1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I don't get this

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Apr 23, 2010.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I'm hearing critizisim (local radio) about drafting a RB in the first round, saying that in today's passing oriented NFL you don't need a top flight RB, if that's the case, then you don't need a top-flight NT to stop opposing running backs

am I missing something here?

BTW I did want Ryan Mathews, I do wan't a good running game to make a great passing offense unstopable, and I do want a NT

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Not that agree with the notion that you don't need a good RB but the NT does more than just stop the other team's RB. He clogs up their OL so your linebackers can attack their QB and disrupt their passing game.

3. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Everyone has their own side of the fence they want to sit on and everyone will have their own reasons why we should have or shouldn't have taken him when we did. Bottom line is that AJ & Co saw a need that they had and new exactly what it was going to take to fill that need. Far be it for me to question what he did. I wanted RM and we got him. I could care less how we did but just that we did. Remember folks, other teams have the same needs we do and it isn't as simple as sitting back and letting that player fall into your lap. The Bolts believed that their player was going to be taken before they had a chance and they made their move. Had they sat back and lost him and drafted someone like Cody then there would have been people in here freaking out how we took him too early with our pick. He dictated what he wanted to do and didn't let the draft dicatate who he got.

4. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    And a top flight RB does more than just run the ball, he needs to be a factor in the passing game. He needs to be able to pass block and be able to catch the ball too. having a top RB also forces defense to not play back every play waiting for the pass, you dont think our passing game can improve if there is a even a slight threat of a running game?

5. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Thats why i've been thinking too.

6. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I like that we got Ryan Mathews, I just don't like HOW we got him. I wanted to get a player with that #40 pick.

All we can do now is trust in A.J. because he was obviously sold on Mathews and he made sure he got him - no matter the price. This kind of reminds me of the Ricky Williams deal, just not to that extent.

7. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Now that we have matthews we can trade sproles and his 7million dollar contract:icon_shrug:

8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Concur. With a good running game, our already good offense will become great.

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    It really doesn't matter. Had we taken a NT with the first pick, there would have been a whole bunch of "we needed a running back, why didn't we draft one" posts.

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Sproles is the only veteran RB we have left, and a damn good X factor in the return and screen game.

AJ sure as hell won't GIVE him away for cheap.

11. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    ESPN:
    =========================================
    NFL Draft 2010
    Originally Published: April 23, 2010
    First round: 10 best 'marriages'

4. Ryan Mathews RB, San Diego Chargers: The Chargers traded plenty to move up 16 slots for Mathews, but it will be worth it in the end. He now joins an offense stocked with Pro Bowl talent. He also gets to share time with a proven playmaker in Darren Sproles and run the ball for a head coach (Norv Turner) who's at his best with an effective ground game. In other words, Mathews should be the front-runner for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year.
    =========================================

I like hearing stuff like this!

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Exactly thank you. There will ALWAYS be people not happy on how we drafted. Hell, I'm still hearing crap like "Why did we draft Philip Rivers for? We already had a great QB!" :icon_evil:

13. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    From what I am hearing and seeing, the front office folks saw Mathews as "the complete package" at RB. That being said, on the current roster we have no primary RB, Sproles is a situational scatback/reciever/returner who should not be running into a pile at the line of scrimmage. We also have 2 "fullbacks"....ok, 1 fullback (Tolbert) and one career special teamer (Hester). On the other hand we have a lot of defensive linemen in our fabled "bunch of guys off of the street" D-line. My guess is that the front office figured that the guys we currently have are acceptable and that there was enough of a drop off in talent after the first few D-lineman on the board that they decided to lock up Mathews and go after the best available athlete when their next pick rolled around.

Looking ahead, if we have a legitimate run game that can get us a 3rd and 2 more often than not we can sustain drives, eat up clock and keep the defense off of the field. Mathews doesn't have to be half of our offense like LT used to be...it would be nice, but not a requirement. It should be fun to watch...and a lot less frustrating.

I watched some of the footage on Donald Butler, looks like we got another good one. I miss the breakfast draft parties...listening to it on the radio at work stinks.

14. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    It may be a passers league but if we had a better running game we would have beaten the Jets. We didn't lose because of our defense, yes they gave up some big plays but overall they held up their own. The offense wasn't able to get going without a running game.

Now with Mathews and Sproles we have potentially a great duo that compliment one another.

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, but as I said I don't agree with that notion for the many reasons you state here.

16. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I'd be a lot happier today if we got Dan Williams in the 1st and having to fill our RB need.

17. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Pre-draft, that would have been my take also. it would have appeared to have gained "best value" and filled our most glaring need.

However, we know from the thousands of wild mocks that the majority of people on the outside of the process - fans, jounos etc know very little. Secondly, the Bolts braintrust must be happier with our immediate situation at DL than they were with RB.

That said, with the quality prospects still on the board, I can't believe we wont grab a DL with the 4 Rd.
    A trade of a next year 3rd for a this years 4th would also allow us to pick up a useful looking TE.

18. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Thankfully Cam Thomas is still on the board and we have a high 4th rounder