1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I foresee a potentially big problem...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bigmike.x.09, Aug 22, 2009.

1. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I'm watching the Titans-Dallas game this morning and during warm-ups, Tennessee's punter hit the jumbotron 4 times. I don't know how great of a punter the Titans have, but I'm pretty sure that if the need to punt comes up when WE visit Dallas, Scifres is gunna get boned. :icon_eek: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    link
    The Tennessee Titans felt they exposed a major flaw in Cowboys Stadium during the first football game played in the building when reserve punter A.J. Trapasso hit the gigantic HD screen that hangs over the field.

Both Trapasso, an undrafted rookie out of Ohio State, and veteran Craig Hentrich hit the video board in warm-ups and marveled at how engineers, architects and ownership failed to anticipate the issue.

"I hit it probably a dozen times in pregame," Hentrich said. "Probably somewhere around a five-second punt is going to hit it and some of the guys in the league wouldn't be able to punt here if it's not raised, they'd just be non-stop hitting it. I don't know what the people were thinking. I guess they should have tested things out before they put that thing in place. It'll have to be raised."

Trapasso said he didn't try to hit the board during the game, but admitted warm-ups were different.

He joked that San Diego's Mike Scifres "might put a hole in the bottom of that thing." The Chargers are scheduled to play in Arlington on Dec. 13.

Assuming Scifres has to punt that game.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    how do people make such gigantic screw ups in such massively expensive projects?

and yeah i think that might be a fun poll as our date with the cowpokes draws near

5. Kaylee

Kaylee BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    If Scifres knocked out Jerry Jones' precious little video screens he'd be a hero to millions.

:icon_toast:

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Never before have I been so proud to be a member of a group so plentiful. :tup:

7. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    hopefully the idiots will raise the screens to 120feet+ before the regular season starts, who the hell messed that one up?:icon_huh:

8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    There are far too many smart people involved for this to be a "stupid oversight".
    The screens were set at this height for a reason, they have to be raised before the October 20th U2 concert.
    I suspect that this is nothing more than a mind game for the first couple of opponents.
    The real issue will be, can skeletor set the height at will to mess with opposing kickers?

9. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    if our line chokes one like they did today, were ****ed

10. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...According to "skeletor", he has no intention of raising the scoreboard. Supposedly, acording to him, the scoreboard's height falls within the NFL's guidelines.

The scoreboard height issue(potential punting problem thing) arised during discussions, long before they erected it. Looks like a clearcut bonehead mistake by the NFL. The builders just put it where the architects drew it up and where Captain Skeletor wanted his monstrous masterpeiece :tdown::tdown:

11. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Jerry Jones is a laugh a second. He will move the scoreboard someday.

12. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    When Jerry goes down to the sidelines like he always does, I'm sure he will bump his ego on it...What a ******* troll!

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The ONLY potential problem I see is lack of Yelling in this freakin' forum!!! :icon_evil:

Stop with the whispering!!! :icon_twisted:

14. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    If that overgrown monument to Jerry Jones' ego doesn't get moved, Scifres should just keep punting the ball into it over and over and over and over till the NFL gets the message. Break a few bulbs while you're at it, too.

15. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    chill- it was only the second pre-season game