1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I Am a Football Fan, and have been for a long, long time

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Walker, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Walker

Walker BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I can't believe some of the posts I read on this forum regarding the hiring of Norv. Hell, I thought the Cowboy fans were nuts, but this is something else.

The management has decided to bring in a cast of coaches that they believe will take this team to the next level. They have shown in the past that they are pretty savvy when it comes to identifying NFL quality players, and only ended up with a 14 and 2 record last year due to their efforts.

Yes the coaches matter. Of course they do. It is obvious. But, think for a second.

They are bringing in coaches who know the system, who believe in the system and the players that are already here, and we haven't even seen the results of the Combine yet.

It's a drag that they did what they did when they did, but who will ever know the full story of what actually happened.

The future is bright with this team, and I am looking forward to the next few months because I believe there will be a heck of a lot of good decisions made.

I'm ready for the playoffs already next season, and there is no doubt in my mind that it will happen.

The negative people on various forums for various teams irk me to no end.

The sky is falling!

No, at least here in SD, it isn't.

The sky is the friggin limit.

Sorry for the long rant, but this type of thing drives me wacky after awhile. Support the damn team, dammit! The Bolts just had the best season of any team in the league!

• Like Like x 1
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    The positive people on various forums for various teams irk me to no end. :abq1:

3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Nice to see a different viewpoint. I am not happy with the hirings but I can tell that AJ hired the guys he could slap in place and throw the playbooks we used last year at them and say do the same or better. I in no way think we will regress, I just think there were better choices out there that may have been able to add to what we already have, not just keep us at the status quo.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Pretty much more of what I said earlier.

AJ is the man.

I BELIEVE!

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Nobody else wanted Norv as a HC since he was fired from Washington!
    The only reason he got the HC job in Oakland is because nobody else wanted that job!

I'm a Chargers fan and I want to win dispite of who the coach is.
    I hope Norv proves me wrong but I wouldn't put money on it!

All I can say is we better have a draft in 2007 that will make 2004 look like **it!!!:yes:

6. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    AND in the last few years since he retired more than half the NFL has had coaching changes. Many of these coaches were over Norv Turner.

BTW the Washington Red Skins still suck. Maybe it wasnt the coach afterall.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    two words
    Daniel Snyder

8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Yeah, smart guys, tell me, what has his former teams done since Norv left them?

Pretty much as ****** as when he was there, if not worse in the case of Oakland.

Give the guy a chance.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

It WAS the coach!!!
    At that time, Redskins had plenty of talent but he couldn't put it together!!

That's why nobody else offered him a job as HC and why he accepted the job in Oakland!!

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Gibbs is a HOF coach and he can't get those ***.holes in Washington to win either.

Al is destroying Oakland single handedly, don't fault Norv for taking a job as a HC.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Different time, different players and Gibbs had his days.

I could have told you that but he still had enough talent to get more than 4 wins each season.

12. Walker

Walker BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    If I hear one more person say that a great coach can't relate to "the players of today" I just may barf on their dog.

Do players of a certain sport now have a certain language that is not able to be understood by the coach?

If so, that is ridiculous and stupid, and I am tired of hearing this ignorant meme be spread. It's like saying the players can't understand their fathers because they came from a different generation.

13. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Please show me the Evidence that without Norv Turner the Redskins would have won a superbowl? Went to more playoff games?

You have any evidence at all to put the blame entirely on the coach?

The Red skins have a terrible front office. Horrible owner. He threw money at the problem trying to buy players that don't fit the scheme. People will cite the QB pick by Turner. However he was a lot better than the one the Front office wanted.

When Norv got the Red Skins they were a failing franchise with a bunch of old players that refused to take orders from him or anyone else. They had some greats, beyond their prime. They tried to buy players who didnt work well together then they blame Norv Turner.

Look at the facts

The Redskins sucked before Norv Turner. Did decent with him, and sucked afterwards. It took 5-6 years for them to get their act together and they even failed after that.

Now I am waiting for yours...

O and please no crappy fan blogs about how "they as fans experienced it" Sorry but they also think the Redskins are a good team when in fact their crap.

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Solid post, Walker. The sky ain't fallin' here in Chico either. Just because the team made a "safe" choice and went with the guy who has the least dynamic personality doesn't mean it won't produce positive results. It's just boring, that's all. So be it. I still think it's the Bolts and Donks down the stretch for the AFC West title.

I'm cool with that. :tup:

PS - I just hope some of the "leaders" in that locker room kick the **** out of any of their teammates who feel the need to make ridiculous headlines off the field. 'Cause I don't know if Norv has the stones to do it.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    How am I suppose to do that? Look into a crystal ball?

Look. If Norv was a good HC, we would not be having these discussions, would we?
    There sure as Hell wouldn't be all these pale faces either!!!:icon_evil:

16. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    You just proved my point. One can't make claims and statements without any evidence backing it up. However this is the argument we are suppose to believe when people say Norv Turner is a horrible Head Coaching, the worst choice etc.

You can't put all the teams success on the head coach, just like you can't put all its failures are it either. The Redskins sucked they would of sucked without Norv Turner. However he did improve their offense to a point its still not at.

We have proof the Redskins sucked before and after, the reccord. We know the players were old and the team needed massive restructure. The Redskin players liked Norv Turner, he made good plays. He couldnt keep a handle on things and he couldnt make gold out of crap.

Put Belichick as Head coach to the Raiders. Give him 4 years to turn them around and make them a playoff team (which Turner did). See how well it turns out. My guess is for the first few years the record would suck, however they would slowly get better.