1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks Gates is washed up...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ikeman83, May 14, 2013.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +348
    Wait a minute.....We need some sort of tiebreaker in this thread. We have way to many "Winners" in here. :tup: :abq1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions. It's a proven fact!

3. Scott Kirby

Scott Kirby BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the ALMOST washed up camp. Its been a LONG time since he did any real damage other than making a touchdown now and then. But his days of striking fear in opposing Defenses seem to be over.

BUT now that we have at least a LITTLE better O Line he might improve. Hopefully Mt. Fluker can protect him a little bit; enough to get an extra couple seconds for Phillip and that might improve Gates catches. But he reallly hasn't been good.

4. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +348
    With no real threat on the outside for this team, teams won't have to do that. It's so much different losing a Vincent Jackson, and picking up a bunch of castoffs when it comes to a team game planning against us. It's much harder for a team to game plan for VJ, and Gates beats you, and then at halftime you adjust and try and take Gates out of the picture and VJ beats you, than it is for someone to take try and take Gates out and hope that Floyd doesn't beat you. Gates still demands double teams on most every passing down, and still put up average to above average numbers. I would still say that holds some weight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +628
    Teams had a hard time game planning in 2010 when Gates was hurt and VJ was on his couch whining about a new comtract. The key is, was, and always will be the OL protecting River

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +348

And while I agree with the OLine comment, protecting a teams QB is #1 for any team. The comment at hand was the fact that Gates no longer strikes fear into opposing defenses gameplans. Which IMO is 100% wrong. The fact is, with no real threat on the outside Gates is the only threat. I mean how many teams when game planning do you think say we have to make sure we stop Malcolm Floyd!!!! Let Gates run free, but make sure we limit Floyd's catches? :unsure:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +628
    Who were our threats in 2010? That is the point, with good protection, we don't need big names on the outside as we saw in 2010.

Who cares is is being shut down, as long as others are open. I couldn't care less if Gates gets doubled every single play and ends up with only 500 yards, because it means the WR's will end up with 3500+ yards combined

8. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +348
    lol, maybe I am not making myself very clear. No one is arguing the fact that Rivers needs to be protected. If you argue that, then you know little to nothing about football. But that arguement is moot because EVERY team wants to do that to be successful. I am referring to the comment at hand which is that Gates no longer is a threat that teams have to gameplan for. Move passed Philip Rivers, and go away from a season that we are not even talking about.

The original post was about Gates not being a threat anymore. I simply said that not having a legitimate threat on the outside is part of the reason. I did not say the WHOLE reason, but it is part of the reason. That is all I was saying.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +628
    And the post that I replied to was about losing VJ and how we don't have a threat on the outside. The point is, that you apparently are missing, is that even in 2010 when we didn't have VJ, Rivers did perfectly fine, and i couldn't give a rats *** if Gates gets a ton of catches and yards or not, the TEAM can win games no matter who is catching the ball

10. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I don't think Antonio Gates is the player he was even 2-3 years ago, but that doesn't equate with being 'washed-up'. 'Washed-up' is Brett Favre playing long after he retired the first time. 'Washed-up' is Johnny Unitas when he played for the Chargers at the end of his career. Gates may not be as young and fit as he used to be, but I wouldn't count him out just yet.

• Like Like x 1