1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks Gates is washed up...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ikeman83, May 14, 2013.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,366
    Well, if a 1/3 is the same as 1/2, and 11=16, then I can say that 21=16, so until you name 21 teams that Gates would not start on, you have not proved that he would not start on half the teams in the league. Abusing numbers is fun.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    So you acknowledge that this discussion is ridiculous and pointless, great

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,366
    The point of this discussion was to discuss how he knows so much more than the blind homer fans who still think Gates is an asset to the team. As proof, he provided the opinion of a sports radio host turned fantasy football analyst that no one has ever heard of. This thread really isn't about Gates at all. It's about Ikeman's superior knowledge of football. Don't you know that the whole point of this forum is for Ikeman to bestow his wisdom upon the rest of us?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    If Telesco decides that eating 5M worth of dead cap to release Gates next year is worth freeing up 2.5 mil of cap space, we'll have the opportunity to see how many other teams would be interested in him as a starter in less than a year.

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Red: False, the point of the thread was to demonstrate that I am not the only one who thinks that Gates is washed up, and that TE has become a talent black hole on this team.
    Bold: If the author of the article is a former sports radio host, then it stands to reason that he has indeed been heard of. Since I did indeed find someone who is of the same opinion as I am, then yes, this was the proof I needed to support the thread title.

6. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,366
    So you were also wrong about the cap hit if we cut Gates. Is there anything related to Gates that you aren't wrong about? Can you at least admit you were wrong about this one? I'm sure that's too much to ask.

7. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,366
    OK, so now your saying that Gates is not washed up now but will be a year from now. Got it. Just keep on backpedaling.

• Like Like x 1
  8. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,366
    I talked to a homeless guy on the street in front of Starbucks who said that Gates was the best athlete in the history of the universe who would continue to break records for the next hundred years. And he told me his name, so I've heard of him.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Impossible. "You can't fix stupid".

10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I didn't say that at all. I said that in that set of circumstances, we'll find out how many other teams think he's a starter.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Ikeman's been ripped apart and yet he still keeps spewing sh!t. Reminds me of this scene:

12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Hmmmm, former sports radio talk show host with a job writing for NFL.com is now the equivalent of a homeless guy on the street in front of Starbucks. Got it.

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Is this the same Ikeman who believes that "Double Iced Decaf Caramel Cinnamon Dolce Macchiato Latte" is real?

(for the unimportant record, the only thing I ever get at Starbucks is black coffee, but I'm always amused at how long most
    of the other customers' orders are...just an inside ref re. my 'Bob Sanders now working at Starbucks' joke on another thread)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    You could get any drink double-iced and decaf I suppose, and Starbucks does indeed make a Cinnamon Dolce Frappucino (http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drink...ges/cinnamon-dolce-frappuccino-blended-coffee), which is what I assumed you were referring to.

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,205
    Blue: Thank you for invalidating your arguments as Gates is under contract. Check... Mate... Toodles.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Actually, what makes it not so surprising that Gates is still on the team in spite of the clear youth movement on the team is how punitive the structuring of his contract makes cutting him. Even veteran players under contract (like Spikes, for example) are easy to release if you don't have to bear substantial punitive costs. Had I been aware of just how hard AJ/MacGuire bound this team to Gates, I probably would've been less surprised at his continued presence on the roster.

17. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    No helmet required - fire away folks .... the bullets just bounce off this cranium.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    Give it up dude, right now you're trying to sell sex toys to the Pope, it ain't going to happen. You can argue how much you hate the guy until you're black and blue in the face (admit it you do, you wouldn't trying to fight your opinion of him being washed up if you didn't just a little) you asked for a video of him running well, I gave you a video of him running well for 3 minutes and some odd seconds with some crappy music to go with it................you're welcome

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    He ran well for about 30 seconds in the 3 minute clip, which is his highlight reel. I don't hate him in the slightest. If anything, I feel an extreme sense of regret that his career, which otherwise would have assuredly been 1st Ballot HoF caliber, has been marred by this injury, AJ's failure to properly build a roster, and Norv's inability to use the roster he had. The decline in his talent has been catastrophic for his ability to contribute to the team, and the blindness of (apparently) everyone else on this forum to that reality is heartwarming from a standpoint of loyalty, albeit frustrating.

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    Again, he always never was a fast guy, he was always credited with his route running as being one of the best, still is.
    Who's to say he won't be a first ballot HOF player? he hasn't retired yet and regardless of first ballot 2nd ballot 3rd or 4th he's a pioneer who has greatly changed the position. You're also suggesting he has declined which I clearly do not see other than a minor drop here or there. Basically he is making a ton of money, he's our QB's favorite target, he's still a weapon, he's still on the team, and he's still going to continue to make plays

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Except, with Tomlinson, his numbers were dwindling down each year since 2007 compared to other decent runningbacks in the league at that time.. Gates, though not spectacular by any means, certainly hasn't had major drops in his performance; it's not like he's a WR, so we shouldn't expect 1000+ yards and 10+ TD seasons out of Gates each year. Plus, we shouldn't use that as a goal for Gates' effectiveness each year, either, because it isn't very fair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I hardly find Gates washed up, but maybe I'm just a stupid homer. Bow down to Mati and Ikeman :notworthy:

23. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Just because a guy works for NFL.com does not mean he is a good writer. That is like saying that you write on BoltTalk so you must be a good analyst.

24. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353
    To be honest, I am not sure I even understand this? The decline in his talent? Can't say I have ever heard of anyone having a decline in talent. Talent is intangible. He may have declined physical skills/tools, or decline in his desire to play the game, not a decline in talent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,205
    I guess that is as good as any bit of fouled logic to question... Throw a dart at most of his posts and you are certain to hit some more... ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  26. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Gates still draws double teams every game. If you don't see the value in that, then please leave and exit the conversation. Also 7 TD's in nothing to scoff at.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  27. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,358
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Oh, and ikeman, I wouldn't want Gronk. He's too fragile:

Hell, he's had more surgeries than Gates. :roflmao:

29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Dang...I kinda miss fun phrasing like that...

Screen Shot 2013-05-17 at 5.15.19 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
  30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I'd like to see LaDarius Green learn a thing or two from Gates before he leaves too, kid has a mountain of physical talent, reminds me a bit of Jimmy Graham.

• Agree Agree x 1