1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I don't get it, can someone explain?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JoeRockhead, Jan 18, 2010.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I know we are all very disappointed and upset right know. I know this was a complete shock and utter surprise. But up until yesterday everyone( except of course one guy that never seems happy at all) seemed to like what we had as a team and saw no troubles ahead. Now everyone wants to gut the team and start over again. We all new out running game sucked that much is true, but we seemed to be happy with the chemistry we had and how the team was playing. Mr. K let us down yesterday, and seems to be a kicker who can't get it done in the play-offs. Too much pressure. I feel the team just needs some tweaking and fixing here and there. Firing Norv and the staff is not going to help. We would have to start all over and that might mean rebuilding and learning a new system. Out will go the chemistry this team has. So why is it that this team needs to chop heads and fire everyone? Please explain, I don't understand. I know losing yesterday sucked, but do we want to revisit 2006 all over again? We were in the game we did not collapse. 3 missed kicks were the difference. The defense played hard and did well. The o- line did a decent job. We should have won. So Why start completley over with a new staff. I think that is too drastic.

2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    People are upset because they (included myself) felt that our previous teams were young and inexperienced, and that the core has matured into a unit with its eyes on the prize. If yesterday showed us anything, it is that the overall personality of the team is immature and underachieving, with players who have been in the core group like Phillips, Cooper, Cro, and Kaeding coming up smaller than even the role-players and "young" guys like Ellison, Siler, Gregory, etc.

We thought we had a team that has hit its prime and has matured into a cohesive team. It appears that while the team is in its prime in terms of talent, the maturity we thought that we saw was never there to begin with, and will likely never develop.

Accountability has been sorely lacking on this team for years--people have been acting as if their own interests come first and playing as if someone else will be talented enough to "cover their mistakes" instead of playing each play as if it is the final play of the Super Bowl.

3. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I've been watching this team since 1979. I have seen them win and lose. I have seen them lose more than win. I too wish they would win a Superbowl. But we aren't a Shi##y franchise. We have been winning. Heck, my second favorite team is the Lion's, I grew up in Michigan. I have seen a bad team in action. I bet those guys would love to trade places with us. I love this team, and it is hard to go through the heart break season after season. Especially this year when we all thought this team was really special. But being a true fan means you take the good with the bad. I HAVE been here as a fan, though I don't live in California. But I will not jump off the support I gave this group, staff and all when they were winning now, because they lost in the playoffs. That to me is wish washy. So yes, I'm mad we didn't go to the superbowl. But i'm not going to line everyone up and shoot them because they didn't. Sounds like Stalinism to me. Norv and company have been successful, although not as successful as we would like. But I do understand the viewpoint of slashing and burning. Frustration can lead to that. I still think this team with a little tweaking can have a chance to get to the big game next season. But I'm one man, trying to spread some light on a dark day. Not everyone will care.

4. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    How many failed trips to the playoffs do you need to convince you that Norv is not the guy? Hes had 2 as it stands now...

With such a talented team available...its on the coaches head to make sure the players are prepared for the game! None of the chargers players looked prepared for the game yesterday...thats Norvs head.

Marty suffered this fate and he made the team what it was! Norv inherited a great team and can't get it down.

5. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Well put. :clap:

With all of the yearly hyperbole of "what's different with this team compared to last years team" the answer still is a big fat "NOTHING." Last year they didn't have what it took to be champions and this year they didn't have what it took to be champions.

6. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    That really is the bottom line.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah... Bucs made the biggest mistake by firing Dungy and Hiring Gruden. They had to start all over again!!! :icon_rofl:

You don't want 2006 revisited... what are you saying? We should have kept Marty?

OH... and I'm sick of hearing abut Keading. Those drives should have ended in the endzone!!!

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :yes: :icon_evil:

9. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Gruden won with the players Dungy brought in. He beat the Raiders in the Super Bowl. A team he used to coach. After that he didn't do much of anything. Thats why he was FIRED.

10. count_agranoff

count_agranoff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I see us missing one important piece... that experienced guy who can tell the others... "I've been there and this is how it's done".

We don't have the one saavy, steady, veteran presence (like a LoNeal or Junior Seau) that can do that. AJ traded away many of the veteran's and ... let's face it... LT has never been that kind of guy.

So if you're out there and reading this Mr. A.J. Smith... go out and identify that missing veteran player, sign him up and get us to the Super Bowl.

12. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    We already tried to get Brian Dawkins :icon_tease:. Not like we need the help at safety.

A good option could be either Aaron Kampman if you want some speed or Johnny Jolly if you want beef, both are on Green Bay, and they do not have the cash to keep both.

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    Before yesterday we didn't get beat in our own home by a New York Jets team that was lucky to even be in the playoffs.

14. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    He was fired because he was a blue-ribbon ***hole that everyone hated.

15. Astro Zombie

Astro Zombie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    ^ This.

On top of that, for the offensive guru that he was, he couldn't develop a QB to save his life. He only ever showed any success with longtime vet QBs that had nothing to learn except the current playbook, i.e. Gannon, Johnson and Garcia.

I remember people hoping we'd replace Norv with him earlier this season, he'd have been a disaster with Rivers and our WR corps. And even bigger disaster at SC like some were hoping for last week.

16. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    We choked, yet again in the playoffs.

Plain and simple.

I also think the bye hurt our momentum in some way. The other teams with byes all won, but they didn't have the momentum like we had.

We choked.:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

But don't you have to make it to the Super owl in order to win it? How come they didn't have to "start over?"

How come a better coach can't win with the players that Norv "brought in?"

18. Vardog

Vardog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Living near G.B. I can tell you Kampman isn't going anywhere. Haven't heard about Jolly yet.

19. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    :wave:BOLTS4LIFE, I know you love this misery we are all having. You are a chicken Little and always will be. If you had been in charge in ww2 you would have surrendered because we lost a battle. You never have much positive to say, and I doubt you will ever be happy. If we win a super bowl in the next decade, you will find some kind of fault with the team. It kills you to be positive. Well, now you are stuck with Norv for 4 more years. I hope you survive without giving yourself a hemmorage. Doom and Gloom will not make anyone feel better. Gruden was handed his ring on a silver platter. Dungy was not allowed to finish what he started. If he had coached the team that year He would have taken them to the Super Bowl. Gruden beat a Raiders team he built and knew like a book. Please quit spouting off in every thread and ruining it. I have seen more losses and disappointments from this team than you ever have. I have been a Charger fan since I was 12.
    That is 31 years sir. So don't presume to try and put me in my place with all your negative Propaganda. This team is not perfect and you are allowed your opinion, but please keep it to one or 2 threads. You are a downer and i'm down enough already. Let's talk constructively about what can be done to help the team, without all the mud slinging. You are a long standing member of this forum. Use your status to build and not destroy. You and your disciples could have some good topics for discussion, if you stopped with the constant negative drum beating. You would have Keeled over as a Red Sox fan. You would have fired the manager every season. The Bills didn't fire their coach becuase he couldn't win a Super Bowl. They got there yes, but always lost. Sam with the Vikings. So whole sale firings is NOT always the answer. Peace Man.:icon_wink:

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Don't kid yourself, B4L is a die hard Bolt fan. There are a couple teams he like's to view when the Bolt's aren't playing, and there is nothing wrong with that. Heck, I like to watch the Stiller's play and any team opposite the Raiduds.

I'm sure of it, though it is only a guess. That B4L is kicking backing and LHAO during most of these back and forth engagement's. I know I do. :icon_toast:

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Did you read what you posted before that comment about mud slinging?
    With that said... I've been following the Chargers since I was 10 and I'm now 41. So don't talk like you know me.

Some times it is positive to tear down the negative. I think AJ and Norv are bad for this franchise. So I'm not going to blindly cheer and say they're great when I know their bad.
    So yes... I wanted to see a change that can bring this team to it's fullest potential AND THAT'S POSITIVE!!!

The rest of the garbage isn't worth acknowledging but I don't believe that the Bucs would have won the Super Bowl had they kept Dungy.
    Again... they didn't have to start anything over so why would we would have to?

22. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    :flowers:

I must say you do make the forums interesting.
    Kind of the the villian you can't help but follow.
    We agree to disagree, and you keep beating that drum. :icon_tease:

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    No drum beating. I don't think AJ will ever take his hand out of his little puppet's backside.

Though if Jets with the whole thing... that will be a MAJOR black eye to AJ's credibility nation wide!!!
    Which seriously makes me wonder if Rex and Singletary flat out didn't want to coach here. They knew someone would pick them up sooner or later.

24. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Rex did, at least at first. He was the most enthusiastic for the position by far, and according to reports he was the only other candidate who they even started talking contracts with. His press conference after his initial interview was outstanding, whereas Norv was Norv. If you go by what the local media reported, the reason why they ended up not going with Rex was all due to Ted Cottrell. AJ had made it clear that Fat Teddy would be the DC of any head coach he brought in, and Rex wanted Donnie Henderson.

I think that AJ's insistence on shoving Ted onto any incoming head coach probably did end up influencing some of the candidates from staying away. Having a DC chosen for him obviously isn't a problem for Norv.

• Like Like x 1
  25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    That goes to show that AJ ****ed us.
    If Rex wins the whole thing then he owes all Chargers fans an apology!!!

26. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Where is Ted now btw?

27. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    We all had it in the back of our minds that we needed an every-down running back. It's the total collapse that has us all in shock. This team was good enough to win the Super Bowl if only they played mistake-free football.

You can't blame anyone for being critical of Norv and his approach to the Jets game.