and what life brings your way once you become an NFL player.

Arthur Hightower, the Chargers Player Development Director, has been meeting with the rookies since we arrived in San Diego a few weeks ago so this week is kind of a refresher course on a lot of the things we’ve already been talking about. It’s still a very positive experience getting to listen to a lot of different speakers.

It feels like we’ve covered every topic in the book. We’ve heard about everything from how the NFL Players Association functions to the dangers of drug abuse. We’ve sat through sessions on domestic violence, financial advising, dealing with the media and learning to say no to the people who reappear in your life when they find out you just became an NFL player.

There are a lot of current and former players that come to the symposium to share their experiences. I can’t even remember all the names, but guys like Kevin Mawae, Jerome Bettis, Chris Long, Eddie Royal, Mike Tomlin, Cris Carter and NFL PA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith have spoken to us. Yesterday a couple former Chargers, Marcellus Wiley and Akbar Gbaja Biamila, spoke about their experiences with guns. They talked about how having a gun has never helped anyone they’ve known. As a player sitting in the audience, you take it for what it’s worth. These are guys who have walked in your shoes.

There’s been a lot of role playing. There are actors that put themselves in situations we might encounter. Hopefully we won’t have to encounter many of them, but reality is that there are guys in that room that will be in some of those situations. It provides you with an opportunity to think critically about how you’d act in those circumstances.

Today we’re going to a football clinic for some local high school kids. We’re going to spend the morning coaching those guys and giving them insights on football and life. Then in the afternoon we’re back to our normal routine. The clinic will be a nice break, but more than that it’ll be a good opportunity to help some kids. We wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for youth football programs, so it’s always a great opportunity to encourage a young guy. You hope that you might even give them some information that could help them on or off the field.

We head back to San Diego tomorrow but there’s still a lot of information to soak up. I feel blessed to be here. It’s just another moment where I’ve realized how fortunate I am to be on the verge of my first NFL training camp.

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    "Our next Speaker is Plaxico Burress who will talk to you about the improper way to put a gun in your sweats while you're up in the strip club......"

• Like Like x 1
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    "And after that, we'll have Michael Vick explain the importance of being fast when you are federally incarcerated". :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    "And then Mr. Adam Jones will be speaking to the rookies on the importance of making sure that you pay off bouncers at a strip club (Cuz ya know, you're an NFL star) before you get drunk and grope the dancers..."

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I heard Ryan Leaf was supposed to provide a symposium on player-media relations but they ended up giving the job to Chad Johnson.

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Michael Vick: How I went into prison a quarterback, and left a tight-end

• Like Like x 2
  7. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Haha Great.

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Really? I thought Pacman spoke about how to "make it rain".

:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    lol, and then he gave a seminar on anger management.

In all honesty, if you wanna convince rookies to play it smart and not waste their talent/money, just bring in Mr. Leaf.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Donte' Stallworth and Steve Foley will talk about the dangers of drinking and driving

11. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    "And it was explained to us that the reason they're called ho's is 'cause they hose ya."

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    And here I though a "HO" was a garden tool.:icon_huh:

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's great stuff guys.....

BUT WAIT!

We have a guest speaker live from Federal Prison, Mr. Bernald Madoff will teach you all how to invest the millions of dollars many of you will receive.....:icon_eek: