1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I feel the earth, move, under my feet...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sydalish, May 17, 2009.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Been awhile since we had a good shake eh? 5.0 in LA - this is what I get for trying to go to bed early :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  2. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    I sure felt it. I was so surprised it wasn't 6 or greater to feel it that far away, until I looked it up and saw it was on the Newport-Inglewood Rose Canyon fault.

As to the title of this thread, back in the 90's when there was a big 7 pointer (don't remember where now) but as soon as I felt it, I turned on the radio to hear where it was. I turned on 760 and the first thing I heard was that song, then they talked about the quake.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
  4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Didn't feel nuthin' :no: :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Well as long as the sky doesn't come tumblin' down, I think things will be OK. :icon_mrgreen:

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I thought that happens every time we lose a game

7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I remember two from when I was a kid, Northridge and another one... this one had nothin' on those two! Still, it's one of the strongest I've felt in awhile - last summer there was the one in Chico that was pretty "big" too but it was much shorter.

I always end up thinking of this song when we get a shaker :lol: I think it may be for a similar reason... subconscious association? hehe 760 is likely the first radio station my Mom would have tuned to back then.

8. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    So - were you already shakin and bakin on the karaoke stage or unconscious? :lol::tup:

To this day I still remember being at my Grandparents house in Downey, CA back in the summer of 1952 - (I'm quite a bit older than dish) - crawling under my bed - then having to keep crawling because the bed was moving. Scared hell out of my Grandpa - he couldn't find me to get me in a doorway he knew was sturdier than the rest of the house. I also recall our refrigerator had moved to the other side of the kitchen. :D

The epicenter of that one was a looooong way away from us, but back then we didn't know what an epicenter was - we just knew what an earthquake was and were proud to survive it.

I just looked that one up - a 7.3 all the way up in Kern County - long way away from East L.A. but it sure shook us up. Granny was picking stuff up off the floor all week! ;)

A couple of weekends later, we drove out to Tehachapi and saw what looked like a war zone to my young mind out there. It really shook my Granny up and made her feel bad for having been complaining about our little bit of damage. I remember when we got back home, Grandpa was out back installing metal straps on our water heater trying to secure it against the next "big one" he just knew was coming. ;)

9. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    At that time I had a radio on the headboard and that was the quickest way. I knew it was a big one because I kept wondering when my shower door was going to quit rattling...must have lasted at least 10 seconds. I then got up and went into the dining room to turn on the TV and kept watching. About 10 hours later (it was about 2 AM) while still watching TV another good shaker happened, but in a different location and on the wall behind me I had a mirror with shelves. Was lucky it wasn't stronger or it would have landed on my head. Also, I rarely felt any quakes compared to others, I think because the ground was so hard, took weeks to soften up the ground enough to plant flowers etc.

10. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    I heard Pat Abbott interviewed on the news and he said something like the next big one we get on the Rose Canyon fault may not come for 400 years. But sometime in the last few years when he was interviewed he and others claimed the next big one would be within 30 years....wonder why they've extended the date now....

11. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Interesting - hadn't picked up on that.